1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. sammyb

sammyb Registered User

Sep 19, 2007
    Nottingham
    I went in trepidation to the hospital this lunchtime half expecting to find they had moved him onto a medical ward so that he could have a drip due to dehydration. Not a bit of it! No longer angry just very 'eyes closed to the world' state but he'd had three weetabix for breakfast with loads of sugar and milk, a bottle of fortisips and, at breaktime this morning, a full glass of milk and none of it thrown. I've been to hell and back during the night worrying and I needn't have. Oh well, there will be a million more times like that I expect. With the heightened state of anxiety which all carers must be in a lot of the time, which goes up but never truly comes back down again, it's a wonder we haven't all got stomach ulcers. Or have we????!!!!!

And I now I have stuck my post icon in the wrong place. Huh! It was supposed to be an eek at the end. Oh well.

Love from Sammyb

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    It`s a bit like when Parents argue because their children have fallen out. Whilst the parents are still arguing, the children have made friends.

Make the most of the good times. :)

3. gill@anchorage5

gill@anchorage5 Registered User

Apr 29, 2007
    Southampton
    Good times & "not so good times"

Hi Sammy

I know how you feel! My Dad is currently in respite care for a couple of weeks. On Tuesday he didn't eat at all for 24 hours and only had about 1/2 a cup of tea during that period. He spent the whole day in a "coma like sleep" and it was heartbreaking trying to get a cup to his lips & watch it dribble out the side of his mouth (no reflex of sucking / swallowing at all.)

Yesterday he perked up a bit & today ate a cooked breakfast (unusual for him, but they offered it and he accepted!) most of his lunch & all of his pudding - plus loads of fluids!

I know what you mean though - we get so worried & never really relax even after a "good day" - because we all fear what tomorrow might bring.

As with all of us - all we can do is appreciate the good times & think ourselves lucky that we still have some.

Wishing you & your family all the best.

Love

Gill x

4. BeckyJan

BeckyJan Registered User

Nov 28, 2005
    Derbyshire
    How I relate to that comment - my husband is wonderful despite his major health problems but the quote identifies much of how I feel.

Best wishes all Jan