Please don't throw me away, breaking my promise

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Dearest Jezzer this is so terribly hard for you and I am very, very sorry.
With my mother, I found, though on just one occasion, that I was with her when she was dozing but aware of my presence. The sun was pouring into her room. There was an extraordinary sense of peace.

It was as though our two spirits were there, communicating silently, in that shared space. Oddly, this happened when I stopped trying to communicate in spoken words.

If you are finding this stage so stressful, as of course it is, no question - then I wonder whether experimenting with just being there beside her, and using the time to find a moment of calmness for yourself, just grounding yourself and concentrating on your breathing, might be a pathway to silent communication with your dear mother? She may then, in that silence, be able to respond similarly, and share her love freely and abundantly with you.

I don’t know! But worth a try?
@carolynp Hello again. I'm not certain but believe I may have responded to your message by replying to @kindred. I can't think straight at the moment and if that's what I've done Im sorry. It seems to read that way. However, beautiful messages from you both so my deep thanks to you. Please bear with me if I'm mixing messages up. The main thing is I am so very grateful for all your support. I am dreading today.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
@carolynp Hello again. I'm not certain but believe I may have responded to your message by replying to @kindred. I can't think straight at the moment and if that's what I've done Im sorry. It seems to read that way. However, beautiful messages from you both so my deep thanks to you. Please bear with me if I'm mixing messages up. The main thing is I am so very grateful for all your support. I am dreading today.
My dear, it doesn't matter who you have responded to, we will find it on here. Not surprised you can't think straight and so understand how you feel dread about the day. At another level, I think so many of us wake up heartbroken every day. All sympathy. Thank you so much posting.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
My dear, it doesn't matter who you have responded to, we will find it on here. Not surprised you can't think straight and so understand how you feel dread about the day. At another level, I think so many of us wake up heartbroken every day. All sympathy. Thank you so much posting.
Thank you. Yes you are absolutely right about the heartbreak on waking and my heart goes out to all those whose loved ones have this wretched disease, whatever stage it is at. My aunt read your letter in the Times by the way and said it was excellent. She and my uncle return to Norwich today. This has been a sad visit for them but they did say mum gave them the most beautiful smile yesterday. I hope you have a positive visit with your beloved OH today.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018

Hello Dear One, you did in fact write back to me but even if you hadn’t it wouldn’t matter in the least as @kindred has already reassured you. I am so sorry about the noise. It makes it so hard. With Mum, who was dying of stomach cancer, having been immobilised by a stroke and hence in nursing home already, the nurses were very protective and kept the other people’s TVs down. I do think they are a menace in individual rooms, with elderly people so deaf it’s so intrusive.

What a coincidence that you had just tried the silence approach, despite unfavourable circumstances due to TV noise! And prayer never, ever hurts. It helps the person praying, always, and I also believe that it helps the person prayed for. One doesn’t even need to use words, when they won’t come!

I hope today isn’t as bad as you fear. Waking to that dread you speak of is so hard. I am thinking of you HEAPS, dear @Jezzer. Bear in mind, too, with the silence approach, that it only worked the once for me, but that time it really did. May it happen for you.

It is so very hard, in these times when death is so near, but everything is still so uncertain, not to panic and instead somehow to let oneself just feel the feelings and acknowledge that one is helpless and can’t do more.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hello Dear One, you did in fact write back to me but even if you hadn’t it wouldn’t matter in the least as @kindred has already reassured you. I am so sorry about the noise. It makes it so hard. With Mum, who was dying of stomach cancer, having been immobilised by a stroke and hence in nursing home already, the nurses were very protective and kept the other people’s TVs down. I do think they are a menace in individual rooms, with elderly people so deaf it’s so intrusive.

What a coincidence that you had just tried the silence approach, despite unfavourable circumstances due to TV noise! And prayer never, ever hurts. It helps the person praying, always, and I also believe that it helps the person prayed for. One doesn’t even need to use words, when they won’t come!

I hope today isn’t as bad as you fear. Waking to that dread you speak of is so hard. I am thinking of you HEAPS, dear @Jezzer. Bear in mind, too, with the silence approach, that it only worked the once for me, but that time it really did. May it happen for you.

It is so very hard, in these times when death is so near, but everything is still so uncertain, not to panic and instead somehow to let oneself just feel the feelings and acknowledge that one is helpless and can’t do more.

