Please do not flush sanitary towels down the toilet

welshcath

Apr 17, 2015
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me please. My elderly mother who has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers, keeps flusing sanitary towels and wet wipes down the toilet. As you can imagine she has blocked the toilet on numerous occasions.
I am looking for some laminated or similar signs/pictures that I can attach to the inside of the toilet seat and above the toilet area.
Is there anywhere that sells these?
I live in Blaenau Gwent, S E Wales.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me please. My elderly mother who has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers, keeps flusing sanitary towels and wet wipes down the toilet. As you can imagine she has blocked the toilet on numerous occasions.
I am looking for some laminated or similar signs/pictures that I can attach to the inside of the toilet seat and above the toilet area.
Is there anywhere that sells these?
I live in Blaenau Gwent, S E Wales.

As far as wet wipes are concerned, you can buy flushable ones.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The packaging says flushable but United Utilities, and probably other authorities, are in dispute with the manufacturers.

The products are flushable in that they will flush down the toilet but they are not biodegradable and can stay intact for years in the drains and sewers ultimately causing serious blockages.

You can't have a product with wet strength that is suitable for disposal down the toilet.

United Utilities have a video showing samples of flushable wet wipes, kitchen towel and toilet paper being put into a clear plastic bottle full of water and given a good shake. The toilet paper disintegrates immediately, the kitchen towel takes a little while and the flushable wet wipe just stays intact.

welshcath

Apr 17, 2015
They might say they are flushable, but would the water authority agree. Sanitary towels?

Yes sanitary towels and incontinence pads. She says she feels 'safer' wearing them. Although she isn't incontinent, she has had the odd accident.

welshcath

Apr 17, 2015
The packaging says flushable but United Utilities, and probably other authorities, are in dispute with the manufacturers.

The products are flushable in that they will flush down the toilet but they are not biodegradable and can stay intact for years in the drains and sewers ultimately causing serious blockages.

You can't have a product with wet strength that is suitable for disposal down the toilet.

United Utilities have a video showing samples of flushable wet wipes, kitchen towel and toilet paper being put into a clear plastic bottle full of water and given a good shake. The toilet paper disintegrates immediately, the kitchen towel takes a little while and the flushable wet wipe just stays intact.

Thank you ... I just read similar to this. I would prefer nothing but toilet tissue to go in the toilet. Even too much of that can clog a toilet.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
However, when things are flushed that should be binned, they stick together and block the sewer, causing all the foul-smelling waste to flow back and flood into homes and gardens.

Think before you flush bin…and what to bin
The best way to avoid this is to follow some simple loo rules:

Only flush the three P’s – pee, poo & toilet paper

Everything else goes in the bin (even wipes that claim to be flushable)

http://www.unitedutilities.com/know-what-to-flush.aspx

welshcath

Apr 17, 2015
[/QUOTE]You know your mum, but is she likely to read and act on such a sign?[/QUOTE]

I know what your saying ... It's just something worth trying. We don't know what else to do.
Thank you for the link ... I had already Googled these. I just wondered if you could buy them. Rather than make them. I have heard my local library do a printing and laminating service.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I suppose it's a plus that your mum does err on the side of safety/caution. It's not uncommon to read on TP about the frustration of the carer for a person who really needs to wear incontinence products and flatly refuses to.

welshcath

Apr 17, 2015
I suppose it's a plus that your mum does err on the side of safety/caution. It's not uncommon to read on TP about the frustration of the carer for a person who really needs to wear incontinence products and flatly refuses to.

That must be a nightmare :(

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
We got a sanitary towel bin for use in the loo as a container for incontinence pads. It only "worked" for a short period of time - perhaps a couple of months.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hmm, went through a stage where tissues were thrown into the loo and loo paper went in the bin! Ugh! Had to move the bin.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I have learned to shut the toilet lid when I give OH wipes to clean himself or they will invariably be thrown into the loo! I basically now have to hover next to him so I can grab them when he's finished with them.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
There is no way I am trying to make light of this topic .... but I used to find used tena lady pads in the cutlery drawer, actually I think that was easier to deal with in the long run than a blocked loo. Is there any chance you could try pull ups, maybe they would be less likely to be flushed?
My mum would unfortunately not take any notice of any written instructions. Once she was in pull ups things were loads better.

welshcath

Apr 17, 2015
There is no way I am trying to make light of this topic .... but I used to find used tena lady pads in the cutlery drawer, actually I think that was easier to deal with in the long run than a blocked loo. Is there any chance you could try pull ups, maybe they would be less likely to be flushed?
My mum would unfortunately not take any notice of any written instructions. Once she was in pull ups things were loads better.

Oh dear, used Tena pads in the cutlery drawer :(
As for pull ups, that could be an option. But knowing my mother she would try pushing those down the toilet too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson