Please may I have my blog back ...?

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Have spent about two hours this evening (which included a lot of interruptions, of course) typing up a load of dates and facts into what I thought would be a blog I could refer back to. When I went to "post" it, I was told I wasn't logged on and was not allowed access. Tried several different buttons before logging on (although I was already logged on at top right of the page) in case I had to do it again for some reason, it being my first attempt at blogging, and I appear to have lost everything I had put in. (Even printed off the first para. in case I should lose it, but found when I scrolled down for the next para. to print, I got just the first opening para. again.) Have I really lost it all? I am not very "computer literate" in that I only know how to do the things that I want when doing genealogy, i.e. do not understand files and folders, etc. nor some of the terms used, let alone strings of capital letters. Please tell me that you have my first quite lengthy blog somewhere in the works ....?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I wish I could but I suspect that unless it's somewhere on your system somewhere, or you can get to it using your back button, I have a horrible feeling it's gone.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have lost so many posts just by accidentally pressing the back button in error. It`s so frustrating.
I`m really sorry Nan. :(

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
It is a good idea, when posting anything lengthy, to write it first in a word processor, or NotePad - then to copy and paste it into the editor.

That way you can get back to what was already written, if something like this happens.

Sorry, but I'm certain you have lost what you wrote.:(

It is always worth trying the 'Back' button - I have often managed to retrieve something written in the editor that had seemed to be lost. If you do locate it this way, when you have found the text, copy it, then open a new editor window, paste it and it should be usable.

Last edited:

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Lost blog

Dear Sylvia, Jennifer and Bruce,

Thank you for your replies re my lost blog. I have to-day re-typed it all into a Google blog under Dorset Biddy as suggested by my son, as this "saves" as it goes along. Sadly I do not know how to "copy and paste it into the editor". I do not even know what the editor window is - is it the little 3" by 3" window I typed into last evening? I have a lot to learn, copying and pasting top of the list. If I get the hang of it (but fear I may not bother now that the Google blog is up and running), I will make a fresh attempt on the Alzheimer's Society's website.

Thank you again. Nan.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Nan

When I got my computer in 2005 I was frightened to touch it in case I broke it.
Don`t worry you`ll soon learn.
I`m really sorry you won`t be blogging on TP. :( But I do understand how frustrating it is when you lose your work.
One day maybe.........:)

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Nan..

You're not alone...:)

"Computer speak" is something I'm learning as I go along..as and when the opportunity presents itself.
"Computer do" is the same..for me it's trial and error..again as and when there is time.

So I stick to what I'm familiar with..and when there's an opportunity I practise...:eek:

Please don't let your lost blog stop you from posting on TP...

We're all learning.

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I do not even know what the editor window is - is it the little 3" by 3" window I typed into last evening? I have a lot to learn, copying and pasting top of the list.

I don't know what that is also editor window .

I do what Bruce does .

It is a good idea, when posting anything lengthy, to write it first in a word processor, or NotePad - then to copy and paste it into the editor.

I do it in Microsoft word document. Then I hight light it all, press cut, Then paste it into the reply box, if I am doing a long post.

I have a lot to learn, copying and pasting top of the list.

This is a good site to learn how to Cope , cut , past . As it give you a little box to practise in, till you get it right.

You only cut it, if you do not want to save it into Microsoft word document. Other wise don't use the cut.

Just do cope , paste .

http://www.webmasternow.com/copyandpaste.html

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Hello Sylvia, Gigi and Margarita

Had a quick lesson yesterday morning in copying and posting elsewhere and as a result have managed to transfer my re-written blog over to my blog-spot on the AS website. Will have another go at it in a minute to reassure myself that it wasn't a one-off and I can in fact do it on my own.
Thanks your the encouragement and understanding. Did not really want to be "outside the community" with a blog elsewhere. May continue perhaps to type it up "outside" but then post it to my AS blog as I go. Have been shown a fairly simple way to do it - it remains to be seen whether I have remembered how .... Nan

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Ah, but sadly have not remembered how ..! Have added to my blog but am clearly in need of a further lesson. [Hugh sigh] Seem to remember I have a textbook somewhere (but found even that hard to follow.) But this is just a "teething problem" (- very apt, as have been to the dentist this morning.) No. 3 son will have to provide assistance again ...

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Nan

Don`t worry. It`s early days yet Nan, you`ve been a member such a short time, you`ll soon get the hang of it.

Especially as with the help of a Number 3 son to put you right. :D