picks and muscle stiffness

mo lowe

Apr 24, 2008
Hello, my mum has picks she has had it for about 8 years now she has no speech left and is pretty much bed bound and cant look after her own personal needs, a few month back mum started to lose the movement in her right arm and now that has become very stiff with no real movement but up until the last few weeks her walking hasnt been to bad we need to have two people with her due to her wobbly balance but her right leg now has started to become very stiff and some days walking her to the kitchen is impossible as she cant weight bare at all and seems to have no movement in that side at all and then the next day she moves around not to bad or even thoughout the day she can improve but not always. We have a doctor in to look at her and has said it isnt a stroke and that we should try to walk her around more and that it is just muscle waste but to us it seems more than just the muscle waste as her left side is good and have no real problems there. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and could ofter us some help and advice?

Many thanks alex

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Hello Alex,
I am afraid I do not have an answer for you but wondered whether you had found the Fronto Temporal Dementia Support Group www.pdsg.org.uk as I think there may be someone there with a similar experience
Tre

mo lowe

Apr 24, 2008
Thank you I haven't heard for that one I ha e now joined them and will ask them but thank you for letting me know x

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Hi MoLowe,

Has your mum had a blood test? Also does she find moving her arms/legs painful?
I'm wondering if she may have something called Polymyalgia Rheumatica as it does cause muscle stiffness. Usually at first it affects both sides of the body but I don't know if it always does. It can happen quite suddenly.

A blood test would show up any inflammation which if high, can be controlled with medication which eliminates stiffness and pain.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
My dad has Picks - his mobility has just very, very slowly declined. He can still walk, just, with a frame and some support. He has a very distinctive 'shuffle' and sometimes gets stuck in one spot and needs to re-orient himself before he can get going again. Of course its difficult to advise him what to do as he doesn't follow what you're saying!

The movement just gradually decreased over a period of about 3-4 years, got quite suddenly worse about a year ago, went downhill again sharply about 6 months ago, but kind of stabilised and has remained static for a little while now. He used to fall a lot when he was in the 'in between' stage but now his mobility is worse he doesn't fall as much (as obviously he can't get around so well) so its both a blessing and a curse!

He spends most of the day in a good supportive chair watching his TV, chatting with the nurses and visitors and snoozing. Never seems to be in any pain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister