Husband refusing to follow corona virus rules

MrsA

Mar 28, 2020
I'm at my wits end. Husband refusing to follow corona virus rules and keeps going out to our banks and I fear for their staff. If I try to explain to him why he can't go out and that my health is also at risk, he gets aggressive with me. 2 days ago he raised his fists at me with such hate in his face. He started to aim punches at my ribs. I defended myself and he fell backwards. He is 82 and I am 76. Never ever have had treatment like this in our 59 year marriage. I'm scared. He's refused to go to referral appointments and now his home referral visit in April has been cancelled til further notice cos of virus.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @MrsA and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to read that things are so bad for you. You are clearly scared and very vulnerable. If you have a social worker contact I think it would be an idea to phone them and let them know the situation. Explain very clearly that you are at risk, and so is your husband.

If you find yourself facing physical aggression please try to distance yourself - preferably in a room which you can lock and telephone the police.

I'm glad you have found the forum. Please keep posting.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @MrsA and welcome to DTP from me also
I’m sorry that you find yourself in such difficult circumstances good advice from @Izzy
also Make sure your phone is with you at all times and is charged
the forum is a friendly and supportive place to ask for advice please now you have found us continue to post

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Welcome to the forum @MrsA ,

These are very trying times, both for those who have dementia and those who care for them.

I can only reiterate @Izzy's advice to distance yourself in a separate room (preferably lockable) if you are under direct physical threat and to contact the police. My husband was a lovely, gentle soul but on two occasions I needed to get outside help when he turned aggressive towards me. It is also important to have access to a phone (I always kept a mobile with me, just in case).

Definitely make sure your social worker is aware of developments if you have one - and reiterate that you are both at risk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet