Please look - can't think of a subject.

Shakey1961a

Nov 7, 2004
Southport
Hi all. Hope everything is as good as it can be.

This is just a general question.

I'm a bit confused with Mum. According to all the "text books" the person who is in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's (as mum is said to be in) has a lot of difficulty communicating and in recognising and knowing people and faces.

I know the person can have lucid moments, but what I find difficult to understand is Mum seems to know and recognise me almost everytime I visit.

Even yesterday, when I walked into her room you could almost see her eyes light up when I walked in and she put her arm around my head and gave me a kiss. Then as she chunnered away she looked at me and said (with a smile) "Give you a laugh", and once again mumbled then had a chuckle to herself.

Would it sound strange if said it was almost as if she is behind a net curtain? She can see out, I can see in, but because she can't move the "nets" she just can't get her point across.

It's just I though when people are in the advanced stages that most of their comprehension of the world had gone.

Thankfully Mum isn't like that.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Steve

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Steve, nice to hear from you, and that mum is settled. Can't comment on who does what at various stages, as I know with Lionel, nothing is as the textbooks suggest.
Make the most of these moments whilst you can. Your mum is happy to see you, and appears to be able to show it in some way. How wonderful.
Maybe someone else will have a comment or two. Take care now, Connie

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Steve

My Mum is in the later stages too and although mobile, her speech is very muddled and she can't always understand simple instructions e.g. if you say "pass me your cup" Mum often shakes hands instead and "sit down there" goes completely over her head, so we show her what we want her to do.

Mum almost always seems pleased to see her visitors, but gets us mixed up or takes us for others who she has not seen in years, but we get a smile and kiss, so it really doesn't matter.

I think your net curtain image is a good one and I do understand exactly what you mean.

Mum's understanding of the real world has gone, but her own reality seems a happy one, so I am happy to join her there from time to time.

Kathleen

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hi Steve,

Great to hear from you again.

I'd chuck out the textbooks. Everyone is different and AD seems to affect people in many different ways as well as the 'standard issue' symptoms.

It's wonderful that your Mum can still recognise you. Treasure these moments! Just live AD 'day to day'.

Jude

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976