1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Tell us what you think of Talking Point in our Annual Survey - We rely on your feedback to tell us if we're meeting your needs and how we can improve.

So please tell us what you think about Talking Point. You could win a £20 high street voucher for sharing your feedback.

Click here to complete the survey.

Personal Health Budget

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by John"s Daughter, Jan 12, 2018.

1. John"s Daughter

John"s Daughter Registered User

Jan 7, 2016
    We look after ny dad in his own home with the help of a fantastic live in carer. Dad is 95 has vascular dementia and is deteriorating. He is immobile, is on puréed foods, has seizures and hallucinations and has swallowing difficulties etc etc, He has little cognition. Because it has been getting harder to look after him, particularly as his condition fluctuates we applied for NHS funding. We have been told that it has been approved and I am waiting for the letter. Our carer is fundamental to dad’s well being and so I am going to be requesting a personal health budget so that we can keep her but buy in more help as and when needed. I’ve been looking this up on-line but wondered if anyone on here had had a personal health budget and could give me some pointers about how they got on with it. For example did you get someone to help you set up a care plan, if so who did you use etc. Many thanks.

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    I thought you had to be getting CHC or eligible for it at least before you could get a PHB, is he getting CHC?
    K

3. John"s Daughter

John"s Daughter Registered User

Jan 7, 2016
    Yes that’s what I meant by NHS funding. He has been approved for it and I am waiting for the letter.