personal care

anne-marie

Aug 18, 2012
Staffordshire
I have been sole carer for my mum for the past two years and we have had our ups and downs as everyone on here can well imagine ! On the whole we have manged ok but recently I have noticed that Mum's personal care routine is diminishing, I have been very lucky in the past in this respect, the only thing she really needed help with was washing her hair. Anyone got any tips on dealing with this problem in a subtle way as she will be very quick to take offence on such a personal issue. I know that this is a minor problem compared to most on here and I apologise for that but anything that makes life a bit easier I would appreciate as it is just her and me 24/7 :)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Facing the hard facts

My beloved mother also took great offence when I tackled these subjects and she did not have dementia but was housebound for many years. I took her annoyance on the chin metaphorically speaking and said" Mum, I am your daughter and I care about you and I have to say what other people will not". I then laid it on the line about the necessity for proper washing and dealing with the smell of urine.

What was harder to deal with were the well meaning people who kept assuring her everything was fine!

anne-marie

Aug 18, 2012
Staffordshire
My beloved mother also took great offence when I tackled these subjects and she did not have dementia but was housebound for many years. I took her annoyance on the chin metaphorically speaking and said" Mum, I am your daughter and I care about you and I have to say what other people will not". I then laid it on the line about the necessity for proper washing and dealing with the smell of urine.

What was harder to deal with were the well meaning people who kept assuring her everything was fine!

Have the opposite problem when one of my siblings calls (on a VERY rare occasion) she is very quick to point out any 'problems' like Mum is wearing a soiled pinny when it has been clean on that morning. Very tempted to say 'if you can do better ...... ' or words to that effect.
My mum seems to be having problems flushing the loo, despite me having a plumber in to check there was nothing actually wrong with it, I get through copious amounts of bleach, it's practically my new perfume !

Terri257

Jan 6, 2014
My mum doesn't shower every day and has the wash at the sink. What I have noticed is that when she showers or takes a bath she is absolutely exhausted and hardly has the energy to get dressed after.

My mum likes a bath so I will run it for her with bubble bath in. I also put out some clothes in the bathroom so she doesn't have to go through looking for something to wear. Sometimes she doesn't wear what I put out and puts something else on. But she is also exhausted so a nice cup of tea and she's out like a light sitting on the settee.

My mum likes getting her nails done so she is quite happy. I don't remember the last time she did any laundry and she doesn't put anything in the basket as she has only worn it once! When I visit I gather up everything and do the laundry. I am sure some of it hasn't been worn at all but it's hard to tell so I just do the lot.

Perhaps it is just the simple task of showering or bathing that is getting too much to do daily for your mum. Perhaps you could coax her with the offer of some pampering like doing her hair, her nails or putting on the body lotion, a massage etc. This can also be very relaxing and calming. My mum likes the pampering a lot and these are some of the happy moments we get together which are the ones I hope to be able to look back on in the future.

There are the odd days when mum stays in her dressing gown. Provided it's not too regular and every day, I'm happy if she's happy. We have had rails put on the bath and
next to the shower for her to hold onto when she is there for reassurance. She needs them.

With dementia she will deteriorate over time and not manage the things she used to but just old age will be taking it's toll as well and perhaps she knows a shower or bath will tire her out. Her sense of smell won't be as good now and she wouldn't be aware if there was a slight odour. It hasn't reached that stage though.

If your mum isn't too energetic though she won't be breaking into a sweat which will help.

Mum is very stubborn and takes exception to us doing lists of things. We need to so if my sister's or brother has been in we know what needs doing and what's outstanding. Mum doesn't follow the sequence and resents finding any accounts or anything as she feels she is losing her control. She often says she feels useless. I try to reassura her by telling her she deserves a bit of help after all she has done for us. I know this lack of control issue is a reason she doesn't take advice so I try not to give it because if something is fixed in her head it will only annoy her when given and then the advice will be instantly forgotten but she will remain unsettled and not knowing why.

I have heard from others that small changes such as a bath mat can make a huge difference to people wanting to get in and out. It might appear as a hole or something unsafe to them but they won't say. If you have one try taking it away when she goes into the bath/shower and put it back for her to get out and see what happens. If she has sight of a mirror whilst in the shower/bath try changing the position slightly. If you haven't got hand rails there try putting a couple in. Trial and error I'm afraid and just when you think you've cracked it, it all changes again.

Hope you find a solution.

Lottie134

Jun 8, 2013
MIL was the same. The only way I could get her to shower was to promise her a trip out afterwards. Worked every time. :)

anne-marie

Aug 18, 2012
Staffordshire
My mum doesn't shower every day and has the wash at the sink. What I have noticed is that when she showers or takes a bath she is absolutely exhausted and hardly has the energy to get dressed after.

My mum likes a bath so I will run it for her with bubble bath in. I also put out some clothes in the bathroom so she doesn't have to go through looking for something to wear. Sometimes she doesn't wear what I put out and puts something else on. But she is also exhausted so a nice cup of tea and she's out like a light sitting on the settee.

