Pets - a new addition to the family!

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

After my cat [Jeffrey] died over in Bali last month, I have been thinking of getting a kitten for us here. My main concern was that it might wind itself around the oldies legs and cause them to fall. I also thought that it would be very nice to have a pet around the house and give my parents some pleasure.

Anyway, our carer's cat had kittens a couple of months ago and we now have a kitten 'on probation' for a couple of weeks, to see how we all get along. He is a lovely little black tabby and very placid.

Will let you know how my kitten project proceeds.

Jude

Last edited:

JoJo

Sep 25, 2003
Shropshire
Jude

All the best with project KittyKat. I am a huge advocate of pets as therapy. We have always had animals. I currently have two cats and a dog and my parents have two cats

My dad has Alz and lesser known Picks Disease and dotes on his two 'babies'. As my mum - Susie who posts on here - is away at the moment and we are operating a very watching brief he is delighted to have two someones to talk to who won't talk back!!

My dog - a fairly recent addition to the family - has also been a huge hit with my dad. With his propensity to sit and brood the dog is a great excuse to get him out for a walk and I think he looks forward to seeing her as much as he does his grandchildren. In fact we are off to walk to dog tomorrow to get him some exercise and fresh air.

So I am sure Kitten will be a huge hit!

All the best

Jo

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Operation 'Ollie'

Dear Jo,

After a quiet day yesterday, of mainly sleeping, the kitten has bounced into life and is proving hilarious. He is incredibly affectionate and Mum is enjoying him sitting on her lap and laughing at his funny antics and facial expressions. Hence the name Ollie - he is very definitely slapstick material.

I am ensuring that he doesn't get underfoot and only limited 'playtime' with the oldies. The rest of the time he spends hanging round my neck and following me around on an invisible lead. He also displays a willingness to learn to type...

jude

JoJo

Sep 25, 2003
Shropshire
Jude

Glad to hear Operation Ollie is going well and he is settling in. Any chance of a pic with your new found computer skills - I'm a sucker for a cute kitten pic!

Jo

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Jo,

The carers have a digital camera, so I'll see what we can come up with shortly.

This is one cool cat here.... he has already been out in the car and for a walk with us all this afternoon. He seems pretty bomb proof and has a prodigious appetite, having despatched the better part of half a chicken so far..... Tomorrow morning will see a visit to the Vet for vaccinations.

I am so used to Bali cats that whinge all the time, being Siamese/Burmese. This one hardly makes a sound - just hangs out....

Jude

Last edited:

JoJo

Sep 25, 2003
Shropshire
Jude

Seems you got yourself a cat then!!! I am sure Ollie is currently no 1 topic of conversation in your house.

Had a lovely walk with Dad today in woods near his home with the dog and then he came here (bringing his washing!!!) before being taken home to await a phonecall from my mother - who emailed this morning from America to say she has got the wanderlust bug!

Dad seems to be coping very well on his own - tho we have given him a schedule of military precision!! He has written himself a list of 'reasons not to mope' and reminds himself every now and again of the pluses of mum being away. My brother and I are taking it in turns to see him everyday and fingers crossed, we should have a successful two weeks. Thankfully they live in a small village where most know Dad and his illness so we have a good support network along with the CPN and a carer.

Mum seemed very relaxed in her email and I hope that if all goes well we will be able to arrange a break for her every year while we can.

In fact she said she will be saving for Bali next. I may have to wangle myself a place on the trip!

Jo

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Jo,

Ollie was definitely not impressed with his Vet's visit! He had stuff squirted into his eyes, a vaccination jab and full checkup. Also a dose of worm syrup on his breakfast. He is currently sulking on the lounge. £35 later and I feel like sulking too....

I am seriously sad and depressed this morning over the early news of the bombing of the Oz Embassy in Jakarta. Oh God, not AGAIN...!! Having been around during the Bali bombing, I just don't want to go in to my head and visualise the trauma over there this morning.

The travel bans have only just been raised. I doubt we will get any tourists coming to Bali in the foreseeable future and I am very concerned that I won't be able to keep Flamboyant running for too much longer without any guests. We've been sailing very close to the wind since 2002. I've got 7 staff and if we had to close down, then they and all their families would be on the poverty line.

More stuff to worry about.

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Dear all
you will recall that our cat "Kitty" had to be put down some 9 weeks ago now.
I am still being driven mad with being asked "where is the cat"
"Have you fed the cat"?
Each time I have to explain She had a heart murmur,an enlarged heart and she had gone blind.
I am a coward and cannot risk another animal,I know who would end up looking after it!!
Godd luck with you'rs Jude
Norman

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
An Ollie Update

Dear All,

Young Ollie has very firmly weasled his way into my parents' affections. The only time that he is evicted from laps is at meal times [theirs].

He's a smart cookie, this kitten. So very gentle with my parents and very conscious of not getting underfoot with them. I, however, am covered with scratches and constantly being tripped up.

Haven't had any luck with digital cameras. I have got an ordinary film and have taken some photos, which I hope to post shortly.

Jude

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti