Please help me to feel a bit more confident about our future

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
My husband has Alzheimer's as some as you may well know. I get very worried about our future. To help my confidence I wondered if any of you could tell me what would happen if my husband became unemployed at the age of nearly 61. I know we have been lucky so far but hasn't been at all easy. I know there is the disability benefit but it would be helpful to know what other help there could be.

I don't want to give the wrong picture, we have always been good workers and would rather cope ourselves but due to my husband's health concern wonder how we would cope if he had to pack up work early. I get very anxious. We have a little savings but are having to update our house at the moment so that money will be eaten up on doing that, so more time before my husband is unemployed would be good for us both.

Thank you for any suggestions. Reds

Francine

Aug 28, 2012
Hello Reds

I can understand you feeling worried about the future especially thinking of the prospect of your husband having to finish work at such a young age.

Have you considered contacting Carers Uk as they have a website giving lots of information for carers regarding benefits and all sorts of other useful information. They also have a helpline phone number which is manned certain days of the week.

I have contacted them a few times with various questions and I have always found them to be really helpful. They would also be able to give you information as to whether there is a local carers group in your area where you would be able to get any further information.

Hope this may be of some help.

Francine

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
You could go to the job centre too and ask them to do a benefits check for you, they have particular software that they just punch it all in. I'd assume that by the time your husband has to stop work he'd qualify for DLA or AA. If you get it checked out it may be less worrying for you.