Please don't throw me away, breaking my promise

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hi again @kindred
Yes I remember 'The Big Ship Sailed' although unlike @SandraKD 's version, we sang 'On the Last Day of September'.
The next verse was: 'The Captain said: It will never never do'
The last one was; 'The Big Ship sank to the Bottom of the Sea'
We didn't skip to that one, we did a thing with a line of us who all paraded under an arch made by the first two in the line. Our playground games were so simple and unsophisticated ....
With line skipping, do you remember:
'I like coffee, I like tea, I like Geraldine in with me'? And did you do 'Double Dutch' skipping with 2 ropes or the other playground favourite 'French skipping' with a lump of elastic stretched around two peoples' feet?
The weirdest playground game of mine dates from my first year at school in the early 60's. We had a tennis ball knotted into the foot of a stocking, and stood with our backs against a wall and did certain maneouvres with said ball, bashing it from side to side, through our legs etc against the wall, whilst saying:
'Got a cigarette sir?
No sir? Why sir?
Cos I got a cold, sir
Where d'you get the cold, sir?
At the North Pole, Sir
What you doing there, Sir?
Catching Polar Bears, Sir
How many did you catch, Sir?
Then at that point you bashed the ball frantically from side to side while counting!?!

Gosh that seems such a long while ago .............. but then it is!! Feel like a burst of 'Those were the days my friend'.

Memories of childhood games in the playground....

Hand claps with a partner singing a rhyme

and for the life of me can’t remember the rhyme ☺️

Dau friends child did one with me a few years ago... something like down down the lady goes.... and my mother told me if I kissed a soldier ... again can’t remember rest of words

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Hi again @kindred
Yes I remember 'The Big Ship Sailed' although unlike @SandraKD 's version, we sang 'On the Last Day of September'.
The next verse was: 'The Captain said: It will never never do'
The last one was; 'The Big Ship sank to the Bottom of the Sea'
We didn't skip to that one, we did a thing with a line of us who all paraded under an arch made by the first two in the line. Our playground games were so simple and unsophisticated ....
With line skipping, do you remember:
'I like coffee, I like tea, I like Geraldine in with me'? And did you do 'Double Dutch' skipping with 2 ropes or the other playground favourite 'French skipping' with a lump of elastic stretched around two peoples' feet?
The weirdest playground game of mine dates from my first year at school in the early 60's. We had a tennis ball knotted into the foot of a stocking, and stood with our backs against a wall and did certain maneouvres with said ball, bashing it from side to side, through our legs etc against the wall, whilst saying:
'Got a cigarette sir?
No sir? Why sir?
Cos I got a cold, sir
Where d'you get the cold, sir?
At the North Pole, Sir
What you doing there, Sir?
Catching Polar Bears, Sir
How many did you catch, Sir?
Then at that point you bashed the ball frantically from side to side while counting!?!

Gosh that seems such a long while ago .............. but then it is!! Feel like a burst of 'Those were the days my friend'.

Talking of times gone by, I have just been asked by my daughter to make her a peg bag of all things! I have managed over 40 years of marriage without one. Sorted out a good old vintage version and am about to oblige.

Glad you had a good visit with Keith. Enjoy your day and take it easy XXX

Gosh! I wonder if we are the same age or live in the same area - I did ALL of those at school! (I'm 59, from Manchester/Cheshire)

Elastics was my favourite - I was really good at that. Less so at normal skipping with a girl holding the rope at each end. I could never get the timing right for running in. Another song we did for skipping was:

Mother's in the kitchen
Doing a bit of stitching
In comes a burglar and pushes her OUT!

... at which point the next girl would run in and push the first one out.

Simpler times indeed!

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I am so excited about your songs and stories. Am going to try the songs out when I next go to Keith's! Thank you with all heart. This is marvellous.
Went for short visit today. When I left I kissed blue eyed and told him I would love him forever and he said
So nice to see you.
Oh blue eyed, I think I'll move in and live with you there.

All my love guys, more anon, so love your replies. Gxx

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
A couple of years older than you @Jaded'n'faded and I was an Essex girl ... but interesting that we did the same things.
And yes, we did 'Mother's in the Kitchen ...'

Your post made me think of another one that we skipped to with appropriate actions:
'Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear touch the ground
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear turn right round
Teddy Bear Teddy Bear climb up stairs
Teddy Bear Teddy Bear say your prayers
Teddy Bear Teddy Bear switch off the light
Teddy Bear Teddy Bear say goodnight
G-O-O-D-N-I-G-H-T

x

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I am so excited about your songs and stories. Am going to try the songs out when I next go to Keith's! Thank you with all heart. This is marvellous.
Went for short visit today. When I left I kissed blue eyed and told him I would love him forever and he said
So nice to see you.
Oh blue eyed, I think I'll move in and live with you there.

All my love guys, more anon, so love your replies. Gxx

No, no NOOOOO! Sorry @kindred - your post gave me an immediate mental image of you skipping with a carer at each end of the rope! Probably not what your physio would recommend... :D

And I imagined two ambulance drivers looking in despair at the heap of tangled bodies:
'OK, I'll take the 2 broken hips and the head injury - you take the knees, wrists and elbows.'
'Right - do we call the police to arrest the perpetrator or just get her sectioned...?'
:D:eek:;)

Garden2019

Apr 29, 2019
My mother used the same expression - 'please don't throw me away' - with me last week. We have placed her in respite care for a few weeks and now need to determine what to do long term. It is heartening to hear that your partner has been benefiting from the help. All the best

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
My mother used the same expression - 'please don't throw me away' - with me last week. We have placed her in respite care for a few weeks and now need to determine what to do long term. It is heartening to hear that your partner has been benefiting from the help. All the best
Oh this is heartbreaking, isn't it. All love, Keith certainly has flourished in his home. So good to hear from you. with love, Geraldinexxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
So many thanks for your lovely stories and songs. I copied them into my songbook and went off today ... to be met with the news that Keith has just had another seizure. So all plans scrapped and I spent my time sitting with him, holding his hand. He is settled now. I said I did not want him taken to hospital but the doctor has been called. He has such loving, skilled help.
I kept telling him, blue eyes, you have made such a fantastic job of living. He really has. No more words at the moment. He's strong, he bounced back (as it were) last time.
with all my love, Geraldinexx

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Dear Geraldine - Thinking of you and your blue eyed boy after such a nasty turn. You are a star for your stoicism in the face of this latest episode and hope for a good recovery again. Hugs xx

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
So many thanks for your lovely stories and songs. I copied them into my songbook and went off today ... to be met with the news that Keith has just had another seizure. So all plans scrapped and I spent my time sitting with him, holding his hand. He is settled now. I said I did not want him taken to hospital but the doctor has been called. He has such loving, skilled help.
I kept telling him, blue eyes, you have made such a fantastic job of living. He really has. No more words at the moment. He's strong, he bounced back (as it were) last time.
with all my love, Geraldinexx
So sorry Geraldine, hope Keith is better soon, take care of yourself, love Lxx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Dearest Geraldine. My thoughts and love are with you and with Keith. I’m thinking about you both. You are such a wonderful inspiring partnership.
Take care of yourself...
With my love, B xx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Thank you all with all my heart for your wonderful, much needed messages of encouragement. I am so so grateful. And it is the strangest story I have to tell today.
I go in in the middle of a deep and intense seminar about chewing gum and its origins. So I spark up a song from Lonnie Donegan, does your chewing gum lose its flavour and lots of the residents knew it and joined in.
A little while later we had a seminar about turtles and then Keith was wheeled in.
He was laughing and joking with the carers who told me he was a very smiley boy. I had to hold back my tears because I expected the opposite, the seizure being quite a severe one. I gave him his cup of tea and cream biscuits and said to him I love you and much to my shock, he replied, I love you too. Clearly enough for the nurses to hear and they were pretty shocked at this lucidity too.
I said to him you are my lovely blue eyed boy and he replied that's very nice of you ...
In fact, he had a lucidity that has been absent for ages. spent much of the morning laughing together, goodness knows what about, but was so good. The home was having an inspection today by lay inspectors and I was able to have a long discussion with one about why this home seems to work so very well.
I am able to wear my mad shocking pink shoes there again now, they are sling backs with big beads on them. Residents love them and so do I.
Thank you all for seeing me through this frightening time. I am so so grateful. with love and best, Kindred, Geraldinexxxxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Good news, Geraldine, have you tried clicking your pink heels? :) They could be magic. X

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
That’s more like it Geraldine... you have warmed the cockles of my wilting heart.
I hope you will go to sleep tonight with a gorgeous smile on your face.
With love, B xx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Thank you so very much for all your wonderful encouraging and loving messages! So much appreciated and held in my heart.
Well, as Keith was wheeled in today, he shouts at me I KNEW YOU WERE COMING! This is new. Everyone smiles and the nurse in charge says how bouncy he has been. Anyway once in his chair and having had a cup of tea and three custard creams, he leans towards me and confides:
Homer was a cretin ...
(Keith did classics at Uni).
But this classical discussion was interrupted by one of the male residents in the other lounge shouting HELP!! Those of us who could race in were met by him saying, THERE ARE WOMEN PLAYING FOOTBALL (there was a programme of women's football on tv). Small cheer from the female residents.
Later on, the nurse sat and played the lark rising with one of the female residents who used to love birdwatching and the wondrous, calmed look on her face ... it was magical. Being a birdwatcher, I explained how skylarks drop to what we presume are their nests and then scuttle along the grass to where the nests really are. And how in spring, the nests are often in buttercups and the buttercup pollen turns the larks golden. I dramatised this as far as my hip would allow.
It was a great time.
The staff take such a delight in Keith's newfound energy ...As do I.
When I left, I said to blue eyes, you OK darling?
and he replied, can you elucidate on that ...

Thanks for being with me folks, thank you. Love and best, Geraldinexxx