Please can anyone help!

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
My mum has alzheimers and was diagnosed i. 2008 altho she had it for a couple of years b4 that. We live with mum and i am her carer so respite is a godsend for us. Mum has just returned from a weeks respite and has settled back home very well. The help i seek is this.... For the past year mum has shouted all thru the night. Her room is next to my teenage sons room so we asked for a monitor in the hope that we would hear her before she disturbes our son. She is clear of utis etc but shouts all night long IN HER SLEEP!!!!. Is there anything we could try to make her stop? Lack of sleep for us is the worst thing to deal with, we are sooooo tired. Sleeping pills wont help if shes already asleep? Can anyone suggest anything please x

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
There is another thread about the beneficial effects of paracetamol so perhaps you could try a couple at bedtime. Last week our GP told me to give this to my husband before we set out for a walk even though he doesn't complain of pain in his damaged knee. The doc reckoned we might be able to walk further.

Give it a try for a couple of nights in case she has a pain but can't express it.

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
There is another thread about the beneficial effects of paracetamol so perhaps you could try a couple at bedtime. Last week our GP told me to give this to my husband before we set out for a walk even though he doesn't complain of pain in his damaged knee. The doc reckoned we might be able to walk further.

Give it a try for a couple of nights in case she has a pain but can't express it.

Ill try that thank you x

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Alternatively...

If you can't stop the shouting could you re-arrange the sleeping arrangements, have your son wear earplugs or soundproof your son's room in some way? Sometimes it's easier for the healthy members of the family to make changes than to try and change the behaviours of the person with dementia! Just a thought. I hope you find a workable solution. No sleep is no fun. :(

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Maybe worth mentioning the problem to sons school, otherwise if he nods off in class he maybe accused of being on his computer etc all night like some kids do. At least then school may make allowances for his tiredness and lack of enthusiasm in class. Hope you get it sorted somehow.

What about your son playing music in headphones whilst in bed then maybe that will block it out. Obviously not too loud to keep his hearing safe. Maybe even get a CD player or download some revision done whilst asleep!

Is Mum shouting in relation to her dream or just random stuff. Shouting in her sleep or acting her dream out eg falling out of bed as she thinks she's flying can be an indication of Lewy body dementia evidently or maybe a response to medication she's taking. Read the leaflet in her tablet box or ask pharmacist if this is side effect.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford

Agreed, I've just bunged a couple of paracetamol down the wife, it does seem to help.
K

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi chelsea girl,
a bit of a daft question but have you mentioned this to your mum's GP, consultant, CPN ie whoever oversees her care? They may have some suggestions to help her. Did the staff at the respite home mention the shouting? They may have ways to help.

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Hi chelsea girl,
a bit of a daft question but have you mentioned this to your mum's GP, consultant, CPN ie whoever oversees her care? They may have some suggestions to help her. Did the staff at the respite home mention the shouting? They may have ways to help.
The social worker suggested piriton but it doesnt seem to make much difference??

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Maybe worth mentioning the problem to sons school, otherwise if he nods off in class he maybe accused of being on his computer etc all night like some kids do. At least then school may make allowances for his tiredness and lack of enthusiasm in class. Hope you get it sorted somehow.

What about your son playing music in headphones whilst in bed then maybe that will block it out. Obviously not too loud to keep his hearing safe. Maybe even get a CD player or download some revision done whilst asleep!

Is Mum shouting in relation to her dream or just random stuff. Shouting in her sleep or acting her dream out eg falling out of bed as she thinks she's flying can be an indication of Lewy body dementia evidently or maybe a response to medication she's taking. Read the leaflet in her tablet box or ask pharmacist if this is side effect.

Gonna try ear plugs for my son thanks. Mum usually shouts " god help me" or " where is everyone" over and over again

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I used a combination of paracetamol and ear plugs lol. The paracetamol calmed it down and ear plugs (wax only worked for me) just took the edge of the remaining mumbles and we all lived happily ever after lol, but having said that she lived independently and my son and I only did night times if she was feeling low or if she was having a period of paranoia about burglars x

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
I used a combination of paracetamol and ear plugs lol. The paracetamol calmed it down and ear plugs (wax only worked for me) just took the edge of the remaining mumbles and we all lived happily ever after lol, but having said that she lived independently and my son and I only did night times if she was feeling low or if she was having a period of paranoia about burglars x

Haha think I'll have to invest in some ear plugs. I can feel some late mornings coming on as i sleep thru our alarm

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
lol i got used to waking about half an hour before the alarm when i had been using the ear plugs for a short while - i never ceased to be amazed at how wonderful we humans are! Go Girl and keep posting xxx