Photographs

Hotdoggy

Feb 5, 2020
Just briefly......my MIL has Alzheimer’s and resides in a CH. My SIL periodically takes photographs of my MIL who is bedridden and quite frankly, looks awful. My husband (SIL’s brother) finds these images quite distressing - my husband does not speak with his sister due to ‘Contention’ over other matters.....she just seems to do this to cause upset. We are a good distance away from CH. I feel my SIL is NOT acting in my MILs ‘best interests’ keep doing this and just wondered if it should be mentioned to the CH or perhaps The Deputy, now we finally have one. Any thoughts on this matter appreciated

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
he doesnt have to look at them. I guess if she wants to take pics, in good times and bad, thats up to her

Hotdoggy

Feb 5, 2020
he doesnt have to look at them. I guess if she wants to take pics, in good times and bad, thats up to her

That’s all very well, but distributing photos I should have thought was a no-no.....especially as the ‘subject’ is not giving her permission

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
How are the photos being sent to your husband? If he doesn't want to ask his sister to stop sending the photos can't he just block her text's/emails/facebook messages etc so that he stops receiving them?

Not sure how the CH could do anything about a relative taking photos - I regularly take photos of Mum to send to my sister who lives some distance away. I don't consider that I am 'distributing' photos without Mum's permission, just keeping in touch with my sister who likes to know how Mum is. It's different If the care home want to take photos of Mum - they have to ask family's permission first.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
That’s all very well, but distributing photos I should have thought was a no-no.....especially as the ‘subject’ is not giving her permission
Unless the photos are of an intimate nature eg sexual or likely to cause offence such as showing urination, then this is not likely to be distribution. I used to send photos of my mother-in-law in her care home to her daughter via Facebook, no one thought anything about it . You can just block the photos.

Hotdoggy

Feb 5, 2020
How are the photos being sent to your husband? If he doesn't want to ask his sister to stop sending the photos can't he just block her text's/emails/facebook messages etc so that he stops receiving them?

Not sure how the CH could do anything about a relative taking photos - I regularly take photos of Mum to send to my sister who lives some distance away. I don't consider that I am 'distributing' photos without Mum's permission, just keeping in touch with my sister who likes to know how Mum is. It's different If the care home want to take photos of Mum - they have to ask family's permission first.

just by email. I guess the fact that she knows it causes upset gives her some kind of inward pleasure (63 years old). She certainly isn’t doing it out of kindness I can assure you! Thank you anyway

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
just by email. I guess the fact that she knows it causes upset gives her some kind of inward pleasure (63 years old).

In that case the best thing to do is not to react. Just either block her emails or send them straight to the junk/spam folder.

Hotdoggy

Feb 5, 2020
Unless the photos are of an intimate nature eg sexual or likely to cause offence such as showing urination, then this is not likely to be distribution. I used to send photos of my mother-in-law in her care home to her daughter via Facebook, no one thought anything about it . You can just block the photos.

thanks

Hotdoggy

Feb 5, 2020
In that case the best thing to do is not to react. Just either block her emails or send them straight to the junk/spam folder.

my husband doesn’t react ....it’s just the fact she continues to do it and she also sends to our younger daughter even though they don’t speak ...still very irritating though - thank you