Pets as Therapy

B72

Jul 21, 2018
I have yet to meet the live-in carers, but I would expect them to be responsible enough to handle a visit, assuming the dog owner has had some training and experience them self.

In any case, it's something I will need to speak to the care agency about before arranging anything, so I'll see what they say.
As someone who has had PAT dogs, I can tell you that the dog is temperament tested, I can’t remember if the dog owner is DBS checked. In my time, there was no training for the volunteer. It would be hard, you visit many different types of establishment. You learn by experience. Of course things may have changed.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
As someone who has had PAT dogs, I can tell you that the dog is temperament tested, I can’t remember if the dog owner is DBS checked. In my time, there was no training for the volunteer. It would be hard, you visit many different types of establishment. You learn by experience. Of course things may have changed.

On the PAT website they say the owners are not DBS checked, just reference checked. At a care home they are only allowed to visit residents in the communal areas, not in their rooms.

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone finds it in the future.
There doesn't seem to be an organisation in the UK who can organise dog visits to private homes. The closest I found was http://animaldaysout.com/ who suggest they can on their website but didn't seem hopeful when I spoke to them. So I was dreading having to explain that there wouldn't be a dog any time soon.

In the meantime, last weekend there were some other issues which meant I had to organise 4 weeks of respite care in a local home urgently. I've just got her in to a nice place not far away and the best bit is that they have dogs visiting regularly, which my mum is over the moon about and although she was very reticent to consider a home before, I'm wondering whether the promise of regular dog visits will actually change her mind about care homes. She even told me she hated her house the other day, so I wouldn't be surprised if when she comes out she'll be begging me to go back in there permanently.

Funny how things can change so quickly!

ged626red

Jun 10, 2022
Chadderton near Oldham
Can I just ask on this subject has anyone tried contacting boarding kennels or catteries so dogs or cats which have nice temperaments as I thought they may well be willing to do this - or are there health and safety issues

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Can I just ask on this subject has anyone tried contacting boarding kennels or catteries so dogs or cats which have nice temperaments as I thought they may well be willing to do this - or are there health and safety issues
A boarding kennel cares for dogs belonging to other people, so can't see that being a possibility - there would be all sorts of complications should the animal get hurt in some way / escape / or harm a person. Rescue kennels are equally unlikely to offer up their inmates - some will have no known history, which would make it a risk. They simply wouldn't want to risk something happening.

nic001

Sep 23, 2022
Pets as Therapy seems to be the most popular therapy dog service, but it seems they only make visits to care homes and hospitals, not private homes.

Mum would love to have a dog but ownership is impossible so I'm looking into a visiting therapy dog. I know she's likely to confuse a visiting dog with a permanent dog and we'll have some difficult times when it comes for the dog to leave after each visit but I'm sure the benefits will outweigh the difficulties. She really needs things to look forward to now.

Are there any other dementia friendly therapy pet organisations who will visit private homes and are experienced with the challenges of dementia?
Therapy dogs uk maybe a useful contact. Whereabout in the Uk are you?