Pesticides & demenia

kennyuk

Nov 18, 2006
This may sound silly, but it's been bothering me.

I remember reading about there may be a link between pesticide use, & dementia.
A few months ago we had a problem with ants, and I used quite a lot of insect power in the house to deal with them. Could this have anything to do with advancing or causing my dad's dementia ?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I doubt it. Most of the studies (well all that I have read, but there may be exceptions) indicate that you would require long-term exposure - the sort of exposure from working day in, day out exposed to these substances, over many years. Furthermore, a commercial product designed for home use is unlikely to have such a major effect. Most ant "poisons" are bait with a chemical (borax) that the ants take back to their nests which then contaminates their food supply.

I really do understand the desire to find some outside reason for all this, even if it turned out the outside reason was your fault, but I do think it is fruitless. I've done it myself with other health issues, but it does no good - things are what they are, and no amount of analysing is going to change them.

Jennifer
P.S. If you want a sure-fire, relatively non-toxic way to kill ants, mix equal parts of sugar and borax with some water, or if they're protein feeders, tuna and borax, put small amounts where they enter the house (away from animals please) and that'll not only kill the ants that come in, it will kill the nests as well. I have a LOT of experience with ants (unfortunately). They may be god's creatures, and thoroughly admirable, but NOT when they're crawling on my counter tops (and walls, and ceilings, and BEDS).

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Will the wonders of TP ever cease! Here am I, browsing through the posts, and lo and behold, I find I`m being offered a solution to my worst nightmare; our annual plague of ANTS.
I`ve tried everything, but NOT sugar and borax, or tuna and borax. Thank you, thank you Jennifer. I can`t wait for next summer when these pests darken my doorstep again.
Sylvia

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother was convinced her illness was caused by an incident involving flea powder, about 5 years before her death.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Kenny

Just a line to reassure you that I didn't think your concern was silly, or even unusual. Not because I think the ant powder would have harmed your Dad or made his condition get worse, but because we (carers) often try to search out or rationalise what might cause this awful disease. It's a natural reaction to a horrible situation.

I think you will find that most garden & greenhouse pesticides sold 'over the counter' in this country & the US are thoroughly tested and passed as safe when used as per the instructions, so don't build up a Guilt Monster to sit on your shoulder about it. He bothers all of us, just because we ALL feel that we ought to be able to 'make everything all right again' for our loved ones. Again, it's a natural - but misguided - reaction to the stress & worry we all go through. Try to resist him, he's a very negative & discouraging influence when you are already doing the best you can.

Best wishes

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Also ask yourself if your father had high cholesterol , high blood pursuer , diabetics , drank a lot over the years , heart attack , stroke , as all this can also lead to dementia If not treated or not taking the medication regularly

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Of course my mother may already have had the beginnings of the dementia, and that was why she went mad with the flea powder and didn't use it as per instructions.

We'll never know.