Pip medical assessment

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
My mil has her pip and ESA assessment today. Apparently she went last year with my brother in law who said she scored zero and they told her to go to work.
She has FTD and AD (diagnosed end of last year) together and has learnt to use her long term memory to have plausible conversations.
She does repeat the same things over and over but apart from that an outsider would think she is ok. She is 56 but looks 46 and when the man from benefits office came he was talking to her as if she was a carer for someone with dementia as he could believe she had it until we put him straight.
My mil struggles day to day with finances, cooking, new things such as getting a bus to a bigger city or different location none of which will be picked up in a medical assessment.
I am worried that this assessment only focusses on physical health and therefore will not pick up her problem.

Any suggestions? My bil is taking her today.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"My mil struggles day to day with finances, cooking, new things such as getting a bus to a bigger city or different location none of which will be picked up in a medical assessment."

These should be included in the pip assessment.

You can do your own points assessment:-
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

If you want to refer to the official guide document with worked examples:-
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ent_data/file/368122/pip-assessment-guide.pdf

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Your BIL should insist on getting the assessment officially taped; and should intervene as necessary to correct the impression the assessor is getting. You may well need to appeal the result.

I'm not sure of my facts ...I think the new PIP system is still bedding down and there has been a rejigging of some of the assessment criteria recently (eg on mobility). If the assessment criteria have been rejigged recently it's quite possible the assessor is out of date and confused too.

The previous ATOS system was diabolical in dealing with disabilities caused by mental conditions; I wouldn't be surprised if the new system was too.

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
I hope your MIL got on ok today, I can only speak personally bit apart from trying to make an appointment with ATOS at a suitable date my daughter could attend, I found them brilliant.
The lady assessor that came to my house was really understanding & allowed my daughter to butt in when necessary, I was getting money within 2 months of my appointment
Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, we were well prepared & although it was emotional (for me) it was relatively painfree (although I guess my daughter may think differently.

Hope it works out ok

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
My husband has Alzheimer's. He receives Disability Living Allowance. Does everyone have to have a medical for PIP when assessment's are due? If so, won't look forward to it and don't see why necessary if diagnosed years ago.

Reds

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
My husband has Alzheimer's. He receives Disability Living Allowance. Does everyone have to have a medical for PIP when assessment's are due? If so, won't look forward to it and don't see why necessary if diagnosed years ago.

Reds

Same here my OH is on disability but had a letter through explaining that this year changes are coming in and he will have to be switched to PiP ! They will write to us in due course and send new forms :( ? Why can't they just switch it ????

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
Apparently the initial assessment was a bit of a joke they asked her about walking upstairs and if she uses handrails. Of course she is physically fit she's a young woman in early stages yet. My bil had to intervene and the assessor said he had to fill in the paperwork as he doesn't make the decision.

He then went on to ask memory questions which distressed my mil.
It is disgusting that they think in an hr long assessment they can try and do what in essence has taken psychologists and drs 6 months to do. Why can't they accept the 5 page report and brain scan as evidence without putting people through this ridiculous procedure. My mil is so embarrassed she makes up information. They asked her if she cleans her house (she does a bit but not really) and what she had for breakfast and she said porridge (she hates porrige).
In summary there seems to be little understanding beyond obvious physical conditions.
I'm frustrated with it all.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Chick, I am on DLA but M being transferred to PIP. After initial phone assessment, a 40 page form which took over 2 hours for me and AgeUK expert to fill in, I got a letter saying I would have to have a medical and it would be in the next 26 !! weeks. Meanwhile DLA will continue. Fair enough. I haven't got dementia, I hope, but have plenty of other things wrong and can't walk very far. I just have to sweet talk LA into renewing blue badge!

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Chick, I am on DLA but M being transferred to PIP. After initial phone assessment, a 40 page form which took over 2 hours for me and AgeUK expert to fill in, I got a letter saying I would have to have a medical and it would be in the next 26 !! weeks. Meanwhile DLA will continue. Fair enough. I haven't got dementia, I hope, but have plenty of other things wrong and can't walk very far. I just have to sweet talk LA into renewing blue badge!

That's awful Spamar ! We have that all to come too last time our admiral nurse stepped in as she was so angry we got turned down all the time! She's left since then so I am a bit nervous about filling it all in again!!! Mind hubby got diagnosed with vascular dementia since then as well as spinal stenosis, arthritis and had 2 mini strokes . The list just grows longer every year .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
Hello

I can only comment from our experience, as I am sure is different depending on where you live, but my husband was 56 so young dementia person. Whilst I was anxious, the asssor was friendly and seemed to listen, I was compeletely honest about what he could and couldn't do, so physically ok, but language, Social interaction, long term financial planning (at that time, not short term but that has gone too now), choosing appropriate clothing, medication unless remindered or if it changes, all a problem, but he can make a cup of tea and remember what day it is. I made it clear where the issues were, but was honest about what he could do as well, as we had nothing to hide. He was awarded PIP and the assessment was fine for us. Others I am sure have different opinions.the worst kart to be fair was my nerves about it, the actual assssment was fine,

I hope you have a similar experience.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Dan, yes, OK now, but before I was on DLA, not top rate for mobility, well, I don't think so.
John, dont know why lot of pip queries, would have thought most people had transferred by now, though I have noticed on here that there is often several questions on same subject, seems to go in waves.
I was fine with PIP interview. I remember saying I hope I would stay the same, as I need money to pay cleaner and gardener and the examiner said, I wouldn't worry! Then when I got the letter found out I'd gone up to higher mobility and higher living! I was gobsmacked! Mainly cos I'd got used to the things I couldn't do! When I stop and think about it, I sort of understand.My problem was that when OH died, I thought I would get better. I haven't. That's what is causing me a lot of mental problems and what ifs......