Picks Disease..what happens next?

makalu

Nov 2, 2008
West Sussex
I havent posted for a long while. Dads 62 and suffering from Picks disease.
He is losing weight and is now having trouble swallowing food, so he is seeing a speech therapist to decide what food he needs and how it should be taken. He chokes .. a lot.
So are we slipping into the later stages of this disease now? He is incontinent and wears a pad.
He sleeps a lot and is not as active as he was.
His speech is very minimal.
Are there stages to this disease? If so where are we now?
How much longer does he have?
What happens when he is off his legs, will he become bed ridden and unable to move being fed through a drip?
How long does it go on for?
I am asking these questions here as I dont know where else to ask...

Betty272

Apr 14, 2011
Southampton
Hi I'm a new user.
My partner has just been diagnosed, he is only 52, it is such a shock.

How long has your father had his diagnosis? I don't know how long the good stage lasts. We are at the start, and there doesn't seem too be a lot of time span knowledge around.
Betty

rimmel11

Nov 3, 2009
Surrey
Hey,
im 24, my mum is 56 and was diagnosed with Picks about two years ago although i had already diagnosed her with that myself about two years previous, how long has your dad had it? Things are going down hill pretty quickly here and its alot to juggle with a full time job and mum at home! argh!!

katie

Betty272

Apr 14, 2011
Southampton
denial

So sorry to hear about your mum. It feels devastating doesn't it.

It's my partner, not dad. We split up due to his weird behaviour about 2 yrs ago but stayed close friends. Now he has the diagnosis it explains everything. He is in total denial though, I don't know how to get him to understand. He thinks he is fine still.

Logan

Nov 1, 2010
How is Pick's diagnosed? Would welcome some insight into just what is being looked at on scans and what scans?