Pip form

Raest

Jan 15, 2022
My husband of 56 was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s this week. He has logopenic asphasia and we are to complete the Pip form tomorrow. Does anyone have a tips on the best way to do this. Also he had to stop driving as initially it was thought he had auto encephalitis but his consultant thinks he could drive with an assessment. We declared dementia to Dvla in November (neurologist advised us at that point. Sorry for all the questions

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Hi There, welcome to DTP.

I don't know bout PIP but Age UK helped us with filling in the Attendance Allowance form.
Did the DVLA withdraw his licence or did he just give up driving?
If the DVLA withdrew it, contact them and request an assessment, my OH contested his licence removal but it took 8 months for him to get the assessment and that was before Covid.

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
Hi Raest, my advise completing the PIP firm is to explain in as much detail as you can the help he needs to do daily tasks. You need to concentrate on a bad day. Example being. Getting out of bed! Break it right down. What physicall help he needs and does he need encouraged.
it's upsetting don't it like this because it will bring it raw to you .
I would also apply to be his appointee so you can speak for him when you contact them.
good luck

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Raest and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a very friendly and supportive place and you'll get lots of help and advice here.
I'm sure others that have had to fill in the PIP form will be along shortly with advice as to the best way of filling it out, as it is something I have no familiarity with.
I wonder if the Rare Dementia Support would also be a useful place information and support.

Raest

Jan 15, 2022
Thank you, DVLA didn’t withdraw it, but consultant thinks we can book an assessment ourselves and I have spoken to a company and they can do from March. As we have declared dementia to DVLA we don’t know if he is allowed to drive. I know they have such a backlog and I worry by the time we get it moving he will have declined further

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I would get someone to help you fill it in - Age UK or CAB - as it is very, very easy to downplay the problems that he is having and also these organisation know the right phraseology to use when filling it in. You need to fill it in as if it were the very worst day from hell. I also found that OH didnt fit neatly into the different "boxes" and I was at a loss how to fill it in. Age UK are particularly helpful and will help people aged 55 or over.

If you get turned down - do appeal.

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
I would get someone to help you fill it in - Age UK or CAB - as it is very, very easy to downplay the problems that he is having and also these organisation know the right phraseology to use when filling it in. You need to fill it in as if it were the very worst day from hell. I also found that OH didnt fit neatly into the different "boxes" and I was at a loss how to fill it in. Age UK are particularly helpful and will help people aged 55 or over.

If you get turned down - do appeal.
It also helps if you send copies of any medical procedures and therapies he has and a list of prescription from gp.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
When I applied for PIP for my late husband the main advice I followed was to describe how things were on his worst days.

It is also important to repeat information on different pages where appropriate. I was told that the pages are separated so don't assume that the people reading the application know what has been written in every section - they only see information for the section they are reading - and I found that some information was relevant to more than one section.

I cobbled together as much of my husband's medical notes as I could to back up what I was saying - and gave permission for them to approach his GP if further proof was needed.

The important thing is that any information has to be directly about your husband's specific needs. That sounds obvious I know, but one assessor told me that some people send in general information sheets about dementia to back up their applications but that these are not taken into account - only information that can be verified as applying specifically to the applicant is assessed.

Good luck and I hope you receive a successful result.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
we had a nurse phoned to discuss my needs after the form was filled in and sent so she could write a report for the assessment who was very nice and helpful. i did mine with welfare rights man at city council. he also did my husbands attendance allowance as well.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
WE are too applying for PIP but my husband awaiting for memory clinic should we wait until we receive a diagnosis before submitting the form- which could be months-

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
WE are too applying for PIP but my husband awaiting for memory clinic should we wait until we receive a diagnosis before submitting the form- which could be months-
No, you dont have to wait for a diagnosis as the payment is decided on symptoms.
A diagnosis helps if they quibble it, but it is not actually necessary.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
My OH is to have an assessment for PIP over the phone soon ,can anyone give avice on what to say and what the assessors will ask

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My OH is to have an assessment for PIP over the phone soon ,can anyone give avice on what to say and what the assessors will ask
they go through all the activities of daily living food, walking personal care, going out alone, for all these, its how much you can do with out assistance and what assistance you need eg seat in the shower, walking aids, if you need supervising, make sure you base it on the worse day ever and all the help you need including prompts for eating, meds or whether someone else has to do it.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Raest - I wondered if you would find the information and the links within this of any help -

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
OH had his assessment today with my help- they ask about mobility washing- cooking - -cooking which he has been ban from by me because he dangerous- they seems to be basic random questions read from script and lots of key board noises and though seemed to be short burst on what my OH stated. guess most of what he said went unrecorded - but we have to see in his letter if successful in 14 weeks time - not holding out for much hope. but we have tried
the one thing what may hold him back is his insistence to remain in work and not sit at home waiting for the day he falls completely apart.so OH says

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
OH had his assessment today with my help- they ask about mobility washing- cooking - -cooking which he has been ban from by me because he dangerous- they seems to be basic random questions read from script and lots of key board noises and though seemed to be short burst on what my OH stated. guess most of what he said went unrecorded - but we have to see in his letter if successful in 14 weeks time - not holding out for much hope. but we have tried
the one thing what may hold him back is his insistence to remain in work and not sit at home waiting for the day he falls completely apart.so OH says
the questions are activities of living. what he could do on his own, what he needs help with and what he cant do or is too much of risk to do. i had an assessment on the phone and its the same questions. what aids i needed to be able to do these things. they have 2 sections they are assessing him for, daily living and mobility. i have standard for both but there is an enhanced rate as well. im the one caring for my PWD husband so dont despair. good luck and remember you can appeal if necessary