PIP application - is there any point?

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Well done for getting the application off. Yes, it is very sobering when we take that step in writing things down as they are and finally realise exactly what the effects of dementia are on our loved one, and even on us.

I hope you do not have too long to wait before they are in touch - but, if you are successful, at least they will make sure any payments go back to the actual date of application.

Good luck :)

sarahsea

Dec 19, 2017
I just wanted to say thank you for the comments and advice I received when I posted about PiP at the end of July. I had to complete the application form on behalf of my husband (mainly early in the morning when he was asleep) as he's not capable of doing it himself and also doesn't accept his diagnosis.

Anyway, he received a letter yesterday to say that he's been awarded the enhanced rate for both daily living and mobility, backdated to 6th July when I made the original phone application. He was quite confused about the letter, but because it was from the Department for Work and Pensions, he assumed it's a pension, and I agreed with him. The letter has now been put away so he can't re-read it. The award won't be reviewed until 2028. My biggest fear was that he would have to attend an interview, but he didn't, and that was a huge relief. So I've now applied for carer's allowance and will be contacting the council re a possible council tax disregard.

Strangely, although I was pleased to get the letter, it was also a very sad moment as I saw in black and white the devastation that dementia has caused to my once intelligent and articulate husband. Onwards and upwards. Or at least onwards....

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @sarahsea
it's really good to hear that all your efforts were rewarded if that's the right word - it must be a weight off your mind and as you say allows you to apply for more support

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Well done @sarahsea,

It must be a relief to have that bit behind you now. Like you, once I received the letter confirming my husband's entitlement, I just put it away out of sight and we moved on with our lives. It was good just knowing that it was in place, and that (barring any change of circumstances) my husband wouldn't be followed up for another 10 years.