Piles, colonoscopy and clear soup!

CHESS

May 14, 2006
LANCS.
My Mum recently saw a general surgeon. She has piles and has been regularly bleeding, though my Mum has no idea what the blood means. The surgeon confirmed my diagnosis(!), but wants to investigate further.

My Mum is to undergo a colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy this coming Thursday, for which she will be sedated. At the same time, they are hoping to "bind" the piles, not wanting to remove them surgically because of her AD.

For two days prior to the procedure, my Mum is not allowed any solid food, only clear drinks, soups or jellies. The drinks are no problem; my Mum drinks cranberry juice all the time. I am wondering if any of you can come up with any ideas about the soups, eg any good recipes, or even what clear soups are available, and where from. A quick look round one supermarket today didn't help me.

More importantly, are any of you able to enlighten me about your own experiences of these procedures being carried out on your loved ones with AD. I know I'll be able to ask questions of the surgeon beforehand, but wondered if you had any particular thoughts about this. As you can imagine, I am concerned about how my Mum is going to deal with this, and how I am going to deal with my Mum!

Many thanks.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
My husband had to have a small operation on his face and I was allowed to be with him both as he ws being prepared for the op and, later, as he recovered in the recovery room. I'm sure that helped him to stay calm. I don't know if this helps. Sorry I can't suggest anything for the diet but it sounds a rather difficult two days for both you and your mum.

xxTinaT

Suzy R

Jul 4, 2004
Switzerland
I can't help with the surgery aspect but clear soups generally come either in tins or (at least here) in the same format as stock cubes. You need to take care, though, as the salt content can be very high. You might try bovril or related, or perhaps Japanese miso, which I saw last week in the UK at Waitrose.

Good luck with the hospital visit.

Suzy

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello CHESS,

I`m sorry about this operation for your mother, it isn`t the easiest at the best of times.

You could make your own clear chicken soup, just by boiling a couple of chicken joints, or the carcass, from a raost whole chicken. Add an onion and a couple of carrots, a bay leaf, and seasoning. Simmer for two hours and strain.

Or you can buy Israeli chicken stock cubes from your local supermarket, the one in Prestwich by Junction 17 M60, has them. They are not as nourishing, but a good stand-by.

I will try to find some other information about clear soups for you,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi CHESS

John and I have both had sigmoidoscopy. I found it very painful and distressing, and fainted afterwards in the recovery room. So I was very worried when John had to have it. I stayed with him, and he chatted away to me and the doctor, and didn't turn a hair!

The worst part is the very strong laxative you have to take beforehand.:eek: But again, it bothered me more than it did John, so you really can't tell.

Sylvia's clear chicken broth is an excellent idea, though I'd use leek rather than onion, gentler on the system.

You can do the same thing with breast of lamb, but because it's so fatty you have to let it get cold and peel the solidified fat off the top before using. Both very tasty.

You could do French onion, but I don't think it would be good in the circs.

I hope all goes well with your mum.

CHESS

May 14, 2006
LANCS.
I knew you wouldn't let me down! Thanks to you all.

I omitted to mention about the laxatives. My Mum had a hair appointment booked for the Wednesday, thought it better to cancel!

Will let you know how we get on.

Thanks again for all your helpful advice and suggestions.

VIB35

Oct 15, 2007
Herts
My mother, who has early onset dementia aged 64, underwent a colonoscopy and endoscopy (cameras up and down in simple terms) last year and it was much better than i had imagined. We didn't really tell her the full extent of what they were going to do so we didn't worry her. Her appetite is very poor anyway, so she didn't miss not eating for 24 hours. She was sedated and very calm and it all went well. Afterwards, when i went to see her, she was sitting in bed eating rich tea biscuits and serene. She seemed to be pretty much unaware of what she had been through which was great. She did have tummy pains in the afternoon afterwards so watch out for that. All the best, I hope it goes ok. VIB35

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi, Chess, mum has gone through many colonoscopies and endoscopies over the years - and the last time when dementia had already 'got its foot in the door' so to speak .... our problems last time around were less about the not eating / laxatives etc beforehand (but I guess that depends on how some one is with general shall we say 'digestion and evacuation' issues anyway ...... but highlighted the fact that even mild sedation seemed to have an adverse effect ... or was it being in unfamiliar surroundings? - or a combination of both? Mum was quite oblivious to the procedure afterwards - but adamant the lady in the next bed had stolen her nightie!!!!!!! 'Aftercare' was more about assuaging the people she had upset during her short stay! :eek:

My only advice would be to make sure the 'surgical' and ward staff are aware of her needs (and any possibilities regarding her 'behaviour') - and make sure they are marked on her notes for shift changes during the times you can't be there ...

Oh, and remember these may be distressing procedures but they are generally routine ........ you cannot ignore an issue like bleeding ..... it may be from the piles alone, but of course, knowing what you are dealing with is the first part of any battle.

Good luck to both of you.

Love Karen, x

CHESS

May 14, 2006
LANCS.
Thanks for the benefit of your experiences. My Mum had just called to me from the toilet, showing me the blood again, worrying about it. I tried to reassure her that we were getting it sorted this week. She seemed happy with that.

She has to go two full days beforehand on the liquids, with the laxatives on the second of these. My Mum, too, doesn't have much of an appetite at the moment but, what's the betting that will all change this week?!

Although all the literature says that relatives can't wait in the unit, it does say that, "in special cicumstances", this can be arranged at the discretion of the ward sister. I fully intend to stay with her all the time, otherwise she really would be distressed.

The one good thing about AD is that it will be all forgotten so soon aftrewards and, if my Mum's previous reactions are anything to go by, she'll be saying, "Weren't they all lovely?" Let's hope that's the case.

Thanks again to you all. Where would I be without you?

Love, Chessxx

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Deli King ?

Silvia, are you refering to Deli King, prestwich ?
If so, I have the best chicken soup recipe ever.
Barb

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
No, Barb. I do know of the Deli King,Prestwich, but the chicken soup recipe is a standard one used for generations. :)

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Sorry Chess

Just checking, because, this rearly is the best soup you could ever have.
The jewish people call it jewish penicilin, and how right they are.
Tasty, good and full of TLC.:)
Barb

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I would think any consomme would work as well. The only problem is: commercially prepared consomme isn't going to have as much goodness in it as home-made. However, I've always found Baxter's to be pretty good.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Been a long time since I made it - But

Take a chicken breast,on the bone, or leg, on the bone, and simmer for 1 hour in one and a half pint's of water.
Remove the chicken, and add 2 Knorr chicken stock cubes, to the soup, DO NOT ADD ANY SALT, the stock cube has enough in it. Simmer for another five min's. Chicken soup. For other's who want, add the chicken peeled off the bone and some thin spagetti, look's like noodles. And, tastes just as good. Also, just a bit of pepper, black is better, if not any pepper.
Barb

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Hiya, from my experience with patients having this proceedure they seem to suffer most afterwards, with pain from wind. Might I suggest buying some peppermint cordial and make her a small glass of it with hot water every so often afterwards? It really seems to help ease it without the need for extra medication.:)

CHESS

May 14, 2006
LANCS.
Update

Thanks to you all for your advice and recipes. I must say my chicken soup went down a treat.

The laxatives worked really well, all over my Mum's clothes, toilet and bathroom floors, bed, etc. Well, what are washing machines for?

As far as yesterday (when my Mum was at the hospital) was concerned, my Mum was fine at first. We were there st 8am, as was everyone else. Just before 9 my Mum started getting really upset and distressed. I mentioned this to the receptionist, and it wasn't long, then, until we were called in. A student nurse went through all the paperwork and tests with us, then my Mum changed into her gown, getting more upset all the time, not knowing where she was, wanting to go home, etc.

We were then shown to a waiting area, with just one empty chair. In all fairness to the nurse, she realized this wouldn't work, and took us straight to a cubicle, where we stayed until 11.40am, when we went to theatre/treatment room, whatever.

Apart from three occasions when my Mum fell asleep, she was so distressed it was horrendous. The nurses kept coming to see if we were ok, and supplied me with coffee, but they couldn't speed things up. I was able to go in with my Mum until she went to sleep, and I knew the surgeon personally, from Church, so I knew he would take good care of her (not because he knew me, but because I know he's a good surgeon!). My Mum was back after 35 minutes, and seemed in quite a bit of pain. She wasn't coming here again! She had a few biscuits and a drink (jokingly asking if it was poison) , got dressed and we were then able to leave. As we drove out of the hospital, my Mum was saying what a lovely day we'd had!

The procedure went very well. They were able to bind the piles. They should drop off in 4/5 days. They removed a polyp, which has gone for testing, with a follow-up appt. in 3 months, so I don't think there must be anything to worry about on that score.

My Mum was fine went we got home, about 2pm. She relished her cheese on toast. About 5pm, she started getting upset again. She went to bed three times, getting up again each time and being distressed until, eventually, about 8pm, she settled down.

I was absolutely drained. My Mum has had these distressing episodes before, but never for such a prolonged period of time.

Just can't wait for my Mum's assessment at the clinic next Thursday!!!

She was fine this morning. There has been no pain, no wind, no memory!

Many thanks again to all of you for your help and support.

With love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a long and distressing day for you CHESS.

I`m glad the surgery went well but wonder if it was really necessary to keep your mother waiting for nearly four hours, without food or drink not understanding what was happening, for surgery.

I hope your mother will be all right and have no pain.

I hope you will get a chance to have a rest.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Chess, I do think they might have been a bit more considerate, and given your mum priority considering her distress. But still, she's come through it, and will have forgotten it by now. It might take you a bit longer to recover!:eek:

I hope the results won't show anything nasty. Mine was an abscess, and though I have to be careful what I eat, and it still flares up from time to time, I haven't had any major problems since.

Any hint of trouble and I'm extra careful -- I'd do anything to avoid those dreaded pills. Talk about Vesuvius!:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976