Personal Care - carers all cancelled

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
My father gets very aggressive when we try and clean him. Usually we are able to take him to a care home once a week for cleaning and for any emergency poo situations. However - the lockdown has meant they won't do this anymore. It takes 4 of their staff to clean him. I've spoken to social services but they have said they may not be able to provide 4 carers to help wash him (which is understandable in this situation). Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts or advice. I'm happy to help to restrain him while other people wash him but I have no idea how to do it... He gets so violent (but otherwise is quite placid).

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
Have you spoken to the GP about something to calm him down before doing personal care?
Yes - he has diazepam and trazadone but he raises the Devil even when we dose him up on that... really does need someone to hold him.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Have you considered emergency respite until the lockdown is over?
Is emergency respite available at the moment? My mum is in hospital flowing a fall last weekend and we think she is no longer safe at home but the hospital social care team are working towards sending her back home with additional support from carers. I phoned 19 care homes on Tuesday, none are taking new clients. I've contacted her LA adult care team four times but still waiting a response. Age UK cannot help. I've run out of ideas!

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
Is emergency respite available at the moment? My mum is in hospital flowing a fall last weekend and we think she is no longer safe at home but the hospital social care team are working towards sending her back home with additional support from carers. I phoned 19 care homes on Tuesday, none are taking new clients. I've contacted her LA adult care team four times but still waiting a response. Age UK cannot help. I've run out of ideas!
Yes - all care homes around us the same. Not taking on new clients, nor respite.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @uktoday . Teepa Snow has some videos on YouTube about how to approach personal care for people with dementia. I’m not sure if any would be useful to you. Here’s a link to one of them

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
Have you considered emergency respite until the lockdown is over?
Hi yes we are looking into emergency respite. The only home that is offering it is one that is classed as inadequate on the CQC website.

We have had a couple of poo nightmares but we were able to get people in to assist - though of course all that has been cancelled.

I have no idea what we should do. My mother refuses to put Dad into a home at this time due to Covid - and we can't get carers in. I'm dreading if there is another poo crisis and have no idea what we would do...

My father has incredibly challenging behaviour and will fight anyone who goes near him when he is distressed...

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
Your situation sounds intolerable. Have you tried phoning social services?
Yes. They suggested using respite vouchers - but then the only home that is taking people is the lowest rating one in the area.

I've called up the dementia rapid response team and their response was to put him in a home until everything calms down..

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Sometimes the CQC rating doesnt reflect what is actually happening in the home - sometimes homes with an inadequate rating make steps to rectify the problems, but the rating still stands until they have another inspection. Sometimes the rating reflects management, rather than the care given.

Often with dementia, though, there are no good answers. You just have to weigh it all up and go with the least worse.