Please read: Talking Point updates

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi cragmaid,

Thanks for your questions.

:eek:What...where ....when....WHY???????:eek:
First question....why have you removed the general forum and put so many sub-forums in it's place?

The reasons for adding sub-forums on more specific topic areas are explained here.

I know that you think it helps to split things up into their categories, however many of my posts are seeking advice regarding my Mother and her various problems, so do I put them in
a) I care for someone
b)They are mid stage
c) difficult feelings
when really it might be something which affects all areas.:confused::confused::confused: Likewise I now have many places to go to to browse where before I usually only needed two sections and quickly found where the rest were if needed.

You could post in any of those sections - whichever you felt most comfortable in. For example: just as before the updates, a younger person with dementia might post in

'I have dementia' or
'Younger people with dementia' or
'Support for people with dementia and their carers'.

There are more options to choose from now, but as explained above, having one very large area in which members posted about a myriad of different topics, wasn't practical for a number of reasons.

As for searching, if you want to search across all forums, you can either click on 'Most recent posts' to view the latest posts, or you can use the Search facility to search for discussions on a particular topic.

Second question: why did you have to swap the sides for the navigation and the reply/post tabs. I've hit reply umpteen times when I wanted to navigate.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The answer to this question is here.

I hope this helps, but do come back to me if any of the above isn't clear. :)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The Tea room says "not dmentia related" though Izzy, which is why we are thinking of moving our (i.e. loo's and my) thread to the Difficult thoughts thread as that is now viewable only by members now too. It was only placed in the Iea room for privacy reasons.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's a thought. Although I post a lot of nonsense on Bill's thread it still is basically about his Dementia. I don't think it fits into difficult feelings but I don't want it in the public area.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I wondered if the 3 positive threads should be in the tea room.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?46743-Listing-3-positives-for-the-day!

When I went to the Alz Soc user group forum at Headquarters one thing that was commented on was that there is a lot of heartache in the threads and I feel this thread has a very positive stance that may encourage other people who are dipping in to see that there is light in a dark place
only my opinion but just wanted to say why I like it to be a frontline sort of post!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I don't think it fits into difficult feelings but I don't want it in the public area.
That's the trouble - I'm not sure what' exactly 'difficult thoughts means'. Loo and i write about our feelings etc. - but are these thoughts? not sure.
'Difficult thoughts' can mean so many things and covers many threads in other sub- forums.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think (but don't quote me) is that this new sub-forum in the Tea Room is for anything that isn't strictly speaking Tea Room material (as in "This forum is a place to relax, unwind and share your jokes, pictures and stories that may not relate to dementia. Posts in this area are only visible to members of Talking Point.") but where someone would, for whatever, put a thread which they only want members to be able to read (and also won't come up on something like a google search). So my feeling is that if a thread was originally placed in the Tea Room for privacy, it would tend to go in this new sub-forum.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm sure Katherine will comment tomorrow. There's no real urgency, and these are just my own thoughts on the issue.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Well i had no problems at all i always use the Todays posts and it is just the same,you get all the latest posts and don't really need to go anywhere else except if you want to find a post that you have participated in then you just go on "my posts" at the top ,

I like the new TP ,

Jeany x

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I don't have any significant problems with the new look - although it will take a few days to automatically go to where the "top" button is now!

I don't quite understand why there is My Profile which has mail and settings and then that seems duplicated on My Contacts & Inbox. But its not a problem - just curious.

But maybe I am different to some as I like the challenge of working something out and finding my way around! Plus I invariably used to go to New Posts when I logged in and now just go to Most Recent Posts.

Hope everyone gets to grips with it OK - am sure you will :)

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
2 Questions ........ please ...... ?

Hello Kathrine , I like :) the Photo 's on the Forum Index Page or what ever its called & after having a good look round the new T P like what I see :) However do have 2 questions please :

** After reading the Forum Home Page I see the Help with Video / T P forum has gone & for some body like me who is not very techy ( like posting photo's etc ) Where can I post a techy question please ?

** Before the downtime I started a Thread & Link from Age Uk it was how too keep cool in the Heat Wave , lots of hints & tips . Am thinking could that be moved to the new Health & Well being forum please ? ( as the subject is health & well being ) Thank you so much ( the Thread was called safety tips in the Heat wave put it in the old forum ) Hope that is ok & why asked it would be good to let other T P 'ers read it who might have missed it before

Best Wishes & thanks for all your hard work you do & the team !

Grove x

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
I think (but don't quote me) is that this new sub-forum in the Tea Room is for anything that isn't strictly speaking Tea Room material (as in "This forum is a place to relax, unwind and share your jokes, pictures and stories that may not relate to dementia. Posts in this area are only visible to members of Talking Point.") but where someone would, for whatever, put a thread which they only want members to be able to read (and also won't come up on something like a google search). So my feeling is that if a thread was originally placed in the Tea Room for privacy, it would tend to go in this new sub-forum.

Thanks Jennifer, that is a good summary of one of the reasons why we have that forum, a space for members to share topics that are difficult or that they wouldn't feel comfortable discussing elsewhere.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
New Format

Seems to me the changes are of great use to whoever does admin and moderates on this site....nice and clear for them and neatly packaged in all those new headings....If most traffic was generated by the "support for people with dementia and their carers" section surely this is because thats where most people needed help. Has to be some kind of "constant" with people who need this site not for people who run it or moderate.

Its like throwing 6,000 marbles at the screen and telling people to get used to it.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hello Kathrine , I like :) the Photo 's on the Forum Index Page or what ever its called & after having a good look round the new T P like what I see :) However do have 2 questions please :

** After reading the Forum Home Page I see the Help with Video / T P forum has gone & for some body like me who is not very techy ( like posting photo's etc ) Where can I post a techy question please ?

** Before the downtime I started a Thread & Link from Age Uk it was how too keep cool in the Heat Wave , lots of hints & tips . Am thinking could that be moved to the new Health & Well being forum please ? ( as the subject is health & well being ) Thank you so much ( the Thread was called safety tips in the Heat wave put it in the old forum ) Hope that is ok & why asked it would be good to let other T P 'ers read it who might have missed it before

Best Wishes & thanks for all your hard work you do & the team !

Grove x

Hello grove :)

I'm working with Katherine respond to members about the forum changes so hopefully I can help.

The 'Help and Computer Tips' forum is still there, it just has a different name - 'Welcome and how to use Talking Point'. We have moved it up to the top on the Forum Home page. When we ran our testing project, some volunteers weren't sure how to use Talking Point so hopefully this will be helpful for newer members.

Thanks for starting a helpful discussion about how to keep cool in this hot weather :) I think it'd be a helpful discussion in the Health and Wellbeing forum so I've moved the discussion. You can find it >here<.

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Regarding the new layout:

As I've traveled the journey through Alzheimers with Dad from start to finish, many of the new forums could have posts that may catch my eye. Before the change I could find any subject of interest that I might be able to help with or comment on at a glance, mostly in the main support forum.

I don't do the 'Most Recent Posts' option because it covers too many things that I don't necessarily want to get involved in.

Now everything is scattered or given a slot, I have to navigate by clicking each one to read all the new sub-forums so I can get an overall view and to be honest, I'm bored with it already after just one day, it could be that I'm just lazy and spoiled with the ease of the old format.

Just my thoughts, but I don't like the new format, it's far far too messy and complicated.. God knows how people with dementia are coping with it. :(

But that's just me ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti