phone call from Social services day centre

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It just means when they attack their carers, either physically or sometimes verbally, using unpleasant language.

The factsheet does not recommend using drugs, but says they can be used if necessary. The last bit, 'review the treatment very regularly'

People shouln't be given these strong drugs and just left on then, but they do work in the short term.

Love,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
yes your right about short term . so to keep my mother in day center . I feel that she would have to taken them .

but them at home with me she OK, also in respite care home she also OK, so don't feel she needs them.

Talk to doctor she if he knows anymore on it .

when my older daughter got home who 25 I told her all about it

My daughter was saying that just because someone a nurse for 30 years .12 years working with people with AZ .

Those new drugs for dementia have only just come , in say 10 years time they no more about it , so all those years of experience she had does not give her any more experience to comment if my mother has AZ or not .

if she could diagnose what type of dementia someone has she would be a doctor / consultant Not the Job she in now .

( she said why did I not say all the above to the woman on the phone )

she also said just get a letter from doctor saying my mother has AZ
rather then getting another brain scan .then give it to the both day center . she also ask was the
Alzheimer's Society an exclusive club for people with AZ.

I said I also wonder that so ask every one hear :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I have to revaluate the whole concept of my whole life, also in how I perceive AZ to be while reading fact sheets and books , because my mother on a new experimental drug .

its working amazingly good for her in her recall in memory as the woman in the AZ day centre has pick up on it . but due to lack of her Knowledge on those new drugs she not seeing the bigger picture .

I can only put that down to , because she told me that people she knows that taken it who have AZ , still do not have a good recall of memory like my mother does .

I must ask the doctor if he knows any where they are keep tags of trials for this new drug if I can see them . I imagine in 10 or 20 years time they know more about it .

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
she also said just get a letter from doctor saying my mother has AZ
rather then getting another brain scan .then give it to the both day center .

Maggie, I hate to disagree with your daughter, but honestly, if your mum is developing new problems, it's in everyone's interests to find out what's causing them, and see what the best treatment for it is.

If your mum is becoming aggressive a letter from the GP will not persuade them to keep her at day centre, they have to protect their staff and other patients.

she also ask was the
Alzheimer's Society an exclusive club for people with AZ.

The Alzheimer's Society doesn't just support people with Alzheimer's and their carers. They also look after people with other forms of dementia.

It sounds as if it's your mum's behaviour that is causing the the problems with the day centre, and if you can get this sorted out, they might take her back, no matter what form of dementia she has.

Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Is the day care run by the Alzheimer's Society, because if that's the case, as Hazel points out, the society supports people with all forms of dementia and would not exclude someone simply because the diagnosis wasn't AD. However, some of these day cares are run specifically for a specific type of person. Now frankly, I think to say that "only" people with AD may attend is jolly silly - AD is a disease that is almost impossible to diagnose definitively (except via post mortem), but some groups might try. However if this day care is run by one of the affliliates it might be worthwhile contacting the help line to see what they can do to smooth your path.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Maggie, I hate to disagree with your daughter, but honestly, if your mum is developing new problems, it's in everyone's interests to find out what's causing them, and see what the best treatment for it is.

Oh yes she

totally agrees in talking to doctor about my mother becoming verbally aggressive , but we both know my mother always been very rude . when my mother does not like someone she just tell them, but never swearing at them she say I don't want to talk to you any more . ( That why I don't swear ) or just walk pass them in the street .

Now what ever this disease is doing to my mother its striping her of her social skill , so my daughter said Good at lest she coming back to how she really is , as in Exbiza is not working in the area of control my mother social skill behaviors in public any more.

But still controlling the disease not getting to the area of how she recall memory. OK my mother not hit anyone yet , so of course we are going to talk to doctor . also get my mother out of day centre , because she may one day hit someone , so I know if I leave my mother at the AZ day centre it putting my mother in a pristion of danger as she may hit someone in the future , also the staff because they not understand that my mother delusion fixation she has on a worker .

Its like the staff member said at social services day center . she said that my mother only verbally abusive . now if they no from doctor that my mother does has AZ that is verbally abusive only because she has AZ . they no its not her fault , but its because she has a diseases .

so they won't take her place away .

Now with the AZ day centre I don't know if they can handle that . if they can meet my mother challenging behavior of been verbally abusive, because she has a fixation with a worker .

So I knowing my mother I am going to get her out of they, before the situation gets out of control .

Is the day care run by the Alzheimer's Society, because if that's the case, as Hazel points out, the society supports people with all forms of dementia and would not exclude someone simply because the diagnosis wasn't AD.

yes it is run by the Alzheimer's Society But she saying my mother anger is not down to dementia or the disease. she saying that my mother just doing it on purpose she said my mother must of been always like this .

she could have a point. (I do feel sorry for the staff, my mother does seem a hand full for them )

but I have never seem seen my mother get into a fight or hit someone .

she use to hit my brother and I a lot . but I never saw her hit an adult , oh yes my mother father use to fight a lot .

but that all in the past , so am not holding that against her , she frail now .

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well I'd love to know how she works that out - how on earth can she say what is or is not down to the disease? Particularly as she's been going there for a while. So if it was something that was she'd always had, wouldn't she have been like this the whole time?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Gosh my mother talking to me about the people at the AZ day centre how they look strangely at her laugh at her . talk her her one day , then not the next day .

A man talk to me then he does not .

I try to tell her in a nice way they ill in they mind ,they forget they have spoken to you .

then she go on to say "like me ! " she has never said that to me before .

so I say yes , so you have to be careful that you don't get into an argument with them, end up having a fight.

so if you don't like it any more don't go .

am leaving it like that now till monday when I see doctor .

PS
Well I'd love to know how she works that out - how on earth can she say what is or is not down to the disease? Particularly as she's been going there for a while. So if it was something that was she'd always had, wouldn't she have been like this the whole time?

Thank - you thank - you .

for seeing my point

shall shut up now :)

let you all know how I get on xxx

Thank - you all for putting up with me today xx

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Well, I can't say I'm impressed by that staff. What's the point of nit-picking about what kind of dementia your mother has? Dementia, whatever the cause of type, can bring on all kinds of behaviour, aggression, timidity, constant weeping.

AD and other dementias do cause people to lose their social inhibitions, just the way small children have not learned all of these. Kiddies will have a tantrum - it's just far scarier when it's an adult doing it.

now if they no from doctor that my mother does has AZ that is verbally abusive only because she has AZ . they no its not her fault , but its because she has a diseases .

This is very silly on their part - I just do not understand where they are coming from. Your mother does have a disease.

Write all your points down this weekend for the doctor's appointment on Monday.

Now, sit down and have a glass of wine & relax.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It does sound as if the quiet and obedient cared for, who are content to sit round the walls, looking into the middle of the room are more acceptable than your excitable, full of life mother, Maggie.

They may all have dementia, but there`s dementia and there`s dementia.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
than your excitable, full of life mother, Maggie.

Your so right , oh my mother and her culture of being Spanish so full of life , so expressive talking with her hands , that when she gets anger or up set that they must perceive her hand movement as if she going to thump someone :D,

Livin' La Vida Loca, is my mother lol they should play that music at the day centre and she be up they with Zimmer frame dancing .

No wonder my father stayed married to my mother for 55 years and only his death parted them :) then along come her daughter (me) and give her

Exbixa .

Ebixa tablets and oral drops contain the active ingredient memantine hydrochloride, which is a type of medicine called an NMDA-receptor antagonist. It is used for treating Alzheimer’s disease.

There is increasing evidence that memory loss and dementia in Alzheimer's disease are related to malfunctioning of the signals that pass messages between the nerve cells in the brain. In particular, there is evidence that excessive activity of a natural body chemical called glutamate contributes to the symptoms of Alzheimer’s and the progression of this disease.

Glutamate acts on receptors called NMDA receptors that are found on nerve cells in the brain. These receptors and nerve cells are involved in transmitting nerve messages in the brain that are important in learning and memory. Glutamate can damage the nerve cells by excessively stimulating the NMDA receptors.

Memantine works by blocking the NMDA receptors in the brain. This blocks the excessive activity of glutamate, but still allows the normal activation of these receptors that occurs when the brain forms a memory.

Memantine may therefore improve brain functioning in Alzheimer's disease
, and may also block the glutamate activity that could cause further damage to the brain cells.

Its work so good on not letting the diseases progress in only what little bit she got left of memory recall , so on that presumption I am now told my mother has not got AZ :D

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I tried to get the link Maggie but it seemed to be stuck. :( Will try later when I`ve more time.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Maggie, I can't get it to work either, in fact I can't get into the namenda site at all.

But you don't have to copy-type. Just open a Word document, and copy and paste the bits you want from the site -- if you can still get into it, that is!

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Is this what you're after? I don't think you can actually copy and paste from that site because it's not in a suitable format, so I have typed this out from the subtitles. If it's not what you're after then let me know and I will have another look.

Dr Grossberg said:
As Professor and Director of Geriatric Psychiatry at the Saint Louis University School of Medicine Dr. George T. Grossberg has been a leader in developing mental health programs, treatment and research in geriatrics. Listen as Dr Grossberg discusses the value of caregivers and loved ones keeping a diary to track patient behaviour to share with the doctor.

‘We can, for example, ask the family to keep what I call a behavioural diary where they write down in a diary kind of format what the behaviour was that’s now new, that’s maybe irritating when it occurred, and what happened before and after the behaviour. And you keep that behavioural diary for maybe a couple of weeks and your bring that in to your doctor. He or she can review that and perhaps identify that there may be something in the environment that we modify that can, in fact, improve or eliminate the problem behaviour. And maybe something as simple as the individual maybe needing to be toileted more frequently and they’re now irritable because they need to void. But they can’t tell us. Or it may be something equally as simple that they’re hungry but they can’t tell us they’re hungry. They’re becoming irritable. So having food around or finger foods around all the time might, in fact, significantly improve that behaviour.'

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What a relief thank - you Brenda could kiss you so sending you a kiss xx on each cheek xx

Yes that is just what I needed the whole part , especially this part I need to write down .

And maybe something as simple as the individual maybe needing to be toileted more frequently and they’re now irritable because they need to void. But they can’t tell us. Or it may be something equally as simple that they’re hungry but they can’t tell us they’re hungry. They’re becoming irritable. So having food around or finger foods around all the time might, in fact, significantly improve that behaviour.'

they’re now irritable because they need to void. But they can’t tell us.

So the AZ day center have been keeping notes on my mother behavior , they finding she becoming more irritable . could be just as simple like what they say above .

( but this woman is mind block forwards me , because she say she work with people with AZ longer then I . But she has never seen someone that has had such a positive effect with this type of medication like it has on my mother, still have those symptoms but good memory recall )

He or she can review that and perhaps identify that there may be something in the environment that we modify

also when he say , something in the environment that need to be modify . that what I feel is happing with my mother

I am taking that to my doctor. but it just that telling them at day centre , you know what theirs people are like when you say " Oh I read it on the internet "

Just have to word it a different way , as it is a Namenda site .

Last edited: