Please can I have your thoughts on this problem...?

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I am sorry to take up your time again......

My OH is in respite care at a local care home whilst his son and I try to get social services to agree to his permanent funded placement there...
OH is meant to be in the care home for another 10 days, and I have funds to pay for another week after that if needed.

Yesterday, I heard that the landlord of our rented home has put it on the market, and that we will be given notice to quit.

The Govt website says that tenants in such a position now have to be given 6 months notice ( Covid regs) instead of the usual 2 months - so a breathing space.
I feel that we will not be able to get another private tenancy easily, as my OH no longer has capacity, and his income will be going towards funding the proposed care home place. My income is not enough to get a tenancy.

Right, so I need help in getting my thoughts into order after a fairly sleepless night.

Here is what I think I should do - but, please, dear friends, tell me if I am getting this wrong

1) Ring the agent dealing with the tenancy, to ascertain whether the landlord wants to sell this house tenanted or untenanted - and exactly when we will get notice.

2) Ring the Care Home and see if they can keep OH for another week whilst I try to get the situation into some sort of order.

3)Pursue Social Services to see where they are with their assessments for placement and funding of OH, and try to hurry them up.

a) If Social Services will NOT agree that OH needs to be in a Care Home - I then need to go to County Council to ask for emergency housing for us both.

b) If Social Services DO agree that OH can stay in the Care Home - I need to ask for emergency housing for myself only.

Of course, I do not want to move, I have brought my children up in this small village, and have friends here, and am happy here. It seems to me, that the best outcome is that I end up having to move ( and all that entails) somewhere new, alone, and have to adjust to that.

The worst outcome is that I have to move somewhere with my OH who will understand none of this, still try to be his carer, and be somewhere new, and unsupported.

I don't think I have the energy for all this.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
what a time to go through this. if renting then local authority need to rehouse you but dont move until you are evicted because you would make yourself intentionally homeless therefore not entitle to be rehome. tenants couldnt be evicted because of covid, that immunity has now gone [check]. talk to agency see how much time youve got, talk to social services about husband and talk to local authority about their rules of rehousing. if you can sort out care for your husband eg. care home then the rest will be answered.

StephW

Sep 22, 2020
I don't have any advice but just wanted to send a big hug because dementia is hard enough to deal with without all of the added stress you are experiencing. I sincerely hope you can find a path through this, and that you are able to source the support that will help you at this time. I wish you all the best xxx

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi @maryjoan ,
I am so sorry for the new situation you have to cope with.
I think you have two objectives : the first is having your OH moved into permanent care. The second is going on living in your village and possibly in the same house.
In my opinion the main objective should be having your husband in permanent care not only because his dementia has worsened, but , above all, because you no longer have the strength to cope with him at home.
Once you have to think of yourself only, it will be a bit ( only a bit) easier to make the other decisions.
Thinking of you!

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Goodness @maryjoan , no need for apologies! This is what the forum is for. What a time you are having. Your plan sounds a sensible one. I am very much hoping that the house sale turns out to be a buy to let and that you will not actually have to leave. Please let us know how you are getting on.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
Such a worrying time for you @maryjoan especially now.
Do you know if your landlord is selling it as a buy to let? I think for certain properties mortgage companies only lend on that basis. If it is then hopefully you’ll be able to stay.
If you do have to find another home then the local authority may have to fund a care home as they won’t be able to arrange home care support.
Thinking of you and sending a virtual ? x

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Sorry you have this on top of the uncertainty of your OH’s care situation. Have you looked into housing association properties for over 55s? You may be able to get a tenancy at a reasonable rent.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Absolutely awful for this to happen to you. If you are on a low income, I am sure you will be able to claim housing benefit to cover the rent. There must be a lot of people in this position at the moment, losing their tenancies. Can you speak to your local council about any help that is available?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
So difficult on top of everything else for you, but it sounds as though your thoughts are sensible and methodical.

The wife of one of the residents at the home where dad was is looking at housing association over 55s and has been accepted onto their list...as someone else has mentioned....doesn't qualify for council tenancy. Her husband, the resident, died and she heavily relied on his pension as well as hers...place was fully funded so he kept his pension...to make ends meet. May be worth an enquiry, not sure how it works but she has been sent 7 properties to consider.

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
The notice period is now six months. After that, if the landlord wants you to go he will have to take you to Court. There is a significant backlog in the Courts at the moment and solicitors are not engaging with suggestions that there be late/night sittings to take up the slack. After that, if you do not move they would have to send in the bailiffs. In my borough you would only be considered for emergency housing at that point. It could therefore easily be a year or more before you need to move. It matters not whether the landlord is selling tenanted or untenanted. At the moment he doesn't have a choice. If he wishes to sell now it will have to be tenanted and you will simply acquire a new landlord. Also, if you are given notice you should make sure it is valid. Have a look here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/house-buying-renting-selling for further info.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
The notice period is now six months. After that, if the landlord wants you to go he will have to take you to Court. There is a significant backlog in the Courts at the moment and solicitors are not engaging with suggestions that there be late/night sittings to take up the slack. After that, if you do not move they would have to send in the bailiffs. In my borough you would only be considered for emergency housing at that point. It could therefore easily be a year or more before you need to move. It matters not whether the landlord is selling tenanted or untenanted. At the moment he doesn't have a choice. If he wishes to sell now it will have to be tenanted and you will simply acquire a new landlord. Also, if you are given notice you should make sure it is valid. Have a look here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/house-buying-renting-selling for further info.
Thank you so much for that - it makes a big difference to how I feel about things - reading all your replies has allowed be to feel rather more positive! Thank you, one and all ((()))) big hugs

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
what a time to go through this. if renting then local authority need to rehouse you but dont move until you are evicted because you would make yourself intentionally homeless therefore not entitle to be rehome. tenants couldnt be evicted because of covid, that immunity has now gone [check]. talk to agency see how much time youve got, talk to social services about husband and talk to local authority about their rules of rehousing. if you can sort out care for your husband eg. care home then the rest will be answered.

Dear @maryjoan,

I am thinking about you as I will have to move as well but I suggest you follow @jennifer1967's advice as they will have to find you another place.

Hugs

MaNaAk