Plan B

sammyb

Sep 19, 2007
Nottingham
Yesterday, my colleague(who has both parents with dementia) and I decided we both needed to start looking at nursing homes so that we have always got a plan b up our sleeves. We went to one of the few in our local area which is willing to take people with Alzheimer's - both SS and fee paying. This was my first ever visit to a nursing home and we were well impressed. It was as it says, a nursing home, so it had residents of all ages with varying problems from Alzheimer's through to people who were in the last stages of cancer. There was a wonderful atmosphere. It was bingo afternoon!! The home's co-ordinator who took us round had her dad, uncle and aunt living out their lives there at one time or another and there was even a mum and her daughter living there (although they needed to be kept apart because they get on each others' nerves). Single and double rooms (for husbands and wives to share) with en suite bathrooms, beautiful gardens, bedrooms decorated to the residents' choice. Only a slight whiff of wee in one or two bedrooms but nowhere else in the home. It all seemed too good to be true. I even noticed the odd whiskey bottle and ginger wine bottle on bedside tables! We are going to look at some more homes but this one is going to set the standard by which we judge all others I am sure. It cost just under £500 a week. Is that about right would people know?

Love from Sammyb

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Sammy - it sounds like you might have a potential winner there. Prices do vary by location - at my mother's nursing home, which was just outside Coventry, the rate was £600 a week. Straightforward residential might be cheaper, while in the Home Counties I can well believe it might be more expensive.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sammy, that sounds very positive. The home sounds lovely, and at under £500 is very reasonable.

If you do decide to go for it, ask to be put on the waiting list. The good homes usually have quite a long list, so you could put your name on several. If a room comes up, you don't have to take it if you're not ready, but you'd go back to the bottom of the list if you turned it down.

It's very sensible to have an idea of what you want in advance.

Love,

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear sammyb,it sounds wonderful and the fees about right.Please make sure it is up to my standards as a carer in a home (lol).seriously i am always concerned when members families have this weight on their mind.Is it good enough.is the care what we want?It's a matter of trial and error and the trial is finding the right home.i wish you all well and hope that your choice of home is as good as it sounds.love elainex

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Sammy, I think it is good to plan ahead and shop around. It doesn't hurt to ask visiting relatives either if you can get the opportunity, what their opinions on the homes are. Best Wishes Taffy.