Pet Scan Says

Nimbus1

Apr 10, 2021
USA
My Pet Scan Says the Pattern is NOT Consistent with Alzheimer's ? I would really appreciate if anyone has any thoughts on here. I would really appreciate it. I have been clinically diagnosed with Dementia as I have asymmetrical hippocampal volume loss and subtle temporoparietal volume loss. But, whatever I have, I have had to quit my job as I realized I could no longer do my financials or budgets at work and recently, had to get on disability. My Pet Scan did show moderate bitemporal hypometabolism? I look forward to your thoughts?

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Nimbus1, and welcome to the forum

I don't think anyone here would be qualified to interpret your scan results as it's always best to leave that to your personal medics.

What I can say is that when my wife had a PET scan done her results were somewhat similar and her Consultant told me that the medic interpreting the scan always set a very high standard before he/she would be definitive about dementia but that, as he had a full history and various other test results, he himself, didn't have a difficulty in making the diagnosis of.

You may find the Publications List that is attached to the forum, and covers all aspects of dementia, to be of some interest to you. If you want to take a look just click the following link. I wish you strength and the very best of luck. Please keep posting for support.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Nimbus 1 various agencies will call it Dementia

Don’t worry I 've been living with FTD / dementia for 22 years first diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 1999 2003 after a PET scan FTD had another SPECT scan 2004 no change however I did continue working for 8 years until my retirement aged 65 for two reasons (first) I couldn’t afford to stop working (second) didn’t want disability benefit because I knew if I a person on disability benefits because of FTD / dementia wouldn’t stand any chance of Keep their Driving Licence ( ps I'm stiil diving after 22 years this July from diagnoses :))

Memory loss tends to be a more prominent symptom in early Alzheimer's than in early FTD, although advanced FTD often causes memory loss in addition to its more characteristic effects on behavior and language.

Frontotemporal dementia (FTD), a common cause of dementia, is a group of disorders that occur when nerve cells in the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain are lost. This causes the lobes to shrink. FTD can affect behavior, personality, language, and movement.