Photos aid memory ?

PeterG

Oct 17, 2003
Hertfordshire, UK
Just something I do for Jen is to take lots of photos each time we visit our children/grandchildren/friends etc. I'm fortunate in that I'm quite computer literate (used to be part of my work), and can easily turn the digital snaps into a CD that plays on the DVD player, so we can watch the pictures & the short movies easily on the TV.

So, when I say, "Didn't we have a great time collecting sticks in the forest with the twins", & Jen says, "Did we?", we can look at the picture story on TV and it all seems to come back to her.

Just thought I'd share this with you.

Very best wishes,

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
pictures to aid memory

Dear Peter,
I so agree with what you are doing: I have made up a small photo album for my husband with snapshots of friends / family / recent events, which i refere to every time he questions who or what i am talking about (i am afraid it's not quite as impressive as your digital version!). However, although he usually makes the right noises, I generally feel that the pictures do not quite register with him, and often prompt negative comments such as 'just goes to show how stupid i am that i can't even remember that ....'.
I therefore question whether it is always a good thing to emphasise what's "been lost/forgotten", rather than gloss over it. I recently read a tip that an old, forgotten friend, could be introduced as a new acquaintance, which would be a more positive experience - what do you think?
I would not, of course, include family members and very close friends in this approach!
Best wishes, Carmen

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
pictures to aid memory

Yes, I think it does help to push the buttons on memories, I've done much the same, only in an album, not as clever as you Peter.
Anything that can act as a trigger to things they have done is a bonus. We also do the reminiscence box bit and harp back to how to make a batter, cake, rice pudding etc. Mum always seems to remember the ingredients and quantities and it gives her pleasure if she feels she is contributing to "making it" in this way.
Love,
She,
XX

Sian

Oct 12, 2003
Wales
I hope you don't mind me contributing to this thread as my dad is an elderly person with dementia.
Recently we found an envelope containing photographs, which unknown to us he had put together at some time. On looking through these with him, there was no response whatsoever at the most recent photos, but instant recognition of those taken 50/60 years ago.
Take care
Sian

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband is not a younger person with dementia but I like to look in this forum as he has always seemed so much younger than he actually is! I find photographs and video of our holidays and family events a real help. He is not yet severe and can remember everybody. He does, however, not always remember places. The computer and digi video have been fantastic for helping us re-live our most recent experiences. Evidence appears on the tea room forum!!

Izzy