Please help

Softy

Jan 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
I have just got home from a very distressing visit with my poor dad.He is in a secured emi unit was placed there under section and is fully funded under continous care which is supposed to provide one on one supervision. The home and my dads care have been deteriorating slowly over the last few months, he has lost tons of weight and has almost lost the ability to communicate with us. I have of course been complaining on a fairly regular basis both in person and in writing to the management but nothing seems to get put right. The main areas of concern are that dad is not assisted with eating food is put infront of him and taken away untouched unless I am there to feed him. Today he was wet and soiled when I arrived in his room which is behing a locked door, he was cold and dreadfully agitated. The staff came and changed him then carried on serving the supper after waiting 10 mins I went to see where my dads food was, they had cleared away had forgotten him what would have happened if I had not visited today. I go as often as I can there is only Mum & I and she is afraid to go to the home alone. I feel terrible I love my dad so much I want to make it right for him I want him safe and taken care of he deserves it. I need some advise please the home are obviously not going to improve Mum is worried that if we complain too much they will treat dad even worse, I must do something he would not allow anyone to treat me badly I must do the same for him. As he is funded by Social Services should I complain to them or to the inspectorate of homes.Any advice appreciated

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Softy - welcome to Talking Point

I would complain to any and everyone you can think of: in writing and sent recorded delivery if you can manage it. Don't forget your local PCT - if your father is fully funded a fair proportion of the funds will be coming from the NHS, not just social services.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I would complain to any and everyone you can think of:

Absolutely! What about adding your MP to the list?

This is nothing short of neglect. I am boiling with anger for you and your Dad. :mad:

Welcome to TP, I know you'll find lots of support here, sadly from people who have experienced similar situations.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
First of all, write down your problems with the home. This will clear your mind. Then phone and make an urgent appointment to see the manager to both give your list and complain in person. Insist that these things must be put right immediately. Tell them you are going to get the GP in to examine him, that should put the wind up them somewhat! Also demand that he is weighed weekly and a record of his weekly weight is kept. Ask that a thorough investigation of your complaints is made and that a response is made back to you both in person and by letter.

It sounds to me as if your father is in a room which is constantly being overlooked. Why has he not been got out of bed and taken to day rooms which are constantly supervised? Why has he not been taken to a dining room to eat his food, where (hopefully) there would be enough staff to check if he is eating? If he is too ill to be moved, then he should be in a room which is close enough to nurses/carers workstations for him to have considerably more attention than he has so far received!

If you are not satified that every point has been covered and is now satisfactory, write to CSCI (Commission for Social Care). These are the people who inspect care homes and if you complain, detailing your complaints, these areas will be carefully checked on their next inspection!. Here is the e mail address:- csci.gsi.gov.uk

How much longer do we have to learn about such mal treatment! It is now years since Age Concern raised the very same issue about elderly patients in hospital who could not eat their food and who were slowly being starved to death!!

My heart goes out to you in this dreadful case of neglect. xx TinaT

Softy

Jan 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
First of all thanks for the replies I feel better being able to talk to people who understand my Dad is not in bed he was agressive when he was placed in the home but this has not been the case for a couple of months the home tell me that he prefers to be in his room I have asked repeatedly that he be brought into the lounge areas and encoraged to eat. When I am there he eats everything if he stops or cant be bothered I feed him. There is one resident in the home who does not have dementia he says that there are 9 bedrooms with no light working and that the hourly checks of residents have not been done for over a week. They had an inspection 3 weeks ago following a complaint!!! The home had new carpets fitted 2 days before the inspection and all the residents were dressed up for an outing! They must have known they the inspectors were coming how could that be. I visited Dad that lunchtime and they practically ran me out of the place.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
PCT = Primary Care Trust - what your local NHS governing body is now called.