Thank you so much my lovely friend. Today I may politely mention the TV if it is so very loud. It really was terribly intrusive. My brother and I visiting today having taken my aunt and uncle to the train station. Praying certainly helps me and Im hoping it helps mum too. Ide like to think she's thinking happy thoughts or having happy memories but of course we just dont know. When I visit alone tomorrow I intend trying the silent communication again. Once again, Thank You so very much for your wonderful support x

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Thank you. Yes you are absolutely right about the heartbreak on waking and my heart goes out to all those whose loved ones have this wretched disease, whatever stage it is at. My aunt read your letter in the Times by the way and said it was excellent. She and my uncle return to Norwich today. This has been a sad visit for them but they did say mum gave them the most beautiful smile yesterday. I hope you have a positive visit with your beloved OH today.
thank you so so much. Oh to hear about your mum's beautiful smile ... Thank you for all your loving support, too.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Astonishing happenings! Nurses rushed to tell me as soon as I arrived. Apparently, after I left yesterday there was a yoga session (all sit in chairs and wave arms around type of thing) and one of the nurses suddenly noticed that OH chair was empty (it is positioned at an angle because of his long legs and not always possible to see from all positions in room). The cry went up WHERE IS KEITH?? Then they saw him, he was out of his chair and walking about ... Normally OH cannot even stand up ... He was walking well, apparently ...
Oh went into hospital after the accident able to walk but came out not able (typical story), despite all efforts at his home. This is astonishing.
I feel it more and more that it must have been so lonely here, at home, with just me. Because no matter how I tried to give him social life, people drop off don't they, or are afraid of dementia and the sad thing is he could live all day on a five minute visit. He is so happy in this home and I am so grateful to them. I regard being there and helping the team as part of my voluntary service now, why help out anywhere else!
Thank you so very much for being with me. Thank you.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Well my Dear Friends, I'de like to share my feelings after today's visit but before I do, I am wondering if I should keep posting on this particular thread? It began with a poignant post from @kindred following her OH's plea "please don't throw me away" which is of course the title of this thread. Somewhere along the line, I posted a reply and since then, I have been posting about my mum who has mixed dementia and is in a nursing home. I wonder if really, I should be posting on my original thread as I feel guilty about "highjacking" this one. I would appreciate the views of those who posted on here in response to @ kindred and who may have stopped following because - due to yours truly - it has veered off course! Please be brutally honest; I have no problem whatsoever in directing people with a parent who is in the late stage of Dementia back to my original thread. We are all suffering here but I would feel mortified if my posts about mum are getting in the way of folks who have a OH who is a sufferer. Phew, I hope this makes sense! So folks, let me have it, both barrels blazing! Thanks so much x

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Well my Dear Friends, I'de like to share my feelings after today's visit but before I do, I am wondering if I should keep posting on this particular thread? It began with a poignant post from @kindred following her OH's plea "please don't throw me away" which is of course the title of this thread. Somewhere along the line, I posted a reply and since then, I have been posting about my mum who has mixed dementia and is in a nursing home. I wonder if really, I should be posting on my original thread as I feel guilty about "highjacking" this one. I would appreciate the views of those who posted on here in response to @ kindred and who may have stopped following because - due to yours truly - it has veered off course! Please be brutally honest; I have no problem whatsoever in directing people with a parent who is in the late stage of Dementia back to my original thread. We are all suffering here but I would feel mortified if my posts about mum are getting in the way of folks who have a OH who is a sufferer. Phew, I hope this makes sense! So folks, let me have it, both barrels blazing! Thanks so much x
well, sweetheart, I am the horses mouth, if you see what I mean. It's fine by me to have you aboard. See what the others think!

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Astonishing happenings! Nurses rushed to tell me as soon as I arrived. Apparently, after I left yesterday there was a yoga session (all sit in chairs and wave arms around type of thing) and one of the nurses suddenly noticed that OH chair was empty (it is positioned at an angle because of his long legs and not always possible to see from all positions in room). The cry went up WHERE IS KEITH?? Then they saw him, he was out of his chair and walking about ... Normally OH cannot even stand up ... He was walking well, apparently ...
Oh went into hospital after the accident able to walk but came out not able (typical story), despite all efforts at his home. This is astonishing.
I feel it more and more that it must have been so lonely here, at home, with just me. Because no matter how I tried to give him social life, people drop off don't they, or are afraid of dementia and the sad thing is he could live all day on a five minute visit. He is so happy in this home and I am so grateful to them. I regard being there and helping the team as part of my voluntary service now, why help out anywhere else!
Thank you so very much for being with me. Thank you.
Wow! Amazing! I wonder what prompted him to stand up and walk? I am sure he was perfectly happy at home with you and he's now equally happy in the home. You visit daily and never just pop in for five minutes. You are now part of the team and your involvement has to be a massive comfort to him. He may be living in a different building but when you think about it, you've pretty much moved with him! I appreciate that when you go home it must feel lonely but I honestly think what your OH has now is as good as it could be, given his illness. A lovely home, great staff, company, lots going on but most important, you remain a constant in his life. For such a devoted couple, I reckon it's wonderful. Please keep us posted about his sudden ability to walk! Sending love and hugs.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
There's always been a bit of tagging on to other threads in my time on TP, I tagged on to another thread a few years ago, as did a couple of others, the regulars on that thread have had both parents and partners as their PWD.

