Petition for people with dementia of all ages who receive either Attendance Allowance or PIP/DLA

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
I have launched a new government petition for people with dementia of all ages who receive either Attendance Allowance or PIP/DLA asking the government to backdate both Council Tax Discount and Council Tax Exemption to the date the GP states they started with dementia. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/614616
I do not know if you think it would help your argument to point out that at least one County Council (mine - Carmarthenshire, Wales) already has the following wording on the claim form:
"A council Tax exemption/reduction may be backdated to the point of diagnosis. For the purposes of this form, please enter the first point at which you would consider the patient to be SMI."

Sorry, I posted this before realising that the issue has already been addressed by earlier posts (I'm new here and still struggling to get to grips with the way it works!)

Last edited:

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
I do not know if you think it would help your argument to point out that at least one County Council (mine - Carmarthenshire, Wales) already has the following wording on the claim form:
"A council Tax exemption/reduction may be backdated to the point of diagnosis. For the purposes of this form, please enter the first point at which you would consider the patient to be SMI."

Sorry, I posted this before realising that the issue has already been addressed by earlier posts (I'm new here and still struggling to get to grips with the way it works!)
Yes Pejic some 127 out of 382 Councils already backdate to the date of GP certification. My petitions have ben to get the remaining 255 councils to do the same. I have since managed to get our MP, Rishi Sunak to present a petition directly into parliament.
I could really do with everyone's help. I have managed to get my petition to get council tax discount backdated to the date of GP certification into parliament. It was recorded in Hansard on 16th June.
With the Summer recess it is unlikely that there will be any response before 5th September.
In the mean time I need as many people as possible to contact their MP to ask them to support the petition.
To add to that, the issue of council tax is devolved to the parliaments of Scotland and Wales so the petition also needs support from MSPs and MSs.

Please write to your MP and MSP or MS, asking for their support for the petition https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...22061653000009/CouncilTaxDiscountsForDementia by writing to them using https://www.writetothem.com/

Parliamentary protocol dictates that MPs, MSPs and MSs will only read emails from people living within their constituency so you need to include your address and postcode.​

Last edited:

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
Better to use the word, “diagnosed.”
Hi Agzy. You do not need a formal diagnosis when applying for either Attendance Allowance or Council Tax SMI discount. I appreciate what you are saying but a GP has to certify when they believe the person was first Severely Mentally Impaired and they have a set of criteria laid down that they have to meet.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
a GP has to certify when they believe the person was first Severely Mentally Impaired and they have a set of criteria laid down that they have to meet.
Do you know what these criteria are? OH receives DLA, but does not have a diagnosis and I dont know if he would be eligible

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Do you know what these criteria are?
The doctor has to sign that the patient ' has a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused) which appears to be permanent.'
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/14/schedule/1/crossheading/the-severely-mentally-impaired .

It's up to the doctor to interpret and decide.
Being unable to follow a fast moving conversation could be a severe impairment of social functioning.
Have a talk with GP (maybe currently not easy) and see if they would sign.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you @nitram
Its somewhat subjective though and OH has a terrific Host Mode. Without a diagnosis (and the GP thinking I am exaggerating), I doubt he would get it - particularly as someone (I dont know who) recently suggested to the GP that it might be helpful for OH to be referred to the memory clinic, the practice nurse did his MMSE (which he still aced) and the GP rung and told me cheerfully that there was no sign of any dementia (sigh)

Browny10

Dec 20, 2019
I have petition the English and the Scottish Parliaments to backdate council tax discounts for people with dementia to the date of GP certification. Can anyone living in Wales with the passion and determination help me petition the Welsh parliament? I have prepared the wording.