1. KathyS

KathyS Registered User

Dec 6, 2015
    My mums phone bills are getting out of hand as she is constantly phoning us< last bill over £500. We are arranging a new plan with BT, but is there any way of reminding her not to make so many calls?

2. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    Hello and welcome to Talking Point.

Reminding probably won't work. If you have an answer machine could you turn it off so that unless you pick up there will be no connection and no call charge.

Of course you could get a more agitated and confused Mum because she cannot contact you. Maybe a laminated A4 sheet next to the phone telling her you are not available to take a call between certain times but this can be moved or ignored.

There probably is not an easy answer to the problem and the constant phoning may well pass and be replaced with yet another annoying and costly behaviour.

3. loveahug

loveahug Registered User

Nov 28, 2012
    Moved to Leicester
    Can you put her on the inclusive calls plan, or is she calling your mobiles? If its mobiles and she has an internet connection then perhaps get her a VOIP phone and load Skype onto your mobiles?

I'm sure there'll be others offering advice but at £500 per month there must be some way around it.

Good luck!

4. beverrino

beverrino Registered User

Jan 12, 2015
    my mum is with Virgin and I had the call plan changed to include all numbers including mobiles as she was constantly making phone calls. I cant imagine a phone bill like that, I think it will be far easier to look at changing tariffs rather than get her to stop making phone calls, in my opinion. Good luck.

5. pseudonym

pseudonym Registered User

Sep 3, 2015
    Not sure if this helps, but I am with Plusnet for phone and broadband. There is a credit limit of £55 or £75. As I'm new I can't post any links, I'll have to explain. As you make calls each reduces the credit. At billing time if you spend, say £20 on calls, your bill for calls is £20 and your credit limit renews. If you reach or go over the limit calls get directed to the Support team, who charge £5.76 to correct. Emergency calls can be made. You have to opt up the credit to carry on making calls (or not I suppose to not do so).