Personal Hygiene

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
It certainly is a very common problem! It was sometime early last year that I noticed mum wasn't having baths or changing her clothes, she has always preferred a bath to a shower. If someone had told me a few years ago that mum would stop washing and taking care of her personal hygiene, I would have laughed as she was so fastidious before she became unwell. I used to run the bath and get everything setup for mum once a week and make sure she changed her clothes, ideally it should be more but it was better than nothing.

Following a big argument one Sunday where she insisted that "People these days are obsessed with taking baths and showers and constantly changing their clothes!", I've had to hand that task over to the carers now. I was finding it such hard work to the point I was dreading Sunday mornings and the bath which was starting to take up to two hours with all the faffing about she would do. I would get her ready and in the bathroom so that she could do what she needed to do and the door would open a minute later - "I need my slippers. I need to tie my hair back so it doesn't get wet". Luckily she is still very sociable and pleasant and accepts the carers and sees them as friends and someone to have a laugh and a chat with. The latest thing is sleeping with her trousers underneath her nightdress. I do find it very difficult as her son having to have some of the conversations I have with her.

Wow @Rob_E , that must be so hard but looks like you have been doing an amazing job so far. So far, my mum loves having a bath most nights and hopefully that will continue as I have just ordered a 5k walk-in bath for her! x

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Thankyou @Cazzita, I think like all of us I'm just trying to make the best I can of a situation that is unpleasant and frustrating for both mum and myself while holding down a full time job. The first symptoms started to appear over 10 years ago when mum was 60, so it's been a long time, though it's only been over the past few years that it has reached a stage where she can't look after herself or the house.

Yes indeed, it is a tough job and none of us want it! So sad that it has gone on for 10 years and now she can't look after herself, they are so vulnerable aren't they?
Take care and look after yourself too :)

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan