Picks Disease

JoJo

Sep 25, 2003
Shropshire
Hi everybody.

Although I have posted a few times here I check in almost every day just to see what invaluable advice is being banded around!

But I would be very grateful if anyone can help me with this please - my dad was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers last year - he is 60 - and my parents were told today he has memory loss due to Alz and Picks Disease.

Spookily enough Picks Disease is the one thing my mum and I thought he may be suffering from long before any doctor would even look at him let alone diagnose him.

I have read about the changes to expect but am a little concerned that it says the drugs usually taken to treat Alzheimers are contraindictive for Picks as it increases aggression.

Dad is on Reminyl(?) and althought I haven't had a chance to speak to mum in detail she mentioned nothing about him being taken off his medication.

Of course, its now nearly 7pm on a Friday and I won't be able to speak to his out reach nurse when I need answers!!!!

And I do want to add how useful I find this site. Although I don't care for Dad on a day to day basis I want to support my mum who also uses this site as a source of info - Hi Mum!

As depressing as it may sometimes be to hear of how our beloveds will end up, it is great to know we are not the only ones and tap into some of the inspiration here!

Thanks

JoJo

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Hi jojo
These concerns you have should be voiced with the consultant involved, although others are able to offer you GENERAL advise.

I think that it is more likely a probable diagnosis, especially if your Dad has had a scan, and more so, if after talking to your Mum, the doctor had agreed that your Dad has more communciation and personality changes than memory loss.
However, the alzheimers diagnosis gives your dad the opportunity to try the medication.
Im sure he will be closely monitored for any adverse affects.

Im glad you have found this site and hope you continue to use it for, and too support.

JoJo

Sep 25, 2003
Shropshire
I think you may have misunderstood me Angela. We are of course talking to my dad's consultant but I was after some experience from other's in the same position. Many people have never even heard of Picks and it is always interesting to hear others' experiences.

It is a definite diagnosis for my dad so we will see how we get on.

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
Hi Jo Jo

No experience of Pick's Disease I'm afraid. But I too had worked out that Mum had Lewy Body Dementia before it was picked up by a Consultant. She too was probably on medication to sedate her at night that was contrindicated before the coreect diagnosis. One of the real things that worried me when Mum was at home was that I in effect despensing powerful drugs with awful side effects that only a Qualified Nurse could give out in a Nursing Home,

Geraldine