Pigging Awful day

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
From the minute she got up, to the minute she went to bed, Jean has been in tears and repeating over and over again that she wants to go home.

I told her gently (honestly) to go and she spent 20 minutes in the garden this morning in the pouring rain and howling wind, dressed in nighty, dressing gown and slipper. No amount of persuading would bring her in.

This afternoon, the same. Sunshining, stood under the apple tree for nearly 30 minutes tlaking to herself and the shed door. Still wanting to go home.

Boy, am I glad to day is over. Just a thought though, tomorrow might be worse.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You have my absolute sympathy Grommit.

There must be something in the air as I`ve had it all day too. not outside in nightclothes, but constant questioning, does he need a passport for Manchester etc.
Friday and Saturday he was in pyjamas all day and picking pears off the tree to feed the birds.

There`s only so much you can ask of your patience.

Another post today quoted `they`ll be better for being worse`. I`m waiting.

Take care

Love xx

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
been there,you need big time help

Hi, have already told you about the help you can get,that is if you want to keep her at home.. call me if you want to talk...

Tommy
I have removed your telephone number,it is not advisable to post personal details on the open forum
A PM is suitable
Norman.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Grommit

this is such a bad time for you both. I used to retreat to the woods in the bottom of the garden as a time-out.

while succeeding days may be worse, they may also be better.

If the days are consistently worse, then you need to do something about it for both your sakes - perhaps a change of medication would help.

best wishes

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Grommit and Sylvia, I'm very sorry you both had such awful days. How lucky your spouses are to have your care and company. No one understands them as you both do, and no one cares for them the way you both do. I really hope that you are able to 'turn some corners' this week and enjoy some peace of mind. Thinking of you all and sending love and kindest wishes, Deborah

sandrah

Jul 11, 2007
west midlands
Maybe there is something in the air as my Dad was up half the night wanting to go home every time I got him back to his bedroom he would be up an hour later trying to go out again,wouldn't put on his pyjamas and went to bed in his clothes even when I went in to take his breakfast this morning he was still on about wanting to get out of this place. it is strange he can't remember what he said 30 seconds ago but can still remember that a few hours later. He has forgotten about it at the minute but I.m dreading him starting again.
Sandra

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Fingers crossed for the best Sandra.

I think it's one of the most frustrating aspects of dementia - the repetitiveness. It's the same with mum and can go on for hours at a time.

As mum can't really speak anymore it's just one word over and over again...:eek:

Still we can only hope for better days.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
sandrah said:
he was still on about wanting to get out of this place. Sandra

Dear Sandra,

This is the story of my life, and although it doesn`t help you to know that, it certainly helps me.

The only way I can find it remotely acceptable, is that somehow, your father and my husband think another place will take them from the horror of AD.

Since my husband`s anti-depressants were split to give him a morning, as well as an evening dose, there has been some improvement in his agitation. Perhaps this might be something you would like to discuss with your father`s doctor.

Love xx

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Thank you everyone for your consideration. It is comforting to know that others, unfortunately, are going through the same thing and trying to cope with it as best they can.

Today has been totally different again, all smiles and sunshine.

I might only get through the one bottle of whisky tonight.

Thanks again for all your posts.

sandrah

Jul 11, 2007
west midlands
Thanks for your replies
Dad has been prescribed Promazine to be taken "as and when" but how can you forsee "when" and he is usually quite good during the day he starts early evening I think it is called sundowning he is also on Ryminyl 24 the doctor said he could have it any time of day so he has it teatime but maybe it would be better first thing in the morning. I know it must be hell for him and he is confused and frightened a lot of the time and I would do anything to make it better.
Sandra

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
We used Promazine for Jan when she was sundowning.

I found I could learn to detect it coming on some time before it became evident, simply by observation.

Then I would say how thirsty I was, and get two drinks. Jan's was laced with Promazine.

It took some time to kick in, but I believe it helped.

You have to be with them all the time though.......

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
It is heartbreaking to see loved ones confused and firhtened, Sandrah.

All you can do is to smooth the way a little and understand a lot.

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Sorry you have all had such bad days. And Grommit I'm glad that today was better for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Jackie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR