Photos

tipsyshelly

Jun 16, 2019
Hi , I’m very new to this site , I apologise if I’m not in the correct section , hopefully someone can help with that too . My dad was diagnosed years ago with cognitive memory impairment and more recently Alzheimer’s, he is in a care home now , I decided to get everyone who visits him regularly to take a photo with him and I would print them out with the names of everyone in the photos . As an example I too a photo of my dad and his brother ..... I put on the photo “ dad and his brother Billy” , or “ dad and Megan great Granddaughter “ and so on , everyone including the staff thinks they are good but one family member said I should print them like ....” yourself (meaning dad) and brother Billy” .
im just hoping that someone has done a similar project and can offer me some advice , thanks in advance x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum, tipsyshelly. That is a great idea, and can't really see from experience that it matters too much what you write on the photos. My partner speaks of her sister when she means her daughter and brother when she means son regardless of what I tell her. Words get muddled up, but what matters is whether it helps you dad remember who is visiting and it provides some family moments to talk about with him.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Hi Tipsyshelly,

I made a photobook for my OH about five years ago and it is still used. It is a wonderful resource for visitors to look through and helps conversations. I did start the first page with a lovely photo of himself saying "This is me ...." but just labelled all the other photos with names and places. I went through all my photos stored on PC and just had the ones I wanted printed by an online company. Very inexpensive. I mounted the photos on thin card and put them in an A4 folder. I went back as far as possible with photos of OHs parents and first home, our wedding, children, grandchildren, hobbies and holidays. Tried to present an all round picture of him. The book was at his day centre for quite a while and the care workers often commented that they had sat and looked at it with him. It is now with him in his care home.

Even though I did it very simply it took time and organisation but it is something very useful we can do to help our PWD. Well done you. As for your family member perhaps they would like to do their own book - cannot have too much of a good thing.