Please read: Talking Point updates

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
Well I feel highly honoured that i'm the star of the show with my posts
I do hope other people laugh at them at much as i have just done!
I sound as though I am permanently grumpy!!;)

My grumpometer reading is low today despite a mountain of ironing as I am being presented with a laptop by a local charity to help me do more for the Alz Society now that I have started giving talks about TP and to enable us to start a memory book project and so I can keep my website up to date for fundraising

www.creativesarah.weebly.com

I now have it in mind to write a proper e-book on making memory books for people with dementia:):):)

watch this :)space

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well I feel highly honoured that i'm the star of the show with my posts
I do hope other people laugh at them at much as i have just done!
I sound as though I am permanently grumpy!!;)

My grumpometer reading is low today despite a mountain of ironing as I am being presented with a laptop by a local charity to help me do more for the Alz Society now that I have started giving talks about TP and to enable us to start a memory book project and so I can keep my website up to date for fundraising

www.creativesarah.weebly.com

I now have it in mind to write a proper e-book on making memory books for people with dementia:):):)

watch this :)space

That's excellent news re the laptop!

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Lin,

As Izzy said, there is now a new drop-down menu which contains links to lots of Alzheimer's Society resources, factsheets included. This also appears on every page of Talking Point. Factsheets are included in the 'Alzheimer's Society website' section at the top.

This post might help:
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...Monday-22-July&p=786553&viewfull=1#post786553

Thanks Katherine
But their is no actual link to the factsheet in that dropdown menu
you have to click on the Alzheimer's website in that drop down menue to find a link to the factsheets, IMO this doesnt seem user friendly to me esp for new members or those of us who are distraught

Could the link be put back wher it was thanks

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thanks Izzy

Sarah, thaty is great news, about the Laptop not the ironing though, I have gor a pile myself :(

limafoxtrot

Aug 7, 2011
Uk Expat
Thanks Katherine
But their is no actual link to the factsheet in that dropdown menu

If you click on "Alzheimer's Society Resourses" then Alzheimer's Society Website" that takes you to the factsheets. (See attached)

Lima x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 719

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Am I imagining it or did we use to be able to look at our own Profiles and see started threads? I know you can see them on others Profiles (just checked) but not on your own. But it could well be my imagination! :rolleyes:

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Thanks Kassy - obviously two sorts of "Profile" then. ( I had gone to the My Profile at the top of the page and got the mail part)

Oh well, change and challenge is good for us so they say! :)

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi Lin,

Thanks for your feedback.

You're right that our regular members will be used to seeing a link to the factsheets page on the website, but because it contains more than 70 factsheets, it's actually not the easiest of pages to navigate. Our Web team have put lots of the factsheets into other, themed pages that we've linked to in the 'Alzheimer's Society website' section for this reason, i.e.:

Symptoms and diagnosis
Living with dementia
Caring for a person with dementia

Having information grouped into themed areas was one of the key recommendations from our user testing project too, and that's behind a lot of the changes we've made.

As for the 'Reply with quote' button: this was something that caused confusion to the volunteers that participated in our user-testing project. Some things that are obvious to our established members won't always feel that way to people looking at Talking Point for the first time.

As I said in another thread, following updates like this there will inevitably be some things we need to tweak and others that work from the get-go. It's important that we allow time for things to settle down before we make further changes. Please do take your time to explore, and continue to feed back any comments and ask questions. :)

Thanks,

limafoxtrot

Aug 7, 2011
Uk Expat
I don't mind the changes, however, what about people who've been coming in here with memory problems? They might have difficulty with the changes. Just a thought.

Lima

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I don't mind the changes, however, what about people who've been coming in here with memory problems? They might have difficulty with the changes. Just a thought.

Lima

Excellent point given what the site is all about.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Is it now possible to transfer a thread which was not light hearted but was in the Tea room to keep it private, to the new private 'Dealing with Difficult feelings' forum?

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London

Lima

That is a very valid point Lima, and is one of the reasons why a lot of care and planning goes into making changes like these. It's also why we don't change things on the forum very often: the last lot of major changes were made over two years ago now.

When making decisions about changing things, we have to consider not only our current members (both with dementia and carers), but also those people who will view or join the forum in future. Taking different users' needs into consideration is a balancing act, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Also, Talking Point has grown a lot since we last updated it, and what worked well for a smaller membership (for example, having one general 'Support for people with dementia and their carers' forum) wasn't very workable for what is now a much busier and ever-growing TP.

Saffie - yes: if you have a thread in the tea room that you'd like to be moved to the new 'Difficult topics' forum, please PM myself, Serena or one of the moderators, and we'll sort that for you asap. :)

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Thank you for this thread.

I don't know if it is helpful for you to know this - but I have only just found it and have been scrabbling around on the forum on and off all day.

I would have found it quicker if it had been lead thread in all the different areas/sub-forums.

It may be I am unusually slow and obtuse.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
:eek:What...where ....when....WHY???????:eek:
First question....why have you removed the general forum and put so many sub-forums in it's place? I know that you think it helps to split things up into their categories, however many of my posts are seeking advice regarding my Mother and her various problems, so do I put them in
a) I care for someone
b)They are mid stage
c) difficult feelings
when really it might be something which affects all areas.:confused::confused::confused: Likewise I now have many places to go to to browse where before I usually only needed two sections and quickly found where the rest were if needed.
Second question: why did you have to swap the sides for the navigation and the reply/post tabs. I've hit reply umpteen times when I wanted to navigate.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I appreciate the need for progress but so far I cannot say that this is a helpful change....but I'll keep trying to find something positive in it, somewhere.

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Thank you for this thread.

I don't know if it is helpful for you to know this - but I have only just found it and have been scrabbling around on the forum on and off all day.

I would have found it quicker if it had been lead thread in all the different areas/sub-forums.

It may be I am unusually slow and obtuse.

Hi Butter,

Sorry that you've only just found this thread. There is an announcement about the changes at the top of all Talking Point's sub-forums, but I can appreciate that it could be easily missed when things look different.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet