Pet expenses

sjg610

Nov 18, 2015
My mum has dementia and went onto a care home 6 months ago. After being unable to rehome her cat, I had to take it on myself. The cat is on life-long medication and the vet is now recommending special food too, all of which costs money.
I have Power of Attorney and Mum's house has just been sold, so she is paying her own care home fees until her savings reach the level at which the council will take over payment, which will be several years' time.
Is it reasonable to expect Mum to pay for her cat's upkeep or at least contribute towards it? It was not my choice to acquire an expensive cat, but the only other options were to put it permanently into a cattery or to have it put down. At least this way Mum gets to still visit her cat.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
'At least this way Mum gets to still visit her cat.'

I think this is the crux of the question.
Funds should only be spent in your Mum's best interests and pet therapy for people with dementia is widely acknowledged to be beneficial. Do a Google on dementia pet therapy to find out more.

How reasonable the actual expenditure is depends on how much it is compared to other activities that would enhance her quality of life.

woodbrooklabs

Aug 17, 2015
I think if your mum was at home she would do everything she could to help her cat. I would be reasonable and in your mums best interests to pay to treat her cat. Obviously the quality of life of the cat needs to be taken into account. But if the medication and food is keeping the cat in reasonable condition and the cat is still happy, then I would think you would be doing the right thing. As you say, your mum I'm sure loves the cat and visiting. Cats are proven to reduce stress and people with cats/dogs live longer.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
My mum has dementia and went onto a care home 6 months ago. After being unable to rehome her cat, I had to take it on myself. The cat is on life-long medication and the vet is now recommending special food too, all of which costs money.
I have Power of Attorney and Mum's house has just been sold, so she is paying her own care home fees until her savings reach the level at which the council will take over payment, which will be several years' time.
Is it reasonable to expect Mum to pay for her cat's upkeep or at least contribute towards it? It was not my choice to acquire an expensive cat, but the only other options were to put it permanently into a cattery or to have it put down. At least this way Mum gets to still visit her cat.

Definitely but there are charities that will help you if you explain the situation. I think it is really lovely of you to have kept the cat for your mum. We are cat lovers and i would be devastated if anyone had my cats put down xxx
Have a look here https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
As someone who has just lost a cat who needed medication twice daily for heart disease and special food for kidney disease, I know how expensive it can be, but I am pretty sure as a cat owner your Mum would have spent the money on her pets medical needs were she able to make the decision herself, so of course it would be OK for you to do so. I also think you have done a good thing keeping a cat you don't really want and allowing your Mum the pleasure of continuing to enjoy it and visit it. Use your Mum's money or the pdsa service and congratulate your self on being a good daughter.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Even though you have taken on the responsibility its still mum's cat and is probably comforting her knowing the cat is with you.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
I have two cats with kidney disease and with the cost of special diet food, regular visits to the vets for blood/urine tests/meds plus insurance means I am paying out well over a hundred pounds a month so I don't think it is unreasonable at all to claim the money back for your Mum's cat as the costs are considerable.

FYI if you do start buying medicated foods, don't buy from the vets as they tend to be more expensive. There are lots of reputable websites which I use such as VioVet, Petmeds or MedicAnimal that sell the food a lot cheaper in bulk and you will often get special offers on them. Every little helps! :)

sjg610

Nov 18, 2015
Thank you all so much for your support and advice. Mum's cat is doing fine on the medication and I bring Mum to visit her regularly, which she loves. That's the important thing in all of this. I'll try not to feel guilty about paying for some of the expenses with Mum's money. My daughter is currently unable to work due to ill health, so this will make it easier to help her out financially till she's back on her feet. I'm so grateful for your help.

Tubbsy

Sep 5, 2010
Surrey
My mum has a dog who has special food from the vet and is on medication and I know for a fact that if I had to take him on if she goes into hospital/a home, she would want to keep paying for him and also that that is most certainly what I would expect to do....I can't afford it and he's been her life for the last 12 years.