Persuading mum to take coronavirus seriously

SparkleBill

Mar 18, 2020
Hi everyone
My mum has FTD and currently lives independently. She doesn’t really understand what’s going on with coronavirus and is carrying on as normal - wanting to go to cafes and restaurants, use public transport etc.
My sister and I are trying to persuade/explain that this isn’t prudent but she is being very stubborn!
I don’t want to stop her leaving the house entirely as her groups have been cancelled for the time being, and I am concerned about her becoming isolated. But has anyone got any hints on how to explain the virus and how to stay safe?

FfionHaf

Mar 18, 2020
We’re in exactly the same position with our mum! I empathise.

My only suggestion is that Age Cymru have offered to make phone contact with mum to check on her and so she has someone different to talk to other than me and my siblings. We find if someone else explains something to her she is less likely to brush it off.

SparkleBill

Mar 18, 2020
Thank you, that’s a good idea. I’ve already rallied the troops (cousins and family friends) to check in with her so she’s not too isolated. I will ask her care coordinator if there’s something in her area similar to Age Cymru. Hope your mum stays well.

SparkleBill

Mar 18, 2020
I’m so sorry to hear that MrsA, this is such a difficult time and it must be especially trying for you given your circumstances. Please keep in contact over the forum, I can’t personally give any advice but always here to listen. Take care of yourself xxx