Placement after hospital?

LynMc

May 30, 2022
We are hoping that finally the hospital / doctors will advise that mother in law should have a placement in a care home after her 5th hospital stay since April. She is far worse this time both mentally and physically. She is unable to walk, use a commode, feed herself but she can still have a conversation of sorts…usually talks complete nonsense but sometimes is very good and seems like her old self. Due a decision tomorrow apparently. I can’t see in all good conscience how any other decision could be made but we have not had a good experience over the past few months and would not like to 2nd guess them, especially the OTs. If she is offered a placement so that she can have her long terms needs assessed, would it be one that social services arrange or is there a choice? We are complete novices when it comes to this, have found lots of useful info on here and had some really great advice…the people on her really understand what each other is going through.

I have tried to find out the process from when they are medically discharged but I expect each hospital has its own procedures etc… I know social services are stretched but how long would it take usually?

Any ideas/advice would be great. Thanks.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @LynMc , would your mother in law be self-funding, that is having assets of over £23,500? If so you could start looking for homes that you think might suit her off your own bat. This booklet might help you get your head around what is involved. Certainly looking with both my mother in law and mother in mind last year I realised that a home that will suit one person won't another.
It might be worth talking to the hospital social worker, doctors etc to make sure they know your MiL recent history of frequent returns to hospital. It does sound that at the very least they should consider what is sometimes called a discharge to assess placement to properly assess her and see if she could return home. I'm sure that others that have had more knowledge of this will be along soon with their experiences.

LynMc

May 30, 2022
Hi @LynMc , would your mother in law be self-funding, that is having assets of over £23,500? If so you could start looking for homes that you think might suit her off your own bat. This booklet might help you get your head around what is involved. Certainly looking with both my mother in law and mother in mind last year I realised that a home that will suit one person won't another.
It might be worth talking to the hospital social worker, doctors etc to make sure they know your MiL recent history of frequent returns to hospital. It does sound that at the very least they should consider what is sometimes called a discharge to assess placement to properly assess her and see if she could return home. I'm sure that others that have had more knowledge of this will be along soon with their experiences.
Thank you so much for your reply…. Yes we are looking at a discharge to assess but she has declined so much in the past month its unbelievable….but maybe in a different setting things may improve.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Discharge to Access (D2A) is a good way of assessing and recording what her needs are. Yes, she might improve while she is there, but it does sound like she will need a care home on a permanent basis and this will give the evidence needed.

There is nothing to stop you looking around at care homes while she is in D2A. If she will need LA funding do ask the care homes you look at whether they would accept it.

LynMc

May 30, 2022
Discharge to Access (D2A) is a good way of assessing and recording what her needs are. Yes, she might improve while she is there, but it does sound like she will need a care home on a permanent basis and this will give the evidence needed.

There is nothing to stop you looking around at care homes while she is in D2A. If she will need LA funding do ask the care homes you look at whether they would accept it.
Thank you for all your very informative replies Canary, I have put a few post up now and you always reply with info, it really is appreciated.