I read a few regular threads without commenting and I read a few and comment, but don't read all of the regular threads, not sure why. Hope that helps.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
There's always been a bit of tagging on to other threads in my time on TP, I tagged on to another thread a few years ago, as did a couple of others, the regulars on that thread have had both parents and partners as their PWD.

I read a few regular threads without commenting and I read a few and comment, but don't read all of the regular threads, not sure why. Hope that helps.
That's useful to know. Many Thanks.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Wow! Amazing! I wonder what prompted him to stand up and walk? I am sure he was perfectly happy at home with you and he's now equally happy in the home. You visit daily and never just pop in for five minutes. You are now part of the team and your involvement has to be a massive comfort to him. He may be living in a different building but when you think about it, you've pretty much moved with him! I appreciate that when you go home it must feel lonely but I honestly think what your OH has now is as good as it could be, given his illness. A lovely home, great staff, company, lots going on but most important, you remain a constant in his life. For such a devoted couple, I reckon it's wonderful. Please keep us posted about his sudden ability to walk! Sending love and hugs.
Oh thank you that is so beautiful and so encouraging. Yes, the staff say I am indeed part of the team and I know it helps the other residents that I am in every day, I am a constant. Yes, this sudden ability to walk! A year ago, he was able to walk longish distances and something quite significant happened. We were walking in a local wildflower meadow in August and his feet got really hot and red and he all but buckled over. People came to help us because I could not keep him upright and they helped me get him home. And after that, feet and legs normal, but he had lost his confidence about walking. A trip along to the churchyard along the road was all he would dare. Then not even that. So his last real walk was in a wildflower meadow. And seeing as he is an award winning wildflower photographer, that seems nice.
I so love what you said, that helps me so very much. Thank you. Thank you. So appreciate this.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018

That is very interesting, thank you. I wonder how much we react to titles that appeal to us.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Ah, no wonder he lost his confidence in walking - very, very frightening. Could it be
his confidence has returned? That would be marvellous! I bet his photographs are amazing. Is there a webpage where they they can be viewed?

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Ah, no wonder he lost his confidence in walking - very, very frightening. Could it be
his confidence has returned? That would be marvellous! I bet his photographs are amazing. Is there a webpage where they they can be viewed?
OH thank you, no webpage, this was long before that kind of thing. Keith seemed to be able to capture the mood and the soul of the wildflowers he photographed, as though they were speaking to him. IT could well be his confidence has come back. It is as though this nursing home is nursing him back to health, and me. Thank you with all my heart, so appreciate what you say.

Blondee

May 12, 2018
How amazing @kindred that your OH has been able to start walking again. It’s moments like this that make it worthwhile.
And @Jezzer it doesn’t matter on what thread you post as long as you keep posting. Getting the help and support you need is the important thing and I’ve had that from both of you lovely people.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
How amazing @kindred that your OH has been able to start walking again. It’s moments like this that make it worthwhile.
And @Jezzer it doesn’t matter on what thread you post as long as you keep posting. Getting the help and support you need is the important thing and I’ve had that from both of you lovely people.
Oh @Blondee Thank You, that's so kind of you. Well I think I'll stay on this thread then. Mum was awake-ish during our visit but again, found it impossible to verbalize. She let me freed her some lunch which I as happy about. I sought out the Deputy Manager as I had questions and she told me:
Yes the staff are all aware of a deterioration
They are keeping a close eye on her
They have contacted doctor about her gungy eyes
The loss of verbalisation will very l

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Thank you. Will await the views of t'others.
Keep doing what you’re doing! It’s a moveable feast on TP I reckon. I post all over the place as the spirit moves me. I don’t even ask permission. I am a hijacker. So don’t listen to me but for what it’s worth them’s my sentiments.

I will just say that I think there are themes that develop which are like waves, and cross thread boundaries. I think it’s fun, and moving, and creative as well as consoling, to follow them, even surf them, as they rise and fall. The enormous energy and intense emotions generated by people living with dementia require lots of outlets on TP. We are so lucky to have this forum and each other.

So @Jezzer I agree with @kindred. She is the big boss and Writer of Times Letters after all.

Hope your day goes ok. Mine has begun with OH forgetting how to make a cup of tea. My early morning cuppa, which I’ve hung on to against overwhelming odds, now going down the gurgler. You read it here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew