Planning a 300 mile house move, want to move mum at same time.........any advice?

froglets

Jan 15, 2012
Ripon,Yorkshire
Hi
I'm planning a house move in a couple of months from North Yorkshire to the south coast. Long suffering husband has been living away from home during the week since losing job here and getting job there 2 years ago and things need to change.
Mum has self funded extra care accomodation here with 4 planned carer visits daily and extra visits as needed when she presses her buzzer. Local Social Services have verbally assessed her as needing a care home but I have nothing in writing. Her funds are reducing rapidly, so she will reach the £23,000 level within the next 6 months.
She is 92 and has COPD but her dementia seems to be fairly stable at the moment - she is on memantine. I visit every day and she enjoys being reminded about who is in the family and what we did years and years ago. She says she doesn't want to be left behind when I move and I intend to find a care home near my new home so I can visit easily.
One of my worries is transporting her the 300 miles. She is a nervous traveller - always has been, she is happy in the car with me, but it is a really long way!. She has very limited mobility and has had problems getting in and out of the car seat into the wheelchair when she gets tired and/or stiff with sitting too long.
Has anyone tried private ambulance transport?
My other worry is negotiating care with a new social services team - has anyone had any tips for sorting this out without too much trauma?
Sorry for long post, have been really encouraged by other people's posts and replies during the difficult times.
Thank you
Sheila

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
We moved my mother from Scotland to the midlands by private ambulance and she loved it. They took it slow with plenty of stops for cups of tea/toilet breaks etc. there were 2 paramedics with her so it was easier to transfer her to wheelchair etc. Cost for the service was £800!

As to the local authorities, we found a home we liked, got contact details of a SW in local area who responsible for that care home and put her in touch with the LA at home. They sorted things out between them quite easily.

Hope this helps,

Fiona

froglets

Jan 15, 2012
Ripon,Yorkshire
Many thanks Fiona - good to know it went well for you, sounds expensive, but worth it, much less expensive and traumatic than transporting her myself and having a crash when distracted on the road.
Looking forward to moving with less worry now,
Sheila

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
I moved my mum from Sussex to Scotland by getting my oh to do it! She's much better behaved for him. When she came up to visit the care home I took my daughter along to sit with her in the back of the car. Lots f stops at service stations - which were the worst part. I found having a bag of assorted sweets fr her to rummage in helped a little