Photos......an idea....

sparkle

Aug 15, 2007
Spain
After reading a post where photos were mentioned it reminded me of Mums animation when we'd sit and go through some old pictures. Whilst she is very advanced, there are still odd moments where she lights up again. One of these was when I sat and had some old family pictures - although she can't string a sentence together properly now, she can at least chat happily about whos in the pictures - even though she may not be right, it soarks something off for her.

I got married 4 months ago, and because of our location (we live in Spain and parents live in the UK), when the official pictures came through I made a DVD up with them on for Mum and Dad....with some music going on in the background. Theres several different programmes for the PC which are quite simple to use, but the point I am coming to was that it might be an idea for you to scan in some old family pictures and make a DVD up for their loved ones to watch.

It has to be a bit more stimulating than sitting watching tv, as its personal, and nowadays most people have a DVD player rather than a computor.

Kathy

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
but the point I am coming to was that it might be an idea for you to scan in some old family pictures and make a DVD up for their loved ones to watch.

what a good idea , have never tried that have scan loads of old photo in to a lap top, and they is a program in it to do DVD Video , but thought it had to be moving video not photo sounds complicated

PC which are quite simple to use

seeing you have said that , I could give it a go , just got to get the right disk .

she can at least chat happily about whos in the pictures - even though she may not be right, it soarks something off for her.

:) just like my mother .

thanks for sharing that

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
These are great ideas - I do it all the time for family.

Not for Jan unfortunately as she is past the time when she could benefit [blind, etc].

Windows has free tools to do it - Windows movie maker can use still pictures as well. [see screen shot below]

I use other software that enables me to do more fancy stuff, but for starters the free software is great.

One thing to watch - some DVD devices will only write or read certain types of media - either DVD-R or DVD+R - so it is worth checking on compatibility both of the PC writer and the DVD reader that will be used to view the video.

If in doubt just try something... it will probably work.

P.S. I'm sure Macs invented the idea so there will be something on those systems too...

Attachments

• Windows movie maker.jpg
    Windows movie maker.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thanks so much for this info - a great idea. I have been sorting David's old family photos out (he does not want to be bothered). It may stimulate him a little if I do a 'movie' and even if he does not want it, the junior members of the family will benefit.

Can someone just give me more days in the week please?
Beckyjan :eek: :eek:

sparkle

Aug 15, 2007
Spain
BeckyJan said:
Thanks so much for this info - a great idea. I have been sorting David's old family photos out (he does not want to be bothered). It may stimulate him a little if I do a 'movie' and even if he does not want it, the junior members of the family will benefit.

Can someone just give me more days in the week please?
Beckyjan :eek: :eek:

Becky - Yuo'll find you'll be doing them for everyone I bet - we did one for my brother in law and his wife for their wedding aniversary - in a way it only costs your time but is worth a lot more to them than anything you can buy them.

Kathy

sony

Jan 28, 2006
Armagh, Northern Ireland
Just on this topic, there's a brilliant site www.fotobook.co.uk that makes proper leather book bound books filled with your photos, I've made loads of them for family gifts. They probably wouldn't stimulate as much as a DVD but they're nice all the same.
The other thing is www.photobox.co.uk where you can make personalised greeting cards - it was my parents 25th wedding anniversary on Friday and I made some cards on it.....the best thing is 10% of all proceeds goes to the Alzheimer's society!! (This is only applicable of the 'A5 deluxe cards')!!
My two cents!

Sony
xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I done it with Windows movie maker , and went and brought the CD DVD+R , man in PC land tell me to get CD DVD+R , So I brought it took it home then-put it all on disk , then put it in our DVD and it does not work :(

DVD on TV tell me in writing to eject CD because CD does not do play back , but look at the pack that I brought it in and it says it does do play back

So I try it in my Lap top and it only plays in window media , what am I doing wrong :confused: that it won't work on my TV DVD :confused:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
DVD on TV tell me in writing to eject CD because CD does not do play back
that's why I said that DVD-R might be what is needed.

Going to PC World for advice on PCs is like going to a gardening shop for advice on brain surgery. Unfortunately, as a general case, PC World staff are not well versed in using PCs, just as Dixons staff know nothing about cameras. :(

Different DVD player manufacturers have adopted different types of DVD media. Some use DVD +, some use DVD -; some will do both.

My DVD player/recorder that is attached to the TV will only read and write DVD-R.

My second DVD player in the lounge also reads DVD-R

My PC will read and write DVD-R and DVD+R

Try buying a single DVD-R and try that.

Good luck!:)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
OH god all because of a + now I have 25 of them :D lol got to laugh .

12 pounds it cost me

I've use one , wondering now would they exchange it , saying man gave me wrong advice , can only try .

Yes took a look my TV DVD says :eek: CD - COMPATIBLE.

I only go to PC land , because its right across the road to me . at lest I now now where I've gone wrong with your help . thanks a millon for geting back xx

Try buying a single DVD-R and try that.

thanks am going to , but its like a maze in they looking for anything , of I GO

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
you could try exchanging it.

if that doesn't work, use them to back up your computer files. Many people don't back up their computers and all sorts of valuable information can be lost if the hard disk malfunctions.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
they where going to exchange it , but had to queue up where , they fix PC , and only one person on desk and left mum home alone , telling her not to move from chair , also she was tried from day center , so would not get up . so had to leave it , as I was worrying about leaving mum alone to long so am leaving it till tomorrow as they said they can check system , as I pay by card . yes lost receipt

but, so, anyway hate to say this , got CD R - pay at till point , it does still does not work on my TV DVD , still got 2 option as when my daughter get in shall try it on her DVD as she lock her bedroom , other daughter DVD not set up, high up on wall all unplug loads of book on top of it , so not touching it in case it all falls down :D so shall try CD R - on they DVD , as my one is VCR , DVD and could be something wrong with it .

I'm not giving up also if those 2 option do not work , am taking both pack of disk back and they have to sort it out in shop , see if it work on they DVD in shop .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife