Personal carer

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Does anyone know how I would go about finding an individual person (rather than a company) from my local area to provide personal care in the home for my mam?

Unfortunately dad is becoming a little bit disillusioned with the firm he employs via direct payments. He has said that what he would really, really like is to employ one individual, a mature, experienced lady, to come in and do mam's personal care (probably for one hour a day) so that they could get to know one another and build up a trusting relationship etc.

I know there would be drawbacks to this arrangements (no cover for holiday or sickness etc) but dad would be prepared to accept these. He's asked me to look into the possibility for him, if I can.

I thought one thing I could do would be to ring our local branch of the AS to see if they know of anyone. We also have a dementia advisory service that I could ring.

Apart from dad advertising for a person, I don't know what else to do.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

LindaPP

Sep 28, 2012
Gloucestershire
Networks and word of mouth

I can fully understand why your Dad may want this arrangement - but you do need to talk to knowledgable organisations about any pitfalls you may face.

If you do decide to go ahead then I have found word of mouth and personal recommendations are often a good idea in this sort of situation. Use your networks including friends and family, carer groups and local churches. You can always take up references and ask for CRB checks to be carried out.

Have you looked into the availability of agencies who will find someone for you rather than buying the service from the agency? This may help you avoid some of the pitfalls and give some assurances.

Good luck with finding support which meets your family's needs - that's what we should all be aiming for.

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Coming in from a different direction to this one; hope you follow the principal.

OH is an ex retirement complex manager.

If he was still in the job and you lived nearby, I would say, just give my OH a phone call.

He saw an array of carers come and go. The residents were not backwards at expressing their opinion of different carers.

If you could somehow target the local wardens/managers, I am sure most of them would be willing to help; they are generally a very understanding bunch.

Apologies if the idea sounds a bit wacky......... I have these mad moments !