I'm really horrified and echo what everyone says. Really - when care gets this bad you have to complain to everyone because how much worse could it get? Also, we have had reports from members that while complaining is something that we approach with trepidation, homes are very wary about receiving complaints so while we can't guarantee they won't back-fire, on the whole they don't.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
If they were inspected 3 weeks ago and you send them another complaint - then they MUST start to hear warning bells, surely! Also in your complaint list about the home 'tarting' things up just for their visit. I'm sure that the CSCI can make an unannounced 'spot' check at any time, especially when they get one complaint so quickly following the other xx TinaT

Softy

Jan 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
You are all right I should not be put off by worries about dads future care when he has no care at all. I will start again with my complaining every problem that I have brought to their attention has been backup us by a letter and I have all the copies. Its so wrong for anyone to be treated like this, many of the other residents have no family or no visitors they follow me around hold my hand and try to talk I break my heart evrytime I leave the place. Thankyou all very much you have confirmed what I was feeling and I know you are right sometimes though it feels like too big a problem to cope with on my own, my poor little mum is going through her own agony about being parted from dad and I just cannot talk to her I tend to cover up for the home so save her any more distress

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Softly, I join with the others in their anger. This sort of neglect just shouldn't happen, and you should complain to everyone you can think of.

My husband also is in an EMI unit, though not under section. I go in twice a day to feed him, but that's my choice. All the other residents who need feeding are fed. It's absolutely disgraceful that your dad should be left without food.

I complained to the head of unit about neglect over the New Year period when a lot of staff were off. My complaints were noted, and everything was put right that afternoon. The staff concerned apologised. Since then, not only have I no complaints, but the staff go out of their way to inform me about everything, and make sure everything is as I want it. And there is no resentment, the carers were angry too that things were not being done properly.

That's no consolation to you, I know, but that's how it should happen.

Regarding the inspection, there are two kinds, announced and unannounced. It sounds as if yours was announced, so they had time to prepare, though I would have thought it would have been unannounced if there had been a complaint.

I'd definitely go ahead and complain.

Softy

Jan 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Maybe I should quit being softy eh and stand up for him. I was the one who complained to the inspectors they told me the date of the visit and asked me not to let on to the home I was really pleased then gutted when they laid the carpet, someone had to have told them. I turned up to see the inspectors at the home but my dad was ill that day so I spent my time with him they had left by the time I left dads room. I had given them enough information to go on but they didnt see half of it.

Softy

Jan 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Your right I am usually a pretty tough cookie but where my mum and dad are concerned I am held back by worry and guilt and more worry but enough is enough I will keep you posted thanks for reading and your advice everyone xxxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sorry Softy, just realised I've been misreading your name.:eek:

No I don't think you're a tough cookie, any more than I am, but we can't see our loved ones hurt, can we?

Please let us know how you get on.

Love,

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Dear Softy.

Please go for it as hard as you can - know it is easy said.......

But thoughts are with you,

Please accept my love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Softy.

I have just read your post and am horrified by the neglect of your father. I can only echo the advice everyone else has given.

However soft you are you are not doing this for yourself you are doing it for your father, who is unable to fight for his rights. Stand tall and be firm, his treatment is a disgrace.

Whatever concerns you you make note of, should be sent to as many interested parties as you can think of, including your MP and Ivan Lewis, who is supposed to be carrying out a consultation of care for the elderly.

Good luck. If you can, please post an update.

Love xx

rhallacroz

Sep 24, 2007
merseyside
Very Angry

Hi There
I would suggest that you get in touch with your local MP it is amazing the amount of clout there office has I know from experience everyone jumps when a House of Commons letter arrives on their door step. Lets hope they have a good dept at your local MPs office.
THen I would get in touch with PALS every PCT and trust has to answer to a complaint that comes through PALS it stands for Patient Advisory Liason Service it used to be similar to the Community Health Councils which use to take up peoples complaint.
I would also see if you can talk to a solicitor I know the first half hour is free. I know allthis sounds heavy handed but in my experience you can not pussy foot about with this type of experience. I would copy all your correspondence and lay it firmly at the door of your PCT. The commisioner for Continuing Health needs to be aware(in your Area) of the situation.
I also would contact the Panorama Team throught the BBC Website and tell them your story they are very good at taking up situations like this. At least they will offer further advice
Dont delay and think things will get better you must must do something complacency will not help your dad. I do so so hope your fired up for this It sounds awful. Iknow this condition brings out the fighting spirit in the loved ones and I pray that you have the strength to succeed.For your Mum and Dad and for all those future familys that will find themselves in your shoes.
Let usknow how you get on
ANgela

Softy

Jan 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Update for now I am writing out a list of concerns together with a copy of letters and my diary which has all the incidents noted and am having a meeting with the owner/manager of the home on Monday. My Mum is very against me causing trouble as she sees it as she is terrified that they will take it our on Dad so I am not going to tell her be that right or wrong, what she doesnt know she wont worry about. Will post again on Monday after my meeting.