Phone being left off hook

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Little Sister, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Little Sister

Little Sister Registered User

Aug 19, 2015
    My sister has earl-onset Alzheimer's and is in sheltered accommodation. I rang her yesterday on her landline. She picked up the receiver but then put it down off the hook and didn't return to it. I had to phone the emergency number to ask a carer to go up and put it back.
    Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Also, would I be charged for the call?!

Thank you

Jill

2. Sianey

Sianey Registered User

Mar 23, 2015
    Yorkshire
    Phone

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. Mam did it to the upstairs phone and so the downstairs phone wouldn't ring and so I had to ring a friend to go round and the phone was off the receiver, If you've put your phone back at your end you won't be charged.

I witnessed what happens a friend rang Mam while I was there and she just put it down on the table next to the phone and I thought AH! That's what you do then:)

How about a big note near the phone selotaped reminding her put the receiver back in big letters it may work.

Sianey x

3. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Would she be more likely to replace the receiver on an old type phone e.g.
    https://www.pmctelecom.co.uk/retro-vintage-GPO-phone-ivory
    you can get both rotary dialing and push button?

Another thing to try is to get a cheap mobile phone that allows you to program the ringing tone, put in a PAYG SIM (make a chargeable call from it now and again to prevent account clousure), leave it on charge and inaccessible and program the ringing tone to say 'please put your phone back on its rest ( or whatever you think she would understand) as I am trying to ring you'.

4. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Don't most push button phones go back to being "on the hook" when the person on the other end disconnects the call? OH used to not properly end calls because he pressed the wrong button but after a while the line was free again.

5. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    My mother use to do that to me also in those early onset days .
    Mum was still at home with my dad .

Mum use to have one of those phone in the link that nitram/I] left .

It happens to be also when I am stressed out.
    With a mobile land line phone . I have a BT line, land line phone will make a very high pitch noise.
    So I go looking for the noise, realise that i have not press the end button .

6. Pear trees

Pear trees Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    My mum does puts the phone receiver down by the side of the phone frequently. We have tried a mobile with a message but she ignores that. We can't ask neighbours as they will not have anything to do with her. I have to ask my SIL do go in an replace it.
    It's an old fashioned dial phone with proper receiver as mum has not understood anything 'modern' for over thirty years.
    Other people on here have suggested old fashioned types of phone which may help.

7. Bod

Bod Registered User

Aug 30, 2013
    #7 Bod, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    Bolt cutters

Many times I had to go to fathers, because his phone was off the hook. The Operator couldn't hear anything, me being nearest with a car had to go!
    Bolt cutters were kept in the car, along with his spare door keys, he had and used a door chain!
    "Oh what are you doing here?" when he came to the door, me worrying as to what I was going to find...

Bod

8. looviloo

looviloo Registered User

May 3, 2015
    Female
    Cheshire
    You have my sympathy. My dad is slowly losing the ability to use his phone and it leads to a lot of frustration. His latest one was thinking that he had to hold the hand set out in front of him... no wonder we couldn't hear each other! The whole conversation would be along the lines of 'Can you hear me?!'.

9. nov14

nov14 Registered User

May 27, 2014
    Goostrey, Cheshire
    Mum doesn't answer the phone anymore no matter how long I let it ring for.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

10. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    I found a wall mounted corded phone worked better - it was more obvious to Mummy when it wasn't "in the right place".

11. Little Sister

Aug 19, 2015
    Thanks very much, Sianey.

Jill

12. Little Sister

Aug 19, 2015
    Another thing to try is to get a cheap mobile phone that allows you to program the ringing tone, put in a PAYG SIM (make a chargeable call from it now and again to prevent account clousure), leave it on charge and inaccessible and program the ringing tone to say 'please put your phone back on its rest ( or whatever you think she would understand) as I am trying to ring you'.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea. Thank you

Jill

13. Little Sister

Aug 19, 2015
    Thank you

Jill

14. Little Sister

Aug 19, 2015

Thanks v much for your help.

Jill

15. Little Sister

Aug 19, 2015

Thank you

Jill

16. Little Sister

Aug 19, 2015
    It's all so hard! Thank you

Jill

J

17. Little Sister

Aug 19, 2015
    We need so much patience! Thank you,

Jill

18. Little Sister

Aug 19, 2015
    That's worse!
    Thank you.

Jill

19. Little Sister

Aug 19, 2015
    Good idea! Thank you

Jill

20. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    Does the sheltered accommodation not have an intercom system where they can speak to your Mum? But maybe she wouldn't respond to that either?

Hope you find a solution that works
    Best wishes
    Sue