Plastic pants

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
And now for some good news!

The last two nights bed completely dry even though the nappy pad was soaking. This was without getting my husband up to the toilet in the middle of the night. The pjs @Izzy recommended which zip up the back have been a great success. They are expensive at £47 a set so I just bought one to try it out but if this continues I will buy another set. John is a slim fellow so a size 38” is a good loose fit and he cannot get near the pad to move it or fidget with anything else so I’m really pleased. Next week though he goes into respite for a week and I will give them ordinary pjs in case they lose these.

Thanks for all your tips. I’m a happier person for them.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire

The last two nights bed completely dry even though the nappy pad was soaking. This was without getting my husband up to the toilet in the middle of the night. The pjs @Izzy recommended which zip up the back have been a great success. They are expensive at £47 a set so I just bought one to try it out but if this continues I will buy another set. John is a slim fellow so a size 38” is a good loose fit and he cannot get near the pad to move it or fidget with anything else so I’m really pleased. Next week though he goes into respite for a week and I will give them ordinary pjs in case they lose these.

That is good news. We aren't at that stage yet. So I need to store all this information so I don't have to learn the hard way.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak

Brilliant news. It must be such a relief to find a solution to this difficult problem. Long may it continue!

Maggiejigs

Apr 22, 2018
My husband takes medication that strengthens the bladder and I know that there is a big difference in how many times he has to get up to go to the toilet during the night than before. He has been taking it for some years after problems following prostate surgery. Might help.
Hi Lawson58 - my husband diagnosed with FTD Dec 2018 and also had treatment for prostate cancer in Aug 2018 (Brachytherapy). He was fine before the op toilet wise but have had no end of problems with double incontinence since. The faecal incontinence has stopped thankfully but now he is wetting the bed - not every night, but most - and this is despite going to loo before bed and getting up twice in the night. I am seeing a urologist on Friday and would be interested to know what type of surgery your husband had and what is the name of the medication that he takes. Many thanks.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi Lawson58 - my husband diagnosed with FTD Dec 2018 and also had treatment for prostate cancer in Aug 2018 (Brachytherapy). He was fine before the op toilet wise but have had no end of problems with double incontinence since. The faecal incontinence has stopped thankfully but now he is wetting the bed - not every night, but most - and this is despite going to loo before bed and getting up twice in the night. I am seeing a urologist on Friday and would be interested to know what type of surgery your husband had and what is the name of the medication that he takes. Many thanks.
It's about five years since he had the surgery and it went by the initials TURP which I think was a laser cleanout of the prostate and that relieved the pressure on the bladder system. It took ages before he had the catheter removed but has had no problems since.

He was prescribed two medications, oxybutynin which assists in bladder control and amitriptyline, which was originally developed as an antidepressant but is now used for other things.

Probably not much help as his condition was very different to what your husband has but I hope the urologist can help you.

Maggiejigs

Apr 22, 2018
It's about five years since he had the surgery and it went by the initials TURP which I think was a laser cleanout of the prostate and that relieved the pressure on the bladder system. It took ages before he had the catheter removed but has had no problems since.

He was prescribed two medications, oxybutynin which assists in bladder control and amitriptyline, which was originally developed as an antidepressant but is now used for other things.

Probably not much help as his condition was very different to what your husband has but I hope the urologist can help you.
Thank you Lawson58 for getting back to me - may help, may not but will discuss with urologist. Thanks again.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
My husband went into a nursing home 2 years ago. Because he was doubly incontinent and would not let me help him. But before that he wet so much at night I could not believe it. I ended up with a mattress protector. Duvet protector. Pillowslip protector. Every morning I had to strip everything off of the bed to be washed. (I did not iron them.!) We had pullups to start. Then I asked the incontinence service to help. After a couple of months, the pull -ups were stopped, as being too expensive. I was offered the baby type pads with the sticky tapes on both sides. and that was where the trouble really began. How can you stick the tape one side and then try to hold it all in place whilst you fix the tape the other side.? Well, you can't without another pair of hands. My husband was not going to help in any way with this problem, as he was so upset that he needed this kind of help. It is so difficult. My husband,s journey is now over. I feel for you and the problems you have. Love to you.xx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@Casbow it is amazing how we develop strategies for this kind of thing. As above I have tried every kind of pad and now pay for the nappy type as well as getting the high absorbency type from the incontinence service. Each night we have a routine of toilet then hand washing then teeth cleaning. When he is at the sink cleaning his teeth I step behind him and slip the nappy on him sticking one side and propping the other side with my body while I grab the other tabs and stick them. I have to be quick before he gets a chance to object.

Once on the next step is to get on his one piece pjs which zip up the back and so far that is going well. As he cannot get at the pad it stays in place and although soaked the bed stays dry.

Tomorrow though a new mattress is being delivered and I will start by enclosing it in a waterproof cover, mattress protector on top and kylie sheet on top of the ordinary sheet. We’ll see if that’s enough!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Not a reply as such, simply seeking advice should anyone else had the same problem. In March OH was catheterised due to urine retention. This was at first a ideal solution, as he had of course been been in severe. pain and as now immobile , he is unable to get out of bed or chair . Apart from a few problems of getting used to things( and of course the increased risk of UTIs..) .now every night he his experiencing ‘overflow’..the bed and he are soaked!!
Nurses simply say he must be lying on the Cather...but the night bag is filling up as well.....
He still gets the urge when to pass urine and sometimes still get the pain as if retaining for to long?
It seems likely that a pad made be needed over the catheter, defeating the purpose somewhat!
Anyone had a similar occurrence or any suggestions as to what may be the root cause?
Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
Not a reply as such, simply seeking advice should anyone else had the same problem. In March OH was catheterised due to urine retention. This was at first a ideal solution, as he had of course been been in severe. pain and as now immobile , he is unable to get out of bed or chair . Apart from a few problems of getting used to things( and of course the increased risk of UTIs..) .now every night he his experiencing ‘overflow’..the bed and he are soaked!!
Nurses simply say he must be lying on the Cather...but the night bag is filling up as well.....
He still gets the urge when to pass urine and sometimes still get the pain as if retaining for to long?
It seems likely that a pad made be needed over the catheter, defeating the purpose somewhat!
Anyone had a similar occurrence or any suggestions as to what may be the root cause?
Thanks
Hope it helps to share so.... OH PWD is catheterised and yes UTIs are a complete pain however if he wasn’t catheterised there’d be even more urine everywhere. I had to get double size nightbags as he’d fill his leg bag and then two ‘daisy-chained’ nightbags and still overflow- truly his production of urine overnight is prodigious! Worth getting the district nurse to check catheter balloon still inflated correctly- sometimes takes a while to settle. Also the urge to pee (despite catheter) never quite goes away but seems to be more tolerated - bladder spasms can be difficult as the bladder tries to expel a foreign object i.e. the catheter and its balloon but I found switching OH to decaf coffee really helps. If thigh strap isn’t high enough (stops catheter pipe pulling and thereby pulling inside on bladder) then that can be both painful and leaky, changing sides for leg bag and thereby which side OH is ‘dressed’ that day helps too. Always pad and always a kylie sheet under top sheet.

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
Thanks
Sorry - system seems to have lost half my response to you so continuing....
You might think well why does he need all that with a catheter? Well if he didn’t have the catheter he’d have a lot more problems and I’d guess that if your OHs problem was retention then so would he - very painful.
Does take a bit of getting used to though along with more boxes of kit (bags, pads etc), another set of appointments to change catheter, more UTIs, another thing to do when putting OH to bed, plus the dementia fairy loves to fiddle with the tap and leaves it open! (never my OH...).
Just a thought, there are different materials for the catheter pipe and OH has considerably less discomfort and less leakage with softer pipe.
It’s a pain but worth it on balance I think however still running the washing machine like mad as he’s now developed double incontinence - oh the joys....but that’s another story...
Wishing you luck and support.

jeff07

Sep 16, 2021
When my husband began having frequent urine mishaps during the night I bought plastic pants from Age Uk to put over his pads and net pants. I usually get him up to the toilet around midnight but in the next gap between then and morning the bed gets wet. I use Kylie sheets to protect the bed but he is soaked. Whether the pants are leaking or he is taking himself out of them I don't know. Sometimes the pads are dry or dryish yet the bed is still wet.

How do others deal with this and do you recommend using plastic pants or should I just abandon them.
I have a pair of plastic pants lined with terry. I prefer, though, to separate the plastic pants from the absorbent product. I can't separate the terry lining from the pants when I need to wash my terry-coated plastic pants. Plastic pants can drastically diminish their life duration by washing (and especially drying). I wash my plastic pants normally by hand with a gentle soap and rince and then hang them dry. However, I need a complete wash cycle to run the terry-lined pants.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @jeff07
a warm welcome to DTP
it sounds as though you are on top of that particular situation

this thread is a couple of years old .... you can start a thread of your own if you wish, so the friendly and helpful members here can pop in with support and to chat
maybe in this forum

now you've joined us, keep posting

jeff07

Sep 16, 2021
Hello @jeff07
a warm welcome to DTP
it sounds as though you are on top of that particular situation

this thread is a couple of years old .... you can start a thread of your own if you wish, so the friendly and helpful members here can pop in with support and to chat
maybe in this forum

now you've joined us, keep posting
Thanks for such a warn hands and I will also very care full about date for the next time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR