Personal needs with immobility

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am really getting concerned about my husband's immobility. He is just too stubborn at present to go into a wheelchair but it is obvious that it will be essential soon. I have a nightmare about how to cope with personal needs when this happens. I think he will cope with either he or me washing him. How does he have a shower? How does he cope with a wee and the other? What if I am not around when nature calls? I am sure there are many many people out there coping with this but I am finding it hard to come to terms with. Help please!! Beckyjan.

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
husband's immobility.

how bad is it now ?

My mother uses a Zimmer frame to help her walk around the house , last few mouths have been thinking of getting mum a wheelchair, the rubbers on mum Zimmer frame is wearing down so I finely got the OT to come around today to put more rubbers on mum Zimmer frame .

I was talking to him about wheelchair his advice was not to get mum a wheelchairs yet as she can still walk with a Zimmer frame as then she will get use to it (wheelchair) her muscle in her leg will get weaker and she won’t be able to walk at all.

I did buy mum one of those trolley with 4 wheels & a seat to sit on when she gets tried that mum come push around when she go out side , of course she still needs me beside her when she pushing it & he show me and mum the right way to push it bending the arms .

I know it would make my life much easier with a wheelchair as mum coordination is all over the place when I take her out with the trolley( not sure if that the right name ) but it helps her keep more mobile , till the day she can not walk anymore & that’s a long way of yet and I hope it is for your husband .

When my mum balance was not very good and had to use my arm all the time , she relaxingly use a walking stick , but could not get the hang of it then 6mouths later it got worse then at a respite they gave her a Zimmer frame that she did not mind using and they let her keep it .

I was my mother walking stick (my arm) or my brother for around 2half years till she got walking stick. Mum can not walk out side alone, but at lest she can still walk now with Zimmer frame inside and trolley out side.

So wheelchair now am not going to get it until mum can not walk anymore .

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
husband's immobility

thanks for your reply. David would sounds to be at the same stage as your Mum. He has fallen alot which resulted in a zimmer frame for upstairs and one for downstairs. It slows him down but at least he seems safer. The trouble is - his legs are getting weaker and weaker and tend to 'give way' - that is why I believe a wheelchair is inevitable within the next few weeks/months. He only has a walking stick outside but he does resist walking far - tends to sit in the car whilst I nip around doing necessary errands etc. I feel a wheelchair would enable us to 'do' more.

We already have a wheelchair in the garage on permanent loan should we need one! (We helped build our local hospice and they have kindly lent this to us).

Its the personal care bit that worries me when the time comes - immobility must make that side of things much more difficult. I am testing TP as I am sure someone out there can put my mind at rest - obviously we will cope as we have to - but it would be good to hear how people manage. Surely one of the services give advice on this but I am not sure which one.

Thanks a lot - it sounds as if you have your hands full with your Mum and you must be doing a wonderful job.
Best wishes Beckyjan

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
My friend's husband had a stroke, and he is now in a wheelchair and in a nursing home. He has a special bottle to use(independently) when he wants to do a wee, and I presume he would also need to use a commode or specially adapted toilet, with hand rails.
It is possible to get walk-in showers with a seat to make washing easier. I think a nurse or social worker would give advice on the best things to use, but there are catalogues available from care agencies.
My Mum had a raised toilet seat to use on a standard toilet, which meant she didn't have to sit down too low and she could get up more easily. An occupational therapist ordered it for her and she found it helped a lot.
Kayla

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27