please help

blondeowl

Apr 2, 2015
sheffield
My dad died just over 14 months ago suddenly from a heart attack. Since my dad has passed I have noticed that my mum has been forgetting things, repeating herself with the same questions. I feel so very alone as she wont get help. She wont let a doctor see her. Im basically at a loss as to where to go or what to do. I am currently seeing a bereavement counsellor because of my dad passing and now I feel I losing my mum slowly. Can someone please give me some advice as to what to do.
Thank you. ..claire

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Give her some positive reasons to go to the GP eg there are drugs now which can slow down the memory loss so that is a starting point. She won't know if they are right for her unless she gets a check up and that might show a vitamin deficiency or some other reason for her memory loss.

Never be frightened of the truth. It is inescapable but occasionally we can improve outcomes by tackling it. Good luck.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hello blondeowl and a warm welcome to the forum, although I'm very sorry to hear of your concerns over your mum.

It will be difficult if your mum refuses help, but I've remembered one thing that has been suggested before in these circumstances, and that is for you to visit your mum's doctor yourself, and discuss all your concerns with them. Even write down the things that are bothering you, or a sort of journal of incidences.

Ask the GP if they would be willing to call in your mum for a general 'MOT', with the idea that they can see for themselves just how she is, and with the background info that you've given them they will be able to ask the right questions to give them an idea of what's happening.

It could be explained to your mum that all patients over a certain age are being called in, or all those who smoke, or all those who haven't seen their doctor for x number of years, or whatever is applicable to your mum.

Do you think that this approach might work? If so, it would at least be a start.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with more ideas for you to consider.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson