Persuading a person to go to their GP for tests

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I know I managed this with my mum somehow & said that these were tests that needed to be done as standard due to her age & luckily she took to them. She actually never knew she had dementia at any point & I was careful not to mention the fact that she did but she did have other health issues, lots of them.
My issue is my future FIL is showing a lot of signs of dementia, he is in his 70’s & my future MIL has seen signs of more deterioration & that he is very forgetful & repetitive. She is very concerned now about his driving & that he should really give up his licence as he is a danger to himself & to others. She hasn’t broached the subject herself & it may fall to my partner to have the conversation with him about getting himself checked out with his GP.
Obviously I know how horrible this is but I am wondering if any members have tips that they used to get their loved one to the GP for tests.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I went to see out GP in confidence and told him of my concerns. He didn`t break patient confidentiality but he did listen and asked my husband to make an appointment for a diabetic check.

Your future FIL could be invited for an age related check up or something similar once your future MIL has made the GP aware of her concerns.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I went to see out GP in confidence and told him of my concerns. He didn`t break patient confidentiality but he did listen and asked my husband to make an appointment for a diabetic check.

Your future FIL could be invited for an age related check up or something similar once your future MIL has made the GP aware of her concerns.
Thank you I think that sounds like it is the best idea all round first of all for her to talk to their GP & raise concerns & then blood tests etc can be arranged. It could even be under the guise of keeping his heart healthy. I’ll talk to my partner about it in any case.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Probably a bit late but when I was trying to get Mum to go to the GP I wrote to her GP a very long and detailed letter as to what was happening and my worries etc. Mum was then called in for a tablet review and her GP slipped it in that the practice was in the process of checking all patients over 80, she failed the initial test and things moved on from there. Good Luck