Pilates/yoga/exercise DVD for the elderly

phin

Jan 8, 2011
Hi all,

I am the lodger with a 77 year old lady with Alzheimers. She came out of hospital a week ago, after being in for 10 days with pneumonia. She's still quite weak and we are keen to get her back to being as independent as possible again. She used to do a pilates class once a week but until she can get back to that we thought it would be good to get a DVD to do at home.

Do you have any recommendations for one? Either yoga, pilates or some other gentle exercise would be great. There are a few on Amazon but I thought I would post here and ask.

Thanks for your help!

Fiona

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s not easy to recommend unless you know the content of the DVD and the fitness level of the person wanting it.

I have tried Tai Chi DVDs and fitness ones too but they stay on the shelf.

I hope someone does have a tried and tested one for you.

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi Phin, may I suggest you use Youtube first, so you can give it a go and identify what type of exercises may help. Also ask the physiotherapist to teach you the prescribed exercises so you can do them with her.

How lovely that this lady has you on her side to encourage and support her when she gets home. You're a star :)

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Hi Fiona :)

After a hysterectomy I got a couple of pilates DVDs by Lynne Robinson on the recommendation of the physiotherapist. They were nice and gentle and apart from needing a tennis ball for one exercise, no other equipment was needed.

phin

Jan 8, 2011
Great suggestions - thanks very much! I will get on YouTube later and have a look for something suitable.

@loveahug - It's a great arrangement - I get cheap rent in return for her having some company and someone to keep an eye on her. Honestly I don't know why it's not more common for people of my age (36) and younger to live with older people - works out so well. It's also incredibly rewarding to help :)

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
it's strange, Phin, that there was a great Radio 4 article about similar arrangements in France. They place university students who get free board and lodgings in return for companionship, a share of the chores and other arrangements such as shopping. It;s all done officially and they have to sign a contract. Why does cynical me feel it might not work that well in the UK?

I think you're a star anyways....

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Our local council used to run an 'official' scheme like this, and I knew a couple of people (young and old) who benefitted greatly.

However, as far as I know it's been discontinued....there must be something similar online though, surely :confused:

A great idea as long as everyone stays flexible and honest :) x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camalot