Jul 30, 2008
    My wife is runnig with a phycosis as well as alzheimers anyone the same

2. gigi

gigi Registered User

Nov 16, 2007
    East Midlands
    Morning Ray,

Just wanted to welcome you to TP!

I have no experience of psychosis with Alzheimers..but I'm sure others have.

It's early yet...

Someone will be along soon.

Do you have any particular problems or issues..if so it may be helpful for you to give a little more detail..

TP is great place to find support and friendship to help us through these times.

Love gigi xx

3. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    #3 Margarita, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
    Yes

My mother has very disorganized thinking, hallucinations (because of medication) & delusions,changes in the way my mother describe her feelings, thoughts and perceptions. but it never come to the point that its acute.

Mum still has delusions, but it does not distress her as

It can beaming very frightening, leaving the person confused and distressed. Then with someone with a dementia, it be very hard for them to have any insight into what happening to them .

Is your wife becoming distressed about it .?

If it is, you can get a review in your wife Medical assessment, so getting treatment for it , if necessary.

Welcome to TP .

If you don't mind sharing what changes are you seeing in your wife that is worrying you about your wife ?

But if you don't want to share I understand, but please keep posting .

4. p34nut5

p34nut5 Registered User

Apr 17, 2008
    southampton hants
    phychosis

Hello,

Yes my mum has phychosis with her Alzheimers which manifests itself as delusions and hallucinations. These are the worst affects of the Alzheimer's for me because they are causing mum a lot of distress. The delusions make mum very frightened at times which is an awful thing to witness, especially when however hard I try to talk her out of it, it doesn't make any difference to her.

I think phychosis with Alzheimer's is a common symptom, and I hope your relative only suffers mildly and that the doctors can control it.

Hope you are Ok,

Sue

5. ray rooke

ray rooke Registered User

Jul 30, 2008
    v.a.d

My wife was at first diagnoised with vascular dementia and was sectioned under the mental health act .Since her release from hospital after one year shes now also been diagnoised with alzheimers

6. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Registered User

Aug 20, 2006
    Yes, the two things seem to go hand in hand.

Regulars of this forum are aware of the extreme problems I had (and still have, to a certain extent) with my father's paranoid delusions about our "evil neighbours" and their "hate campaign" against us (which had absolutely no basis in reality). I don;t think he ever had actual hallucinations, but he most certainly had very powerful delusions which were distressing to all in the extreme and which lead to agressive behavior (which I guess is understandable, if you really believe these things and everyone around you denies them). I'm pretty sure that the consultant's report would have read "very strong psychotic symptoms".

There are medications which can help, the problem may go away or it may not, or may subside, only to sneak up to the surface again.

My best advice is to report it as soon as you can. The longer it goes untreated, the deeper the psychotic beliefs will become ingrained.

We made the foolish mistake of ignoring my father's initial delusions (it all started with an issue about the neighbours thinking water was falling from our gutter onto their path), and like a malignant cancer it just grew and grew from that into neighbours who were sneaking out at night to climb onto our roof to plant weeds to damage our property/posioning our cat/planting listening devices on the walls!

7. ray rooke

ray rooke Registered User

Jul 30, 2008
    vascular arterial dementia

As well as having alzhemiers my wife has also been diagnoised
    whit vascular arterial dementia has anyone else got this

8. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Dear Ray, sorry to read your post. You probably think "one blow on top of another"

We do have several members with a mixed diagnosis of ALZ/VD.

In our case Lionel was diagnosed with Alzheimers when he was just 60. Couple of years later they said he was having mini strokes, hence now a mixed diagnosis.

Unfortunately the outcome eventually is the same.

9. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Registered User

Aug 20, 2006
    Yes, this is called "mixed dementia" which just means that the patient has dementia with more than one cause.

My father has Alzheimers but the consultant thinks that it manifested earlier or was made worse by a stroke he had following a major operation some years ago, she felt that this had advanced the dementia symptoms which otherwise would have presented later although the Alzheimers would have been the anyway.

10. iris2u

iris2u Registered User

Aug 11, 2008
    I think my father has a different form of vascular dementia(lewys bodies)as a result of numerous mini strokes.Vascular dementia is the 2nd most common form of dementia after Alzheimers Disease.