PIP Assessment by telephone

angelhugs

Jan 12, 2019
Hi everyone, I need some advice regarding a PIP assessment. A telephone assessment has been arranged for Tuesday. I completed the form for my husband who doesn’t actually realise the difficulties he has plus he always says everything is fine. He gets angry with me if I tell the doctor otherwise. I have to email the doctor before his appointment to update him. I have to deal with his medication, meals, banking etc He has me up during the night which he doesn’t remember and got angry when I told the doctor. I have been honest on the form but I know he will say he can do everything himself. He can talk the talk so he gets away with it. If you didn’t know him you wouldn’t know anything was wrong with him. If they mention anything I have written my life won’t be worth living. I am a nervous wreck worrying about it. He can be really aggressive which I have stated on the form. Why would they want to speak to him? It seems ridiculous. Do you think I should ring before the assessment? I am so scared of them reading out what I have written.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @angelhugs
I'd call and say everything you've put in your post ... especially that there could be aggressive repercussions
though I can see that they have to check claims, unfortunately not everyone makes an honest claim
Bunpoots has a good point ... if you have LPA in place it gives you more authority as your husband's legal representative

angelhugs

Jan 12, 2019
Thank you all for your help, I rang them today and at first they weren’t very helpful. They wanted to speak to my husband first. I told her the call affected me. She said he needed to be asked questions about how his condition affects him and his medication etc. I told her he won’t know. She said there was nothing I could do because I am not the “Appointee” I was advised against applying for that when I rang for the claim form as I have POA. I told her I was worried about them reading out what is on the form because of his aggression towards me. She said she will put notes on the file but she couldn’t put anything on the system because I am not the appointee. She said I could listen in on the call but my husband only has a basic phone as he can’t use them and the loudspeaker is really low. She has put my number on for the call so they will ring my phone and he can put it on loudspeaker. Fingers crossed it all goes well, my nerves are still gone. I felt like telling them to leave it, I just can’t deal with the stress.
Thank you all again xx

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
Have you registered the POA with them? My husband was appointee first for his parents and then we registered the Deputyship with DWP as well so that I could deal with them instead of him.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
The customer service person doesn't understand that an attorney actually has more weight than an appointee. An appointee is just for state benefits whereas an attorney has more legal powers. I would ring again and explain the situation - you may get a more helpful person; if not, ask to speak to their manager.

In any case, a person with dementia often doesn't understand they have a problem nor can they explain what is wrong with them or what they can and can't do. The DWP needs to know that. Your application should give the names of your doctor or psychiatrist - they should refer to them for their professional opinion. They should not attempt to make a telephone appointment with a person with this condition.

As @thistlejak says, you should send them a certified copy of the LPA as soon as possible for them to put on their system.

ClaireeW

Sep 22, 2021
Hi @angelhugs. At this precise moment, it won't be any help, but if you are able to become your husband's appointee, even if you are turned down after the assessment, you have the opportunity to take the case to a Tribunal. At that stage, as your husband's appointee, you will be able to give a full version of events to the panel. You can submit a written statement in advance, giving all the facts if you wish. Sensitive information can be labelled as such if you are worried. This way, if your husband denies any problem, the panel will have the opportunity to see the true picture. If your husband has an official diagnosis it will help the panel if they can have some evidence of this, as they then employ their knowledge and experience of the condition, to interpret the situation fairly. Good luck

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @angelhugs I'm thinking that if you applied as your husband’s attorney they should speak to you and not to him. If you have a record of what you said on the form keep it by you but if you don’t just describe how he is on the worst days (he won’t get any better).

My dad became convinced he was fine - and the worst his dementia became the more he thought he was fine! Anyone who knows anything about dementia will know this is how it goes. Keep calm and tell the truth of the situation and you’ll be fine. If they do want to speak to your husband explain that he has dementia and has no idea he has anything wrong with him . I suspect if they ask him if he has dementia he’ll indignantly deny it!

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I would refuse to let them speak to your husband and thump the table. You are his legal representative as POA and you speak on his behalf. As others say POA is more powerful than appointee, you don't need the latter but you must register the PoA with the DWP. Then they should talk to you and do not take no for an answer.