My mum likes getting her nails done so she is quite happy. I don't remember the last time she did any laundry and she doesn't put anything in the basket as she has only worn it once! When I visit I gather up everything and do the laundry. I am sure some of it hasn't been worn at all but it's hard to tell so I just do the lot.

Perhaps it is just the simple task of showering or bathing that is getting too much to do daily for your mum. Perhaps you could coax her with the offer of some pampering like doing her hair, her nails or putting on the body lotion, a massage etc. This can also be very relaxing and calming. My mum likes the pampering a lot and these are some of the happy moments we get together which are the ones I hope to be able to look back on in the future.

There are the odd days when mum stays in her dressing gown. Provided it's not too regular and every day, I'm happy if she's happy. We have had rails put on the bath and
next to the shower for her to hold onto when she is there for reassurance. She needs them.

With dementia she will deteriorate over time and not manage the things she used to but just old age will be taking it's toll as well and perhaps she knows a shower or bath will tire her out. Her sense of smell won't be as good now and she wouldn't be aware if there was a slight odour. It hasn't reached that stage though.

If your mum isn't too energetic though she won't be breaking into a sweat which will help.

Mum is very stubborn and takes exception to us doing lists of things. We need to so if my sister's or brother has been in we know what needs doing and what's outstanding. Mum doesn't follow the sequence and resents finding any accounts or anything as she feels she is losing her control. She often says she feels useless. I try to reassura her by telling her she deserves a bit of help after all she has done for us. I know this lack of control issue is a reason she doesn't take advice so I try not to give it because if something is fixed in her head it will only annoy her when given and then the advice will be instantly forgotten but she will remain unsettled and not knowing why.

I have heard from others that small changes such as a bath mat can make a huge difference to people wanting to get in and out. It might appear as a hole or something unsafe to them but they won't say. If you have one try taking it away when she goes into the bath/shower and put it back for her to get out and see what happens. If she has sight of a mirror whilst in the shower/bath try changing the position slightly. If you haven't got hand rails there try putting a couple in. Trial and error I'm afraid and just when you think you've cracked it, it all changes again.

Hope you find a solution.

thanks so much for all these suggestions and taking the time to type all this ! will give it a go, sounds like you're on top of thinks - long may it continue ! :)

anne-marie

Aug 18, 2012
Staffordshire
If anyone can come up with suggestions I'll also be glad to hear them! My Mum is also starting to not shower regularly, but she does insist that she has a 'proper' wash every morning, although I do doubt how 'proper' it is! And I know she's hardly ever washing her hair as her shampoo remains in the bottle! Considering that she seems to have lost the ability to do most things like the laundry and eating properly, then it would surprise me if she's washing properly also. I've tentatively mentioned the lack of showering and washing her hair, but got put down very thoroughly, and have been reluctant to mention it again!

the only way I managed to persuade mum to let me wash her hair was to buy her lots of preety hair slides/grips - she's 88 and has very long, thick white hair which is a battle every day to get her to brush it properly. Recently had to have the Dyson repaired, I doubt you'd need three guesses to know what was blocking it ! I twigged to the personal care issue as I can hear running water but the towels are bone dry.

imnotloony

Aug 14, 2011
Kent
To Ann-Marie and Piph: I had the same problem with my Mum. As she lives with us, I had to take matters into hand and luckily saw a notice on GP's board for Age UK who do a showering/bathing service in our area (West Kent). Don't know if this is a national thing or not. I felt awkward offering to shower Mum myself - it seemed too personal. A wonderful lady comes weekly (Could be more often if we wanted) and has the right personality to get Mum in the shower and washed thoroughly. She washes her hair while in there. Forgot to say that soon after this service started (only £10 - fantastic value!) the carer suggested getting a shower chair or stool as Mum didn't seem confident standing in the shower. This may have been the initial reason why she stopped doing it herself - fear of slipping, even though there was a rubber mat. So obvious - why didn't I think of that? Found a shower chair on Freecycle (They are pretty dear to buy and District nurses said they would provide one but it took months!)
On occasions, eg after toilet 'accidents', I do give her a shower myself. I just have to bite the bullet and get on with it out of necessity. She's not keen on the whole thing but I have to insist!

imnotloony

Aug 14, 2011
Kent
Hi Piph. I realise that what works for us wouldn't necessary work for everyone. Fortunately my Mum is fairly submissive, though she did need a fair amount of persuasion to start with. We have a walk-in shower cubicle with a folding-door so Mum sits on the shower chair and the person doing the shower (the carer or me) holds the shower-head and directs it where necessary. It's not easy but can be done. I appreciate your problem with the larger shower and sliding doors and your Mum not agreeing to the whole thing. It's not easy is it? I know you can get shower stools fitted to the wall and wonder if that would help? I'm sure someone on here will come up with a better suggestion.:)

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
could you take the doors off and fit something like this, my mum has one, it's turned out to be the best thing:

Attachments

• showerl.jpg
    showerl.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 483

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Mum's last comment about hers was, I do wish you hadn't made me have this, I love having a bath! She might like seeing a bath in the bathroom but when she had the shower over the bath she showered never bathed The shower was originally put in for dad when he needed carers to help him. You can't win, so just go for it and ignore the fall out :D (maybe I should take that suggestion on board too :rolleyes:)

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
My Mum (lives with me) refused to shower for a long time insisting like others here she was having a wash down in the sink. She has foot problems so I bathe her feet twice a week and wash and cut her hair for her. I have a shower cubicle with a folding door and like a fellow poster here I aim the shower head where required, letting Mum do the soaping up with the sponge. I encountered much reluctance on the first occasion and have a similar fuss whenever I get her ready again. I use a bit of flattery and tell her she has wonderful skin for her age,83, and if she doesn't take care of it it would be such a shame. I warm her dressing gown and towel before announcing that it's shower time, so everything is snuggly. She also takes an age to dry herself but at least with a warm towel she doesn't feel cold. I have also found that she is more receptive to the shower in the morning rather than later in the day. Afterwards she always tells me how good she feels, but we always have the fuss of 'I would rather leave it today' or 'I've already had one' before hand. It's hard but I just have to insist that this needs to be done & remind her how good she will feel after. :D

sajimjo

Jun 18, 2013
Staffordshire
Wants to help me.

My partner is always asking "Can I do anything for you?" He is very active at nearly 80. I am always thinking of things he can do, so yesterday when I was in the garden planting out some cabbage plants I asked him to fetch a can of water. He returned with the petrol can, which was in a locked cupboard, there are 4 watering cans in or near the greenhouse. I said I hoped he hadn't put water in this can, it has got petrol in it, go and get some water please. You can guess what he did - fill that can with water!!!!!!!!!!!!! urgh. Later, when lucid, I pointed out what he had done, he was devastated and broke down. I think also realising he memory was going.

It is hard sometimes to think of jobs he can do, I either have to watch him or do things with him. In the meantime I have much to do he can't do! oh the frustration of it all :(

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
If anyone can come up with suggestions I'll also be glad to hear them! My Mum is also starting to not shower regularly, but she does insist that she has a 'proper' wash every morning, although I do doubt how 'proper' it is! And I know she's hardly ever washing her hair as her shampoo remains in the bottle! Considering that she seems to have lost the ability to do most things like the laundry and eating properly, then it would surprise me if she's washing properly also. I've tentatively mentioned the lack of showering and washing her hair, but got put down very thoroughly, and have been reluctant to mention it again!

The only time I could get my mother into the shower was when the hairdresser was coming - she had long stopped going out to the hairdresser. I don't think she was frightened of water or anything like that - she simply couldn't be bothered. (At that stage she couldn't be bothered with anything). If I tried to insist she would just get tearful and upset and TBH since I was there such a lot and had enough hassle anyway, I would just let it go.

However my sister who lived 5 hours drive away and hence visited a lot less often was able to be much tougher with her. It was a case of, 'Come on, you NEED a shower - you smell.' She would not take no for an answer. There would be tears and upset, but they were very quickly forgotten afterwards and I'm sure she must have felt better for it.

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
My mums started not shower quite a long time ago, it seems to be oe of this horrible disease brings. I ve just wrote a note in the book for the CW to see if they can get her to shower and change. Trouble is she thinks she's still doing everything and she's not:(. Don't know the answer I'm afraid. It seems a very common problem. lindax

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Mum had only had a couple of showers in the past year but has recently moved closer to me. In her new shower it has a seat and she's over the moon with it and showers every day.

I have read other people saying not to give them the option and just say, do you want a bath or shower today? So it seems like you're giving them the option. And then just start running the bath or shower. Worth a try!

I will say that at mum's last house she didn't use the bath because she got stuck in it and was worried about slipping in the shower. This can certainly take your confidence away can't it.

I'm having a bit of the opposite issue at the moment. Mum's always been incredibly shy, proud and I've never seen her naked, not even when I was a child. Recently she's taken to stripping off in front of me and even sitting on the loo for a poo when I was cleaning the shower this morning. Oh my goodness!!! I'm not ready for that yet!!

Good luck x

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
We don't have the problem of getting Mum to change her clothes, she has something different on every day - it's just that she puts clothes back in the drawer or wardrobe and doesn't realise when they need washing. When I took her to the GPs for blood tests about 10 days ago, I noticed while we were there that there was a large bloodstain from one of her nosebleeds on the front of her blouse - luckily it was a pattern with lots of different colour blotches so it wasn't too noticeable. I found it hanging in her wardrobe today, still with the stain, so put it in her laundry bin!

My mum at one point when I was putting the dirty clothes in the laundry basket she was taking them back out and putting them in the wardrobe:eek: now she not changing:(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sheree.fielder1